Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Default Strange noise - deathwatch beetles?

Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

I have ruled out any noises coming from my PC or anything else in my
room OR anything coming from surrounding rooms. I can't see it being
from otuside as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from near the window
and its happening really late like 5am when its pretty much dead around
here.

It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
Beetles!!

Anyone had any experience of this? What is the noise ment to be like?

I stuck my head into the attic - it has that insulation stuff all over
it - I coudlnt ehar anything but the problem is that its really cold up
there and you can sort of hear the outside as well so I would think the
noise I can hearin my room would not be audible from sticking my head
in.

Any ideas on what I can do?
Are there any tools I can buy on the cheap that can detect sound? i.e
the clsoer I move it the brighter an LED light will get or something -
bearing in mind the nosie is VERY faint!

If not then how I DIY a way of gettin rid of any possible infestation? I
don;t get where these things would randoly come from - I am in Hampshire
and reading onlien suggests they do pop up in the SOuth!

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote in message ...
[...]

Make a stethoscope! I thought I heard deathwatch beetle once when staying in
an old farmhouse, but couldn't be sure. I advise you to Google for their
lifecycle and habits as it might rule them out as the culprits in your
attic.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

I have ruled out any noises coming from my PC or anything else in my
room OR anything coming from surrounding rooms. I can't see it being
from outside as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from near the window
and its happening really late like 5am when its pretty much dead around
here.

It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
Beetles!!

Anyone had any experience of this? What is the noise meant to be like?

I stuck my head into the attic - it has that insulation stuff all over
it - I couldn't hear anything but the problem is that its really cold up there
and you can sort of hear the outside as well so I would think the noise
I can hear in my room would not be audible from sticking my head in.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I've never hear beetles but mice seem like scraping when gnawing and
the sound of them running is quite distinctive.

What plumbing is there in the attic? Also, it could be a bird roosting
or even something flapping in the guttering. Is the loft door secure?
That might rattle in a draught. Put a brick on top of the door and that
should change it if not cure it.

The birds need to be discouraged if it is them by blocking any access
points that will have been caused originally by weathering and rot. If
you have bats though you will have environmental protection issues.

Whichever, if either; you need to make sure the attic is empty before
closing any holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mo
writes
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

It's ghosts - get yourself exorcised

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote in message ...
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

I have ruled out any noises coming from my PC or anything else in my
room OR anything coming from surrounding rooms. I can't see it being
from otuside as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from near the window
and its happening really late like 5am when its pretty much dead around
here.

It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
Beetles!!

Anyone had any experience of this? What is the noise ment to be like?

If the noise is faint, it won't be deathwatch beetle. They make a
surprisingly loud noise with their head banging - you can hear it over a
normal TV.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:
mo wrote in message ...
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

I have ruled out any noises coming from my PC or anything else in my
room OR anything coming from surrounding rooms. I can't see it being
from outside as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from near the window
and its happening really late like 5am when its pretty much dead around
here.

It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
Beetles!!

Anyone had any experience of this? What is the noise meant to be like?

If the noise is faint, it won't be deathwatch beetle. They make a surprisingly
loud noise with their head banging - you can hear it over a normal TV.

What are you doing up so late?

Don't you have a bed to go to?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ps.com...

nightjar wrote:
mo wrote in message ...
[...]

Nightjars are a creatures of the night - and their singing voice isn't that
great.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:48:36 -0600, mo mo wrote:

Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

I have ruled out any noises coming from my PC or anything else in my
room OR anything coming from surrounding rooms. I can't see it being
from otuside as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from near the window
and its happening really late like 5am when its pretty much dead around
here.

It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
Beetles!!

If your house is old and has old oak timbers you could have death
watch beetle.

If it was midsummer the noise could be deathwatch beetle,

It's much more likely to be mice.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , mo
writes
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

It's ghosts - get yourself exorcised

--
geoff

Whats running got to do with ghosts !!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Taylor wrote:

It's much more likely to be mice.

Mice do come in from the cold this time of
year. Our Big Nipper rat trap has already
caught two mice.

--
Tony Williams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:

Two? We've had 31 so far this year.

Wish I knew how the little b*st*rds are getting in.

(Thanks, but I already know all the stuff about what tiny
gaps they can get through!)

All right then.

It's rats atm for us. A family of probably 5,
two big parents and three youngsters, (although
the youngsters don't stay small for long).

I've shot the big male for certain, probably one
other, possibly another, and the Big Nipper has
caught a little one. One, maybe two, to go.

I keep missing the small ones though. The air rifle
has been zero'd in and I can do a 1 inch group on a
target at 20 foot or so. The conclusion I've come
to is that the reflexes of the younsters are so
quick that they can hear the start of the air gun
mechanism and will have jumped away before the
slug has got there. That's my excuse anyway.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:15:46 +0000, Owain
wrote:

|mo wrote:
| I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
| faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.
| It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
| Beetles!!
| Are there any tools I can buy on the cheap that can detect sound?
|
|A stethoscope?

A piece of dowel is cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Nov 2006 11:39:28 GMT, Huge wrote:

|On 2006-11-29, Tony Williams wrote:
| In article ,
| Bill Taylor wrote:
|
| It's much more likely to be mice.
|
| Mice do come in from the cold this time of
| year. Our Big Nipper rat trap has already
| caught two mice.
|
|Two? We've had 31 so far this year.
|
|Wish I knew how the little b*st*rds are getting in.
|
|(Thanks, but I already know all the stuff about what tiny
|gaps they can get through!)

They are breeding, you have to get the last female. :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

I have ruled out any noises coming from my PC or anything else in my
room OR anything coming from surrounding rooms. I can't see it being
from otuside as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from near the window
and its happening really late like 5am when its pretty much dead around
here.

It seems to be coming from the attic and someone suggested Deathwatch
Beetles!!

We have the same. I left the loft hatch open last night, and while I was
sitting on the bog, a wren flew in, took one look at me and flew out..

Opened a window and its gone for now. Could swear I had it all rodent
proofed to the hilt too..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
We have the same. I left the loft hatch open last night, and while I was
sitting on the bog, a wren flew in, took one look at me and flew out..

Opened a window and its gone for now. Could swear I had it all rodent
proofed to the hilt too..

Well there's your problem.

You rodent proofed it to the hilt, but completely forgot about the
hazards of wrens, completely different kettle of fish/animal/bird

Velvet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

[...]

good excuse to buy a compound bow :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Hi,

Probably 'book lice':

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=book+lice&btnG=Search&meta =

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Staffbull writes

raden wrote:
In message , mo
writes
Hi
I have noticed a strange noise in my bedroom recently. Its like a very
faint tapping noise - its fairly random and very quiet.

It's ghosts - get yourself exorcised

--
geoff

Whats running got to do with ghosts !!!!!!!!!! ;-)

What's running got to do with anything ?

The line above my reply says

"Its like a very faint tapping noise"

Supernatural presence if I ever heard of one

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Hello all, thanks for the replies

Right - I don't think its any sort of CREATURE because the noise is now
pretty much constant AND It is only audible from my room and not any of the
others around

I am feeling then that it must he something in the attic moving around or
most likely the plumbing or something...the odd thing is when I went up
there (stuck my head in) i couldnt hear the sound - partly because if was
prob drown out by all the other nosie of the roads etc)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

mo mo wrote in :

Hello all, thanks for the replies

Right - I don't think its any sort of CREATURE because the noise is
now pretty much constant AND It is only audible from my room and not
any of the others around

I am feeling then that it must he something in the attic moving around
or most likely the plumbing or something...the odd thing is when I
went up there (stuck my head in) i couldnt hear the sound - partly
because if was prob drown out by all the other nosie of the roads etc)

with regards to the actual noise

Basically I have a fairly small room - I have my pc desk near the middle
- i can hear the faint noise from there. If I mvoe around the room i
don't really get any closer - even if i stand high up i can't tell if
its coming from above the ceiling for sure but it def seems that way
because i thin kit owuld be more obvious if it was coming fro mthe side.

so i cant use a stethoscope - i suppose what i need a a metal dectector
for sound - somehting that will pick up very faint sound and then give
me a visual indication of when that sound is increasing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

On 2006-11-29, Staffbull wrote:
good excuse to buy a compound bow :-)

I used a .410 shotgun on our rats. Worked a treat.

You couldn't use a shotgun around here.
The dysfunctional little scrote just down
the road would be phoning the police, the
council, and probably his MP.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
mo mo wrote in :

[...]

If it's rodents (which can make tapping noises) then it may have been
when you stuck your head up in the loft, they froze, it all went
silent.

I'd suggest putting a *small* bit of fruit and nut chocolate just
inside the loft, but on a saucer or something, so it can't be
disturbed. Leave it overnight, check the next day, and see if it's
gone. If not, leave it a few days - if it's still not gone then it's
unlikely to be rodents. If, however, it's vanished, then you've found
your likely culprit.

Velvet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:

Right - I don't think its any sort of CREATURE because the noise is now
pretty much constant AND It is only audible from my room and not any of the
others around

How far apart are the taps?
I have an odd tapping noise that comes from the roof around much of the
house.
I discovered that it was dew dropping from the roof on to the roof
below.
I haven't got around to putting the spouting up yet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , mo mo wrote:

Hello all, thanks for the replies

Right - I don't think its any sort of CREATURE because the noise is now
pretty much constant AND It is only audible from my room and not any of the
others around

I am feeling then that it must he something in the attic moving around or
most likely the plumbing or something...the odd thing is when I went up
there (stuck my head in) i couldnt hear the sound - partly because if was
prob drown out by all the other nosie of the roads etc)

What about Central Heating? We get ticking noises (some loud, some
faint) around our house, as the pipes first expand and later contract,
as the CH goes on and off.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
In article , mo mo wrote:

Hello all, thanks for the replies

Right - I don't think its any sort of CREATURE because the noise is now
pretty much constant AND It is only audible from my room and not any of the
others around

I am feeling then that it must he something in the attic moving around or
most likely the plumbing or something...the odd thing is when I went up
there (stuck my head in) i couldnt hear the sound - partly because if was
prob drown out by all the other nosie of the roads etc)

What about Central Heating? We get ticking noises (some loud, some
faint) around our house, as the pipes first expand and later contract,
as the CH goes on and off.

You can get that with plastic guttering too in sunny weather it expands
and contracts when it cools. But it is happening on cue at around 5 pm
IIRC, so it must be plumbing as was said early on in the thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:

Couldn't you take out the phone with the first barrel, and the
scrote with the second?

Actually a few tradesman have remarked that the
scrotess is the really anal one... "I'll never
do a job there again, ever".

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in
ups.com:

John wrote:
In article , mo mo
wrote:

[...]

the odd thing is that this noise is very recent and its all day now

i fear it might be rats - yuk!

tho how the **** did they get into the roof?!?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , mo mo wrote:

the odd thing is that this noise is very recent and its all day now

i fear it might be rats - yuk!

If you think it's rats, all you have to phone is "phone the council" --
I think all councils are still dead good at this sort of thing (pest
control), and they'll be straight round. This will at least put your
mind at rest, if it's not rats.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:44:03 -0600, mo mo wrote:

the odd thing is that this noise is very recent and its all day now

Does it sound a little like a mechanical wrist watch, and very feint?

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:44:03 -0600, mo mo wrote:

the odd thing is that this noise is very recent and its all day now

Squirrals perhaps?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris
writes
Pete C wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:44:03 -0600, mo mo wrote:

the odd thing is that this noise is very recent and its all day now

Squirrals perhaps?

My parents had an old cottage with death watch beetles.
You only get them in really old timber, and they're only noisy in the
mating season, which is late spring to early summer, so it's not them.

As this is uk.d-i-y I think Mo should rig an infrared webcam in his roof
to see if he can see anything.
IME (and my experience is considerable) the smaller the wildlife in your
roof/walls the noisier it is.

Or if we're going to guess, he should at least say how old his house is
and what sort of area it's in.

--
Sue ]