Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaillant ecotec plus system boiler with vr400

I've just replaced my venerable Worcester 35 with one of these and my
wife is bemoaning the lack of a 'heating advance' button as we called it
here.
Does such a thing exist, I've trawled the hand books and the only thing
that comes close is something called 'party mode' which requires one of
a myriad similar buttons to be pressed 3 times. Now seeing as pressing
the wrong button 3 times may well alter the setting for th_nd_world
setting I'd be pleased if there was an easier way that I've missed.

Any ideas?
--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mark
writes
I've just replaced my venerable Worcester 35 with one of these and my
wife is bemoaning the lack of a 'heating advance' button as we called
it here.
Does such a thing exist, I've trawled the hand books and the only thing
that comes close is something called 'party mode' which requires one of
a myriad similar buttons to be pressed 3 times. Now seeing as pressing
the wrong button 3 times may well alter the setting for th_nd_world
setting I'd be pleased if there was an easier way that I've missed.

Any ideas?

You seem to be confusing programmer functions with boiler functions

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got the VR360 programmer and it is very similar to yours. I
couldn't find a heating advance function either. This model can be
configured to set up to 3 different temperatures a day, so what I did is
to set-up an early morning programme of say 20degrees for getting out of
bed, then immediately after set up another all day programme at a low
temp say 15degrees. Then if heat is reqd during the day, use the quick
veto function which allows you to over-ride the current set temp.
Basically you press the f(unction) button once then turn the dial to
select the new temp reqd. Pressing the f again turns quick veto off and
returns back to the 15degress.
Cheers
Gary

"mark" wrote in message
I've just replaced my venerable Worcester 35 with one of these and my
wife is bemoaning the lack of a 'heating advance' button as we called
it here.
Does such a thing exist, I've trawled the hand books and the only
thing that comes close is something called 'party mode' which requires
one of a myriad similar buttons to be pressed 3 times. Now seeing as
pressing the wrong button 3 times may well alter the setting for
th_nd_world setting I'd be pleased if there was an easier way that
I've missed.

Any ideas?
--
Mark Roberts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , raden
writes
In message , mark
writes
I've just replaced my venerable Worcester 35 with one of these and my
wife is bemoaning the lack of a 'heating advance' button as we called
here.
Does such a thing exist, I've trawled the hand books and the only
thing that comes close is something called 'party mode' which requires
one of a myriad similar buttons to be pressed 3 times. Now seeing as
pressing the wrong button 3 times may well alter the setting for
th_nd_world setting I'd be pleased if there was an easier way that
I've missed.

Any ideas?

You seem to be confusing programmer functions with boiler functions

That is quite possible.

I'm looking for a function on the optional clip in programmer (the
vaillant vrc 400) which will 'advance' to the next programme setting
(usually to the next 'on' phase as the wife has got cold during an 'off'
stage) and so make the boiler (a vaillant 630 which has a basic control
now supplemented by the vrc 400) heat up the radiators which is indeed a
boiler function.

The vrc 400 allows all sorts of adjustments to be made to boiler
functions via a cunning series of permutations using only a few buttons.
One of these series of button pushes does provide the function I seek.
Unfortunately one wrong button push could do something else altogether
so I am wondering if there is a simpler way to reproduce the 'advance'
function (provided on the worcester via a very large button labelled
'heating advance') for people like my wife who has better things to do
than pore over a boiler manual (like me) when she occasionally gets
cold.

--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:12:14 +0000, mark wrote:

I've just replaced my venerable Worcester 35 with one of these and my
wife is bemoaning the lack of a 'heating advance' button as we called it
here.
Does such a thing exist, I've trawled the hand books and the only thing
that comes close is something called 'party mode' which requires one of
a myriad similar buttons to be pressed 3 times. Now seeing as pressing
the wrong button 3 times may well alter the setting for th_nd_world
setting I'd be pleased if there was an easier way that I've missed.

Any ideas?

You have not chosen (or had chosen for you) a very user friendly control.

Unclip out the VR400 (if you still have the trim plate it can be put back).

Wire up a Horstmann C12 or C17 single channel programmer and connect in
series with the wall thermostat.

Or replace the wall themrostat with a suitable programmable thermostat.

(I'd go for a Centaur stat 7) to advance the heating she simply has to
press the plus button a few times to bring up a higher target temp until
the next "program point".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
Any ideas?

You have not chosen (or had chosen for you) a very user friendly control.

Unclip out the VR400 (if you still have the trim plate it can be put back).

I chose this one specifically as I wish to use the weather compensation
feature which seems to be working as required.

Wire up a Horstmann C12 or C17 single channel programmer and connect in
series with the wall thermostat.

Or replace the wall themrostat with a suitable programmable thermostat.

(I'd go for a Centaur stat 7) to advance the heating she simply has to
press the plus button a few times to bring up a higher target temp until
the next "program point".

So; there is no easy way then

Ah well thanks for all the help everybody , looks like 'piece of paper
with instructions taped to the wall' then

--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

Well I've read the VRC400 manual and reckon that the "quick veto" function
is what
you are looking for.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Alexander
writes

Well I've read the VRC400 manual and reckon that the "quick veto" function
is what
you are looking for.

I think you have to be in an 'on' phase for this to work. I don't think
it works when you are in an 'off' phase.

I think it's going to be OK though.
The party mode seems to work and having it written done on a piece of
paper seems to have satisfied the wife
3 presses of 'f' no less and no more and then another single press to
cancel.

One more moan though; why on earth aren't these boiler displays back
lit? The Worcester was the same. Are there any with back lit displays?
If not; why not? It surely cant be that expensive can it?
--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:25:02 +0000, mark wrote:

[...]

You EITHER go for a highly complex but essentially automatic heating
controls which you leave well alone. OR
You go for simple controls and operate them as you feel you need to.

It seems that he and she are wanting differing things, is that not ever
the case though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
You EITHER go for a highly complex but essentially automatic heating
controls which you leave well alone. OR
You go for simple controls and operate them as you feel you need to.

Really? If there is a function that allows 'advancing' (i.e. the three
presses of the 'f' button) then surely they knew that people might wish
to do this.
Its basically an over ride function.

Anyways it seems the problem is solved and so far; the setting for
s.dis_ster has remained 0

It seems that he and she are wanting differing things, is that not ever
the case though...

Nah. She loves the way we can have a nice warm house without the
stifling heat you get when someones cranked everything up because they
felt a bit cold.

Actually folks I can recommend the whole system, and its a tad cheaper
than a micromat.

vaillant ecotec plus 630
vaillant vr65 control box with 2 off 2 port valves
vaillant unistor cylinder
vaillant vr400 weather compensator using the vr10 cylinder control.

I'll let you know if it breaks...................

--
Mark Roberts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
Actually folks I can recommend the whole system, and its a tad cheaper
than a micromat.

vaillant ecotec plus 630
vaillant vr65 control box with 2 off 2 port valves
vaillant unistor cylinder
vaillant vr400 weather compensator using the vr10 cylinder control.

I'll let you know if it breaks...................

might be what I am looking for...

can you tell me if you can program a higher flow temp in the DHW loop than
the heating loop to maximise condensing efficiency?

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Alexander
writes

"mark" wrote in message
Actually folks I can recommend the whole system, and its a tad cheaper
than a micromat.

vaillant ecotec plus 630
vaillant vr65 control box with 2 off 2 port valves
vaillant unistor cylinder
vaillant vr400 weather compensator using the vr10 cylinder control.

I'll let you know if it breaks...................

might be what I am looking for...

can you tell me if you can program a higher flow temp in the DHW loop than
the heating loop to maximise condensing efficiency?

Not without looking but the manuals are available at Vaillants site in
pdf form.
I'll have a look myself as soon as I'm less unsober.....
--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Alexander
writes

"mark" wrote in message
Actually folks I can recommend the whole system, and its a tad cheaper
than a micromat.

vaillant ecotec plus 630
vaillant vr65 control box with 2 off 2 port valves
vaillant unistor cylinder
vaillant vr400 weather compensator using the vr10 cylinder control.

I'll let you know if it breaks...................

might be what I am looking for...

can you tell me if you can program a higher flow temp in the DHW loop than
the heating loop to maximise condensing efficiency?

AIUI it sorts its own flow temperatures for the heating depending on how
cold it is outside.
It also works out its own flow temperature for the heating (subject to a
maximum which you can program).
There is of course only a single flow and a single return controlled by
motorised valve/s ( 2x2ports in my case)
--
Mark Roberts

Vaillant EcoTec or EcoMax? Gary UK diy 4 September 7th 06 09:12 PM
Electromagnetic Compatibility of Vaillant Ecotec 831? Confused UK diy 80 June 26th 06 07:37 PM
Vaillant Ecotec 837 or WB Greenstar 35CDI combi ?? [email protected] UK diy 3 June 20th 06 02:33 AM
vaillant ecotec Boiler and VRT360 room stat problem elad UK diy 2 August 17th 05 09:25 AM
Vaillant system boiler suiko UK diy 4 July 20th 05 08:35 AM