White Matt Emulsion instead of Undercoat?

Old November 30th 06, 01:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default White Matt Emulsion instead of Undercoat?

Hi there,

I've been filling and sanding an already painted plastered wall (in the
living room) and will be repainting it soon. My question is, do I need to
use undercoat for the best results before painting with my final colour
(cream matt emulsion), or can I make do with using some white matt emulsion
as an undercoat (as I've got a few tins of this in the house already).

I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what I've
already got.

Thanks,

Ste

Old November 30th 06, 02:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"ste-m" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been filling and sanding an already painted plastered wall (in the
living room) and will be repainting it soon. My question is, do I need to
use undercoat for the best results before painting with my final colour
(cream matt emulsion), or can I make do with using some white matt
emulsion as an undercoat (as I've got a few tins of this in the house
already).

I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what I've
already got.

Light colours are the hardest to obscure the underneath. Put on what ever
you have that's cheap and close to the colour. Sounds like white is fine,
and always cheap even if you have to buy it. Darker colours are much more
opaque and cover any colour well, sometimes in one coat depending on paint
quality.

--
Mike W

Old November 30th 06, 02:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

ste-m wrote:

Hi there,

I've been filling and sanding an already painted plastered wall (in the
living room) and will be repainting it soon. My question is, do I need to
use undercoat for the best results before painting with my final colour
(cream matt emulsion), or can I make do with using some white matt emulsion
as an undercoat (as I've got a few tins of this in the house already).

I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what I've
already got.

On plaster, emulsion will be fine. If you are painting new plaster (or
filler!) that has not been painted before, then water it down a little
bit for the first coat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old November 30th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

ste-m wrote:

Hi there,

I've been filling and sanding an already painted plastered wall (in
the living room) and will be repainting it soon. My question is, do
I need to use undercoat for the best results before painting with my
final colour (cream matt emulsion), or can I make do with using some
white matt emulsion as an undercoat (as I've got a few tins of this
in the house already).
I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what
I've already got.

Thanks,

Ste

Undercoat is more suitable for surfaces such as wood which are going to be
gloss painted. I wouldn't use it under emulsion on a plastered surface but
would simply use more than coat of emulsion if needed. White emulsion under
cream will be fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old November 30th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 1:22 am, "ste-m" wrote:
Hi there,

I've been filling and sanding an already painted plastered wall (in the
living room) and will be repainting it soon. My question is, do I need to
use undercoat for the best results before painting with my final colour
(cream matt emulsion), or can I make do with using some white matt emulsion
as an undercoat (as I've got a few tins of this in the house already).

I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what I've
already got.

You don't (normally) use "undercoat" on walls. The white matt will be
fine but make sure the walls are clean and free from dust.

MBQ

Old November 30th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what I've
already got.

White emulsion is the correct solution. Do not use undercoat.

Christian.