Fuse identification

Old November 29th 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuse identification

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

It says:

60A KR
250VAC4
BS1361 1947
Class Q
440VAC4
BS888 1952

Any ideas?

I'm currently assuming it counts as BS88. It is a REC fuse for a single
phase domestic supply.

Christian.

Old November 29th 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

BS888 1952

Obviously, that read be BS88 1952.

Christian.

Old November 29th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

Is there any reason why it can't conform to both standards?

--
Skipweasel
Old November 29th 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

Is there any reason why it can't conform to both standards?

yes, he does seem con fused.

NT

Old November 29th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a fuse that I'm trying to work out is BS1361 or BS88.
Unfortunately, it has both written on it!

Is there any reason why it can't conform to both standards?

I don't know the standards well enough to know if they are
contradictory. I just want to know what to write on the certificate!

Right now, it is BS88...

Christian

Old November 29th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

I don't know the standards well enough to know if they are
contradictory. I just want to know what to write on the certificate!

Right now, it is BS88...

For that purpose I'd put BS 1361 (Type 2) 'cos that's the usual type of
supplier's fuse and won't raise any eyebrows. I presume it has smooth
round end-caps with no projecting blades or bolt lugs(?). It's quite
old, that fuse, have you thought about treating the cut-out to a new one?

--
Andy
Old November 30th 06, 08:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

For that purpose I'd put BS 1361 (Type 2) 'cos that's the usual type of
supplier's fuse and won't raise any eyebrows. I presume it has smooth
round end-caps with no projecting blades or bolt lugs(?). It's quite
old, that fuse, have you thought about treating the cut-out to a new one?

Yes. It has smooth end caps, like a standard HRC fuse. Presumably it
isn't up to me to treat it to a new fuse. That is, surely, the
responsibility of the electricity company?

Christian.

Old November 30th 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2006 00:03:13 -0800 someone who may be "Christian McArdle"
wrote this:-

For that purpose I'd put BS 1361 (Type 2) 'cos that's the usual type of
supplier's fuse and won't raise any eyebrows. I presume it has smooth
round end-caps with no projecting blades or bolt lugs(?). It's quite
old, that fuse, have you thought about treating the cut-out to a new one?

Yes. It has smooth end caps, like a standard HRC fuse.

BS88 fuses are HRC fuses, but they have lugs on the end for fitting
in the holder. What you have is undoubtedly something like
http://www.thefusecompany.com/fuse.p...roducts_id=132

Presumably it
isn't up to me to treat it to a new fuse. That is, surely, the
responsibility of the electricity company?

Yes.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old November 30th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

Yes. It has smooth end caps, like a standard HRC fuse. Presumably it
isn't up to me to treat it to a new fuse. That is, surely, the
responsibility of the electricity company?

Yes of course, but I was assuming you were taking, shall we say, a DIY
approach to performing a supply disconnection. Perhaps I'm jumping to
an unfair conclusion...

--
Andy
Old November 30th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes of course, but I was assuming you were taking, shall we say, a DIY
approach to performing a supply disconnection. Perhaps I'm jumping to an
unfair conclusion...

Well, I did have to remove the fuse in order to read it. There was no seal
on it. I suppose that might have something to do with the time I replaced
the consumer unit, though...

Christian.