Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower Sealant

"John" wrote in message

What is a good white sealant ? - I bought one only to find it was water
based so I haven't used it in the shower zone.

So is concrete!

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is a good white sealant ? - I bought one only to find it was water
based so I haven't used it in the shower zone.

I want a good vinegery sticky old fashioned white sealant to do around and
under a cubicle and tray.

Any Screwfix recommendations?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
What is a good white sealant ? - I bought one only to find it was water
based so I haven't used it in the shower zone.

I want a good vinegery sticky old fashioned white sealant to do around and
under a cubicle and tray.

Any Screwfix recommendations?

What you have is acrylic. What you need is silicone, preferably sanitary
silicone. Screwfix have several.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What you have is acrylic. What you need is silicone, preferably sanitary
silicone. Screwfix have several.

--
Grunff

Pay a bit more for the mould resistant ones while you are at it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:
What you have is acrylic. What you need is silicone, preferably sanitary
silicone. Screwfix have several.

Pay a bit more for the mould resistant ones while you are at it

That's what sanitary silicone is, it has a mould inhibitor.

--
Grunff

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunff
Newshound wrote:
What you have is acrylic. What you need is silicone, preferably sanitary
silicone. Screwfix have several.

Pay a bit more for the mould resistant ones while you are at it

That's what sanitary silicone is, it has a mould inhibitor.

--
Grunff
The trouble I found with using silicone is that once you open the cartridge it will harden in the nozzle after use, even if you think you have sealed it properly.

I came across a polymer, Evo-stick's multipurpose 'Superior to Silicon' sealant. It claims to be superior to silicon and completely waterproof. I have used it for a shower with good results and it doesn't harden in the tube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I want a good vinegery sticky old fashioned white sealant to do around and
under a cubicle and tray.

There's no need for it to smell of vinegar to be genuine silicone. However,
if you really want it to stink, look for the word "acetoxy cure" on the
tube.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pebe" wrote in message
news
The trouble I found with using silicone is that once you open the
cartridge it will harden in the nozzle after use, even if you think you
have sealed it properly.

I always put a 4" (or thereabouts) piece of brown packing tape round the
nozzle end, like a flag, when I have finished and wiped the nozzle with
toilet paper. If it does 'go off' then it is only usually a small plug in
the end which can easily be removed by using the gun or picking out with a
panel pin etc.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
What is a good white sealant ? - I bought one only to find it was water
based so I haven't used it in the shower zone.

I want a good vinegery sticky old fashioned white sealant to do around and
under a cubicle and tray.

Any Screwfix recommendations?

John

Unibond Power Shower sealant is good in this situation - also for sealing
uPVC windows prone to condensation

Sealant over sealant? al UK diy 4 February 18th 06 06:11 PM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM
Grout Sealant cover Home Ownership 9 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Sealant - Again alexbartman UK diy 4 January 20th 05 02:17 PM
Best grout / sealant for shower ceramic tile ? MAG Home Repair 5 June 19th 04 04:48 PM