Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Legionella & Flexible Tap Hoses

For all the 'Ostriches' that flamed me for an earlier posting on this
subject I would like to point them to this address.

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Info...ary%202006.pdf

The Health Protection Agency are investigating an unprecedented rise in
cases of legionella this autumn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

I would have thought there would be enough flow in most pipes to wash
out any eddies.
Only modern cases I've seen of Legionella were in a hospital I worked
in- hot water supply was scalding hot to prevent problems.
Unfortunately, the piping had been modified as the hospital grew. The
consequence was that the main hot water pipe had a bypass- a hot water
pipe had been taken off the supply then reattached at a seperate point
nearer the ward in question. This gave the water two different routes
to take- one was high resistance so very little (if any) bothered to go
that way. The consequential stasis in a moderately hot environment was
Legionella friendly, and this contaminated water was slowly "drip-fed"
back into the water supply near the ward. The ward in question was for
people with impaired immune systems and lung problems- and the main
water supply effected went straight to the showers.... Couldn't have
been worse really! IE people at risk from infection (lung infection
particularly) breathing in nebulised Legionella! Luckily the infection
was reasonably contained (though there were sadly deaths)... A
cautionary tale!!

Ben

BTW, most people think it's to do with infection whilst in the Foreign
Legion. Infact this is incorrect. It was first recognised in a hotel in
Phoenix, Arizona (and is also sometimes called Phoenix disease). It
was, however, recognised, amongst people visiting the hotel for a
convention of ex-members of the aforesaid Legion....

Merryterry wrote:
For all the 'Ostriches' that flamed me for an earlier posting on this
subject I would like to point them to this address.

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Info...ary%202006.pdf

The Health Protection Agency are investigating an unprecedented rise in
cases of legionella this autumn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
[...]

Actually not correct. The American Legion after which the diesease is named
has no connection with the (French) Foreign Legion. Details about the
American Legion here

www.legion.org

It was first recognised in a hotel
in Phoenix, Arizona (and is also sometimes called Phoenix disease). It
was, however, recognised, amongst people visiting the hotel for a
convention of ex-members of the aforesaid Legion....

Wrong again.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/top...a/gen_info.htm

for more detail.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 22, 12:32 pm, "Ben" wrote:
BTW, most people think it's to do with infection whilst in the Foreign
Legion. Infact this is incorrect.

So far you are correct.

It was first recognised in a hotel in
Phoenix, Arizona (and is also sometimes called Phoenix disease). It

Now it starts getting a bit shaky.

was, however, recognised, amongst people visiting the hotel for a
convention of ex-members of the aforesaid Legion....

I suppose America is foreign to some people. So is getting the basic
facts right. A quick Google will put you right.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from " contains these words:

I suppose America is foreign to some people.

Most people in a .uk group, for a start!

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from " contains these words:

I suppose America is foreign to some people.

Most people in a .uk group, for a start!

And not a few Americans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:
For all the 'Ostriches' that flamed me for an earlier posting on this
subject I would like to point them to this address.

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Info...ary%202006.pdf

The Health Protection Agency are investigating an unprecedented rise in
cases of legionella this autumn.

That's timely, I was just going to order some. Maybe I'll use copper
instead.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-22 14:34:26 +0000, "Weatherlawyer" said:

Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from " contains these words:

I suppose America is foreign to some people.

Most people in a .uk group, for a start!

And not a few Americans.

It is reputed that some 95% don't have passports.

Probably best really.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:00:50 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

It is reputed that some 95% don't have passports.

Probably best really.....

Well, they can go to the "International" pavilion in Disney Land, buy
a "Disney Passport" and walk round "Norway" "France" "Japan" etc and
get it stamped along the way. That's close enough.

After all they are taught every day from starting primary school that
"all the other countries in the world are just like us, they just
speak a different language".

Little wonder then that trying to explain to a yankee supplier what
"Customs Duties" and "Documentation Charges", are when they have
shipped a single back ordered USD 7.00 panel lamp by airfreight
costing Ca £140 is completely and utterly fruitless and futile.

DG (Going to Chicago on Friday)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flexible hoses are a pain.
Studies have discovered (KIWA in NL) that certain types of plastics are
very suspebtible to bio-film forming
Bio-film forms inside the hose (it will also form in copper but at a
slower rate) and is the feedstock for any bug which passes it. This
results in bacteria growth

When dead ends are not or can not be removed, then reflux of bacteria
remains and chances of catching legioenlla, or indeed other illnesses
via bacteria, will continue to exist.

It is therefore necessary to determine which risk points exist in the
water tubing

One can addionally opt for solving the problem by implemeting
legioenlla preventing techniques.

Merryterry schreef:

For all the 'Ostriches' that flamed me for an earlier posting on this
subject I would like to point them to this address.

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Info...ary%202006.pdf

The Health Protection Agency are investigating an unprecedented rise in
cases of legionella this autumn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ben"
saying something like:

BTW, most people think it's to do with infection whilst in the Foreign
Legion. Infact this is incorrect.

Quite right. The Foreign Legion infection involves camels.
--

Dave

Tap flexible hoses Broadback UK diy 6 October 5th 20 03:45 AM
Braided Flexible Hoses used in Plumbing Systems Merryterry UK diy 60 March 9th 06 10:04 AM
Which flexible tap hoses do I need?! Lobster UK diy 7 July 16th 05 09:46 AM
Life of Flexible Hoses Edward W. Thompson UK diy 6 July 11th 05 06:38 PM
Flexible tap connectors [email protected] UK diy 7 February 22nd 05 10:26 AM