Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking Hot Water Cylinder

My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak
around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for a
pictu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=2zq776r

I presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that
can be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Allen wrote:
My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak
around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for a
pictu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=2zq776r

I presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that
can be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.

You simply need to remake that joint. You don't even need to fully drain
down, just the coil. You should be able to shut off its feed from the
header tank, and if you're lucky there will be a drain cock somewhere.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
Jeff Allen wrote:

My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak
around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for
a pictu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=2zq776r

I presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that
can be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.

You simply need to remake that joint. You don't even need to fully drain
down, just the coil. You should be able to shut off its feed from the
header tank, and if you're lucky there will be a drain cock somewhere.

Thanks for the advice but it's actually leaking around the coupling
that's integral to the cylinder, i.e. the bit that comes pre-fitted to
cylinder rather rather than compression joint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-18 20:13:49 +0000, Jeff Allen said:

Grunff wrote:
Jeff Allen wrote:

My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak
around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for
a pictu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=2zq776r

I presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that
can be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.

You simply need to remake that joint. You don't even need to fully
drain down, just the coil. You should be able to shut off its feed from
the header tank, and if you're lucky there will be a drain cock
somewhere.

Thanks for the advice but it's actually leaking around the coupling
that's integral to the cylinder, i.e. the bit that comes pre-fitted to
cylinder rather rather than compression joint.

Normally if the cylinder is on the way out - copper has corroded
through around the fitting, you would expect the leak to be at that
location. Somebody else had that problem this past week and needed
a quick and temporary fix until the cylinder was going to be replaced
anyway.

The photo isn't completely clear, but in the position that you have the
arrow, it looks as though it is a place where the male threaded end of
the compression fitting.

Really there are two choices.

- Take the connections apart as Grunff has suggested. If the leak is
around the threads of the fitting, it should be possible to reseal it
with PTFE tape or hemp and Boss Green.

- Replace the cylinder. Perhaps the best approach would be to
identify a source of a replacement cylinder, attempt the repair and
then if that proves not to be possible, replace the cylinder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Allen wrote:

Thanks for the advice but it's actually leaking around the coupling
that's integral to the cylinder, i.e. the bit that comes pre-fitted to
cylinder rather rather than compression joint.

Yes, I can see that. I didn't mean remake the compression joint (which
you'll have to do anyway). I meant undo the flange fitting, clean up,
apply sealant, redo.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:28:36 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Jeff Allen wrote:

Thanks for the advice but it's actually leaking around the coupling
that's integral to the cylinder, i.e. the bit that comes pre-fitted to
cylinder rather rather than compression joint.

Yes, I can see that. I didn't mean remake the compression joint (which
you'll have to do anyway). I meant undo the flange fitting, clean up,
apply sealant, redo.

I had a similar problem where on mine the flow and return pipes in to the
cylinder were leaking .I had to undo the connection and got rid of the crud with
a wire brush then do it up again using tape and also some heat resistant
silicone I got from Screwfix .Hasn't failed yet and that was about 2 years ago .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Allen" wrote in message
My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak
around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for a
pictu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=2zq776r

I presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that can
be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.

New cylinder is the best bet here. Best re-assess your hot water system
while at it. Look at a Rinnai high flow multi-point water heater - it will
give two high pressure showers, get rid of the cylinder and tanks too. The
business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:57:25 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Jeff Allen" wrote in message
My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak
around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for a
pictu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=2zq776r

I presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that can
be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.

New cylinder is the best bet here. Best re-assess your hot water system
while at it. Look at a Rinnai high flow multi-point water heater - it will
give two high pressure showers, get rid of the cylinder and tanks too. The
business.

A 30 minute plumbing job to fit a new tank or endless expense to get a
shanty town water heater and a shower that rips the skin off and
flushes it down the drain.

The Japs fitted Rinnai's years ago. Now they are buying storage
systems with copper cylinders and header tanks like there was no
tomorrow.

Multipoints and combi are dead. Storage is the future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jeff Allen" wrote in message
My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak
around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for a
pictu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=2zq776r

I presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that
can
be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.

New cylinder is the best bet here.
Best re-assess your hot water system
while at it. Look at a Rinnai high flow
multi-point water heater - it will
give two high pressure showers, get
rid of the cylinder and tanks too. The
business.

A 30 minute plumbing job to fit a new
tank

Lord Hall, he has to assess his requirement and what he would gain. Lots of
space, supberb performance etc.

snip tripe

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 26th 05 12:34 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
URGENT Leaking hot water cylinder (pressurised) HELP RJ UK diy 10 January 12th 04 12:58 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM