Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No hot water from Vaillant Turbomax 828E Boiler

I am having problems drawing hot water from my Vaillant Turbomax
boiler. Sometimes it will be fine but most of the time it takes an age,
if at all, to get any hot water through.

The diverter valve was replaced at the beginning of the year so I do
not think it is this. The central heating is fine.

The green demand light flashes but the boiler does not fire up. It
makes no difference if the heating is on or off, it is alwyas the same!

Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gravesy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having problems drawing hot water from my Vaillant Turbomax
boiler. Sometimes it will be fine but most of the time it takes an age,
if at all, to get any hot water through.

The diverter valve was replaced at the beginning of the year so I do
not think it is this. The central heating is fine.

The green demand light flashes but the boiler does not fire up. It
makes no difference if the heating is on or off, it is alwyas the same!

Any ideas?

Have you interrogated it for the fault codes? Look in your manual.
I take it it has an LCD display.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you interrogated it for the fault codes? Look in your manual.
I take it it has an LCD display.

I have just had a look at the fault codes and there there is no record
of any faults in the memory.

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gravesy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having problems drawing hot water from my Vaillant Turbomax
boiler. Sometimes it will be fine but most of the time it takes an age,
if at all, to get any hot water through.

The diverter valve was replaced at the beginning of the year so I do
not think it is this. The central heating is fine.

The green demand light flashes but the boiler does not fire up. It
makes no difference if the heating is on or off, it is alwyas the same!

Any ideas?

You need to do some fault-finding. I would do some basic experiments first
of all to elicit what the boiler is actually doing.

First thing I would do is check if the boiler actually lights when you turn
a hot water tap on. Although you cannot see the flame with the front panel
on its easy enough to hear it 'whoomph' and you can see hot exhaust issuing
from the flue.

If it lights and stays on, but you get no DHW it would blow up, because the
heat couldn't escape from the primary heating loop UNLESS it was actually
going to your CH. I see you've had a diverter valve changed but you must
eliminate it from your investigation. Also, does the diverter make the usual
changing-over noise when you have the CH running and then turn the DHW on at
a tap? I can hear it do that from my bedroom if its quiet and someone turns
a tap on as the sound transmits via the pipes. If the boiler lights but you
get no hot water, try this experiment when the CH is off and see if hot
water is still in fact getting to the CH pipes and radiators when it
shouldn't be.

If the gas lights momentarily when you open a hot tap up, but then goes off,
or it doesn't light at all, that could indicate all sorts of things. I did
hear that some of the Turbomax units suffered from air pump faults ( I
presume this is the centrifugal pump that sucks air in for combustion, or
maybe they meant the sensor which detects the pump is running via the change
in combustion chamber pressure - there are various interlocks which will not
allow the unit to fire up if the sequence of events doesn't happen right ).

I should try the things I suggest unless someone else magics up an answer,
then get back to the group and say what happened, diagnosis needs lots of
evidence,

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy,

Thanks for your response.

I have looked at the pointers you made and have established the
following:

The boiler fails to light immediately when I attempt to draw hot water.
Sometimes it can take minutes to light other times it just doesnt and
rather than waste water we give up.

The diverter valve works fine and there is no hot water escaping into
the CH system when hot water is drawn.

The green light flashes indicating there is a demand for hot water but
the boiler does not light up. The fan runs as if it is about to fire
up.

I noticed this morning that the water temperature, when I eventually
got some hot water through, fluctuated from hot to cold.

Many thanks,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 00:11:51 +0000, Andy wrote:

"Gravesy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having problems drawing hot water from my Vaillant Turbomax
boiler. Sometimes it will be fine but most of the time it takes an age,
if at all, to get any hot water through.

The diverter valve was replaced at the beginning of the year so I do
not think it is this. The central heating is fine.

The green demand light flashes but the boiler does not fire up. It
makes no difference if the heating is on or off, it is alwyas the same!

Any ideas?

You need to do some fault-finding. I would do some basic experiments first
of all to elicit what the boiler is actually doing.

First thing I would do is check if the boiler actually lights when you turn
a hot water tap on. Although you cannot see the flame with the front panel
on its easy enough to hear it 'whoomph' and you can see hot exhaust issuing
from the flue.

And the yellow LED should light up

[...]

True the stock fault was on the APS switches. But then the OP wouldn't get
any heating.

).

I should try the things I suggest unless someone else magics up an
answer, then get back to the group and say what happened, diagnosis
needs lots of evidence,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:06:01 -0800, Gravesy wrote:

Andy,

Thanks for your response.

I have looked at the pointers you made and have established the
following:

The boiler fails to light immediately when I attempt to draw hot water.
Sometimes it can take minutes to light other times it just doesnt and
rather than waste water we give up.

The diverter valve works fine and there is no hot water escaping into
the CH system when hot water is drawn.

The green light flashes indicating there is a demand for hot water but
the boiler does not light up. The fan runs as if it is about to fire
up.

I noticed this morning that the water temperature, when I eventually
got some hot water through, fluctuated from hot to cold.

I would say its odds-on this is the APS (about £40).

As a final check I would consult section 10.6 of the manual and look at
the value of parameter d.24 which is the return from the APS you will
probably see this moving form 0 to 1 and back even though the fan is
running all the while.

DO NOT take the APS out to check it will go down hard as you touch it, buy
the replacement FIRST.

The repair requires no tools. Simply turn off, remove the old unit
(accessible from above), swap the leads and tubes, and clip it in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed,

Finally I have been able to check diagnotsic mode 24 and it does flick
between 0 and 1 when hot water is being drawn.

Should I therefore assume that it is the APS that requires replacing?
Would this switch also be the cause of not being able to draw any hot
water for ages as well as it fluctuating in temperature?

Also, why does this not affect the central heating system which seems
to operate perfectly?

Thank you very much for your help. Like many others have found, you are
a life saver!

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a Vaillant fitted in my previous house about 6 years ago and had
the Diverter valve replaced about 10 times....I did find that recycling
the whole boiler worked for a while (i.e turn the green nob off, wait a
bit, turn on again...then the hot water would work). Note, this only
worked for a few weeks before the diverter valve packed in
completly...apparently some manufacturing fault with the diverter
valves back then...

Ant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:40:07 -0800, Gravesy wrote:

Ed,

Finally I have been able to check diagnotsic mode 24 and it does flick
between 0 and 1 when hot water is being drawn.

Should I therefore assume that it is the APS that requires replacing?
Would this switch also be the cause of not being able to draw any hot
water for ages as well as it fluctuating in temperature?

Also, why does this not affect the central heating system which seems
to operate perfectly?

Thank you very much for your help. Like many others have found, you are
a life saver!

The problem is that the APS is _literally_ flapping in the breeze. For HW
this cause fluctuations and delays. With the CH provided the flame on time
is a sufficient proportion of the time you will have the a proportion of
the 28k available. Which is likely a factor of several of what's needed to
run the CH in Autumn.

When the diverter valve goes down you some times don't get any heating.