Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Price of pointing brickwork

I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick

It's a con, I don't know anyone who charges more than £25 per m2, your
exterior brickwork can't possibly be 85m2, most mid terraced houses are 45m2
in total, meaning about 23m2 per elevation, you can subtract a few metres
off for the extension so the total should be about 20m2, which should come
to about £500, even if he has to hire zip up scaffold (cue the 'not allowed
to' brigade) then it can only be another hundred....don't pay more than £700

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick

Why not do it yourself? It's not difficult, the materials are cheap and you
don't need special tools except, perhaps, scaffolding.

It does take time of course ... what's your time worth?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick - get those glasses on

.... uk.DIY !

get your trowel out

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick - get those glasses on

... uk.DIY !

get your trowel out

I had a go a while ago.
I am really **** at pointing.

Maybe it is in the mix, I may have another do next year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick - get those glasses on

... uk.DIY !

get your trowel out

I had a go a while ago.
I am really **** at pointing.

Oh come one! Spouse and I once pointed a large house in Bournemouth aided by
a 12 yo and a 14 yo son.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:49:06 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

R D S wrote:
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick

It's a con, I don't know anyone who charges more than £25 per m2, your
exterior brickwork can't possibly be 85m2, most mid terraced houses are 45m2
in total, meaning about 23m2 per elevation, you can subtract a few metres
off for the extension so the total should be about 20m2, which should come
to about £500, even if he has to hire zip up scaffold (cue the 'not allowed
to' brigade) then it can only be another hundred....don't pay more than £700

At 25 quid a meter it's an absolute bargain! It's the most mind
bending **** job you can tackle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

R D S wrote:
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite
narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick

It's a con, I don't know anyone who charges more than £25 per m2,
your exterior brickwork can't possibly be 85m2, most mid terraced
houses are 45m2 in total, meaning about 23m2 per elevation, you can
subtract a few metres off for the extension so the total should be
about 20m2, which should come to about £500, even if he has to hire
zip up scaffold (cue the 'not allowed to' brigade) then it can only
be another hundred....don't pay more than £700

At 25 quid a meter it's an absolute bargain! It's the most mind
bending **** job you can tackle.

A few years ago I was doing it for a tenner a metre...it's not bad providing
you have a radio and a flask of tea, I can point about 15m2 in a day and I'm
not very fast, I know blokes who can do 20m2+, not bad money at all @ £25
per m2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Maybe R D S has other talents - looking up things in Google for example :-)

Would you like your milk in a saucer?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
I had a go a while ago.
I am really **** at pointing.

Oh come one! Spouse and I once pointed a large house in Bournemouth aided
by a 12 yo and a 14 yo son.

That's like assuming that just because a six-year-old Italian child can
eat spaghetti neatly, or a 12-year-old ned pick locks, I should be able to
too.

I don't know any of those :-) But pointing really isn't a high level skill!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

R D S wrote:
I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace.
The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.

£1700, seems like a lot to me.

Rick

It's a con, I don't know anyone who charges more than £25 per m2, your
exterior brickwork can't possibly be 85m2, most mid terraced houses are
45m2
in total, meaning about 23m2 per elevation, you can subtract a few metres
off for the extension so the total should be about 20m2, which should come
to about £500, even if he has to hire zip up scaffold (cue the 'not
allowed
to' brigade) then it can only be another hundred....don't pay more than
£700

At 25 quid a meter it's an absolute bargain! It's the most mind
bending **** job you can tackle.

That's what I thought when I started for first time I did it then I realised
that it gave time to think, ponder, even dream. There aren't many tasks
which don't demand concentration but allow the mind to wander.

I'd do it for £25 a square metre.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
I had a go a while ago.
I am really **** at pointing.

Oh come one! Spouse and I once pointed a large house in Bournemouth aided
by a 12 yo and a 14 yo son.

That's like assuming that just because a six-year-old Italian child can
eat spaghetti neatly, or a 12-year-old ned pick locks, I should be able to
too.

Maybe R D S has other talents - looking up things in Google for example
:-)

Owain

If Google is your thing then go for it.

I would prefer to ask in a newsgroup and get a current answer, in real time
from real people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

If Google is your thing then go for it.

I would prefer to ask in a newsgroup and get a current answer, in real
time from real people.

No, you're not allowed to do that.

Well, unless you're a man that is :-)

Mary

Guardian: Customers warned of water price hike Ophelia UK diy 13 February 25th 06 07:08 PM
Guardian: Customers warned of water price hike Ophelia UK diy 2 January 25th 06 10:01 AM
Brickwork vintage guide bricklaying 1945 FA Sarah M. UK diy 26 December 6th 04 02:53 AM
Price for pointing Greg UK diy 6 February 25th 04 10:46 PM
water stains on kitchen ceiling along side chminey brickwork Chris Home Repair 0 February 24th 04 09:16 AM