Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing composite coving

I'm considering placing an order for composite coving from Decorating
Direct.

I have some questions -

a. has anyone here dealt with them? Are they a reputable firm?

b. they claim delivery time of 3 to 5 business days - is this likely to
be accurate?

c. as this stuff is so lightweight, would decorators' caulk be suitable
as an adhesive for it? If not, can anyone suggest something which
_would_ be suitable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
I'm considering placing an order for composite coving from Decorating
Direct.

I have some questions -

a. has anyone here dealt with them? Are they a reputable firm?

b. they claim delivery time of 3 to 5 business days - is this likely
to be accurate?

c. as this stuff is so lightweight, would decorators' caulk be
suitable as an adhesive for it? If not, can anyone suggest something
which _would_ be suitable?

They are a reputable company and do deliver on time.

I've had two tubs of plaster coving paint remover offa them.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

c. as this stuff is so lightweight, would decorators' caulk be suitable
as an adhesive for it? If not, can anyone suggest something which
_would_ be suitable?

This stuff works very well and is easy to use:

http://www.toolstation.com/messages....9015&mainWin=1

(I have only used on the normal paper covered plaster coving)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

They are a reputable company and do deliver on time.

Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
I'm considering placing an order for composite coving from Decorating
Direct.

I have some questions -

a. has anyone here dealt with them? Are they a reputable firm?

b. they claim delivery time of 3 to 5 business days - is this likely to be
accurate?

c. as this stuff is so lightweight, would decorators' caulk be suitable as
an adhesive for it? If not, can anyone suggest something which _would_ be
suitable?

We bought coving and adhesive from them and they were fine.

However, the adhesive, over the next 2-3 years, has cracked off the coving
so it will need a lot of remedial work to fix. This has never happened to me
with other types of coving. You may be wise to glue.screw too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hzatph wrote:

We bought coving and adhesive from them and they were fine.

However, the adhesive, over the next 2-3 years, has cracked off the coving
so it will need a lot of remedial work to fix. This has never happened to me
with other types of coving. You may be wise to glue.screw too.

Hmmm.
Which coving and adhesive did you use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

c. as this stuff is so lightweight, would decorators' caulk be
suitable as an adhesive for it? If not, can anyone suggest something
which _would_ be suitable?

This stuff works very well and is easy to use:

http://www.toolstation.com/messages....9015&mainWin=1

(I have only used on the normal paper covered plaster coving)

Thanks - I'll have a look at that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hzatph wrote:

We bought coving and adhesive from them and they were fine.

However, the adhesive, over the next 2-3 years, has cracked off the
coving so it will need a lot of remedial work to fix. This has never
happened to me with other types of coving. You may be wise to glue.screw
too.

Hmmm.
Which coving and adhesive did you use?

I am afraid I don't recall. It was the one they sell directly. The only
other thig I would add it to allow 50% more adhesive than they suggest is
necessary. If you can avoid any distortion when putting it up then that may
help - it depends on what your walls/ceiling are like and whther they are
straight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hzatph wrote:

help - it depends on what your walls/ceiling are like and whther they are
straight.

Even if they are not striaght it often looks better to put the cove up
straight and then fill above / behind as required, rather than have it
follow a curve. The cove makes it very easy to "eye up" the lines, and
anything not straight will be far more noticeable that a bit of extra
filling on the margins I find.

--
Cheers,

John.

Underboard ceiling with coving... Egremont UK diy 2 May 29th 06 12:38 PM
Coving Tony UK diy 12 May 3rd 06 02:39 PM
Reproducing Coving Brett Jackson UK diy 8 July 12th 04 11:58 AM
Are all composite deck railings flimsy? Dave K. Home Repair 6 March 25th 04 06:05 PM
Slightly OT - installing composite deck railing PC Woodworking 0 July 11th 03 12:02 PM