Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a screw that has been butchered by the "professionals"

Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Thanks

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote in message
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

I thought screws without slots were called nails? )

Sorry,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:46:44 +0000, John Kelly wrote:

Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Thanks

You can buy screw extractors. You drill a small hole in the scree head
first, then replace your drill bit with the extractor bit, insert into
drilled hole and run your drill backwards as the bit has a left-hand
'thread'.
Quite cheap, but make sure you have a slightly larger drill bit while yer in
the shop.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Thanks

Centre punch the middle of the screw - this is important. Drill with a
small, say 3mm, twist drill to about 10mm depth - take great care that
the drill doesn't slip or break. If it breaks off in the screw you may
be royally screwed!!

Then use an 'easy-out' (http://tinyurl.com/ynxn6r) to remove the screw.
An 'easy-out' has a very coarse left-hand thread and is used with a
t-bar. Useful toolbox item anyway.

Alternatively, just drill out the offending screw completely, and then
plug the hole in the frame/door and fit a new screw.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

You could get rid of the head which would stop the rubbing (but might loosen
the frame I suppose).
Centre punch the head accurately and use a metal drill about 7mm dia to
drill through head and remove - unlikely that the screw shank would be
bigger than this.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Thanks

Best tool I've found for these is a left handed drill bit. It rotates
the other way to the usual, and it either bites and unscrews it, or if
it fails to bit it just drills it out. Much better than those tapered
things imho.

Tracey tools sell them - or if youre careful and determined you can
even make one from a standard drill bit.

If you dont want to bother getting a tool, often you can just use a
hacksaw to cut a slot and unscrew, or dig under the head slightly and
apply a monkey wrench to unscrew.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote in message
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

1 Drill off head of offending screw.
2 Remove other screws with screwdriver and move hinge aside.
3 Using mole grips on head of drilled screw remains unscrew.
4 Screw a new screw into the hole adding a little wood glue to the
existing hole before
5 Refit other screws
6 Pour a pint of Old Peculiar, drink and relax while stating to wife how
easy it all was, ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Just knock it back in with a screwdriver and hammer if you don't have a
nail punch.

If the frame feels loose, refix it with the methods suggested by any of
the others here.

Oh wait, they haven't.

OK; come back when the posts reach the thirties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try hitting the screw in (unlikely that it will go though). If that
fails, dont worry about a removal tool for the sake of 1 screw. Just
get an 8mm drill and drill the centre of the head until it comes off
(you may want to occassionally put some cutting compound, or oil if you
havent any of that, onto the job so as to ease the process of drilling
and allow the drill to stay sharp at least till the end of that job).
The remainder of the screw will still be in, but you can fill the hole
with filler. Then redrill another hole and put a fresh screw in just
above/below the old one.
Even with a removing tool its likely that the screw will break and be
left in situe anyway, as damaged heads normally occur when lasy joiners
dont drill pilot holes, causing the wood to either split or else swell
back round the screw making it near impossible to remove without it
just shearing on its thread.
Calum Sabey
(Newark Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote in message
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Why do you think professionals butchered it?

And why would removing it be different if it had been?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Why do you think professionals butchered it?

And why would removing it be different if it had been?

Mary

AHA!
I see the flaws now......

Builder......Not carpenter.
Professionals.....Hmmmmmm..........Where?
Removing it.....If it had been an amateur then the screw head would have had
" I was butchered by an amateur" engraved on it

;-^

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robbo" wrote in message
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Why do you think professionals butchered it?

And why would removing it be different if it had been?

Mary

AHA!
I see the flaws now......

Builder......Not carpenter.
Professionals.....Hmmmmmm..........Where?
Removing it.....If it had been an amateur then the screw head would have
had " I was butchered by an amateur" engraved on it

Ah! Sorted, thank you :-)

;-^

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robbo wrote:
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Why do you think professionals butchered it?

And why would removing it be different if it had been?

AHA!
I see the flaws now......

Builder......Not carpenter.
Professionals.....Hmmmmmm..........Where?
Removing it.....If it had been an amateur then the screw head would have had
" I was butchered by an amateur" engraved on it

Couldn't have put it better myself :-)

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try drilling it out and then
putting another screw in just above/below it and then I'll take your
advice with regards to the Old Peculiar

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote in message
news

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try drilling it out and then putting
another screw in just above/below it and then I'll take your advice with
regards to the Old Peculiar

If you mean the beer, it's Old Peculier. That I DO know, it being a
Yorkshire brewery :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Kelly" wrote in message
news
Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try drilling it out and then putting
another screw in just above/below it and then I'll take your advice with
regards to the Old Peculiar

If you mean the beer, it's Old Peculier. That I DO know, it being a
Yorkshire brewery :-)

whoops - sorry. I've got two bottles in the fridge and still can't spell
it properly...

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Kelly" wrote in message
news
Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try drilling it out and then
putting another screw in just above/below it and then I'll take your
advice with regards to the Old Peculiar

If you mean the beer, it's Old Peculier. That I DO know, it being a
Yorkshire brewery :-)

whoops - sorry. I've got two bottles in the fridge and still can't spell
it properly...

You haven't drunk enough!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Kelly" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Kelly" wrote in message
news Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try drilling it out and then
putting another screw in just above/below it and then I'll take your
advice with regards to the Old Peculiar
If you mean the beer, it's Old Peculier. That I DO know, it being a
Yorkshire brewery :-)

whoops - sorry. I've got two bottles in the fridge and still can't spell
it properly...

You haven't drunk enough!

Good point - I'll rememdy that one in a couple of hours :-)

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Kelly" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Kelly" wrote in message
news Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try drilling it out and then
putting another screw in just above/below it and then I'll take your
advice with regards to the Old Peculiar
If you mean the beer, it's Old Peculier. That I DO know, it being a
Yorkshire brewery :-)
whoops - sorry. I've got two bottles in the fridge and still can't spell
it properly...

You haven't drunk enough!

Good point - I'll rememdy that one in a couple of hours :-)

I'm helping you rememby it... but with an Australian Chardonnay ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Kelly" wrote in message
news
Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll try drilling it out and then
putting another screw in just above/below it and then I'll take your
advice with regards to the Old Peculiar

If you mean the beer, it's Old Peculier. That I DO know, it being a
Yorkshire brewery :-)

whoops - sorry. I've got two bottles in the fridge and still can't spell
it properly...

In the fridge! Shame on you )

Alan

--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
None of us have anything better to do, otherwise we'd be doing it....

Is screw too soft ? pogo Metalworking 13 March 6th 06 07:42 PM
New Clifton Chip Breaker - Old Stanley Screw Won't Fit Ted Franklin Woodworking 4 February 20th 06 02:34 AM
screw load / mounting plasma to wall Home Repair 14 February 5th 06 06:33 PM
Screwing a screw into a fixing/plug (wrong size?) James Hanley UK diy 19 October 29th 04 03:17 AM
imperial grub screw BAH UK diy 1 August 27th 03 11:45 PM