Removing pencil marks from wood

Old November 10th 06, 07:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon

Default Removing pencil marks from wood

I've done some cladding work in the house and I now want to varnish the
bits I wasn't able to do before it went up.

There are some pencil lines where I've drawn lines to cut to. How can I
remove them prior to varnishing? I tried a pencil eraser but it's not
effective. I could sand it off I suppose but if there's a less
aggressive solution...

--
Regards
Jon
Old November 10th 06, 08:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:32:31 -0000, Jon
wrote:

I've done some cladding work in the house and I now want to varnish the
bits I wasn't able to do before it went up.

There are some pencil lines where I've drawn lines to cut to. How can I
remove them prior to varnishing? I tried a pencil eraser but it's not
effective. I could sand it off I suppose but if there's a less
aggressive solution...

If you've cut to the line it shouldn't be visible...

--
Frank Erskine
Old November 10th 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've done some cladding work in the house and I now want to varnish the
bits I wasn't able to do before it went up.

There are some pencil lines where I've drawn lines to cut to. How can I
remove them prior to varnishing? I tried a pencil eraser but it's not
effective. I could sand it off I suppose but if there's a less
aggressive solution...

Try rubbing it with a spot of lighter fluid. Use a clean rag, or
you'll deposit whatever's on the rag onto the wood.
Test a small area first, see how you get on.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old November 10th 06, 06:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo

wrote:

I've done some cladding work in the house and I now want to varnish the
bits I wasn't able to do before it went up.

There are some pencil lines where I've drawn lines to cut to. How can I
remove them prior to varnishing? I tried a pencil eraser but it's not
effective. I could sand it off I suppose but if there's a less
aggressive solution...

If you've cut to the line it shouldn't be visible...

Well - half of it might be.
We were taught (at school) never to use a pencil but a marking knife...

Geo
Old November 10th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've done some cladding work in the house and I now want to varnish
the bits I wasn't able to do before it went up.

There are some pencil lines where I've drawn lines to cut to. How
can I remove them prior to varnishing? I tried a pencil eraser but
it's not effective. I could sand it off I suppose but if there's a
less aggressive solution...

Try rubbing it with a spot of lighter fluid. Use a clean rag, or
you'll deposit whatever's on the rag onto the wood.
Test a small area first, see how you get on.

White spirit apparently works as well - never tried it myself. I usually
sand them off.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Old November 11th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've done some cladding work in the house and I now want to varnish
the bits I wasn't able to do before it went up.

There are some pencil lines where I've drawn lines to cut to. How
can I remove them prior to varnishing? I tried a pencil eraser but
it's not effective. I could sand it off I suppose but if there's a
less aggressive solution...

Try rubbing it with a spot of lighter fluid. Use a clean rag, or
you'll deposit whatever's on the rag onto the wood.
Test a small area first, see how you get on.

White spirit apparently works as well - never tried it myself. I usually
sand them off.

A little OT, an uncle of mine told the story when he was a builders
chippy on Friday afternoon the would make light pencil marks on skirting
boards or picture rails recently installed. The Gaffer would come round
early in the afternoon, make an inspection and tell them to redo the
woodwork as joints were showing. They would then remove the pencil
marks and spend the rest of the afternoon playing cards. It was only
much later that he realised the Gaffer must have played the same tricks
as a young worker, but turned a blind eye.