Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Trust the professionals

This is a snippet from a post of mine from last Tuesday:

Secondly she is having a new cooker and hob, changing from gas to electric,
consequently I will need to cap the old gas feed as it's in the way.

I am a competent wet plumber but was wondering if there was any advice for a
job like this (i.e. don't do it). It seems straight forward, Turn off gas at
meter, cut pipe, make end good, then solder on new end cap, turn gas back
on, and check for leaks with gas aerosol stuff. ( what about any gas left in
the pipe when I'm soldering, will air have got into the system during the
process, etc)

The general consensus was to get a Corgi registered person to do the job.
Reluctantly I did this.

Now this work was taking place behind a washing machine, so access was sort
of available. Anyway I always thought it was best practice to use soldered
joint on gas, but it was acceptable to use compressions where there was
access to the fitting. But if compression was used the yellow tape should be
used. The Corgi plumber has used a compression with no tape, is this
acceptable? Should I redo the job myself using a soldered joint, or should I
just loosen the compression and wrap some yellow tape, or has he done an
acceptable job?

TIA

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , jon
writes

The Corgi plumber has used a compression with no tape, is this
acceptable? Should I redo the job myself using a soldered joint, or should I
just loosen the compression and wrap some yellow tape, or has he done an
acceptable job?

Compression joints do not require tape or any other sealant to make a
good joint, this is true for both water and gas.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Compression joints do not require tape or any other sealant to make a
good joint, this is true for both water and gas.

Agreed - but what I'm wondering is this - when you create a dead-end in
a gas pipe system like this, is there any requirement to purge it (to
get rid of the trapped air) or do you just allow time and the natural
diffusion of gases to do the job.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
fred wrote:

Compression joints do not require tape or any other sealant to make a
good joint, this is true for both water and gas.

Agreed - but what I'm wondering is this - when you create a dead-end
in a gas pipe system like this, is there any requirement to purge it
(to get rid of the trapped air) or do you just allow time and the
natural diffusion of gases to do the job.

There is no requirement to purge it and it would be pointless anyway as it's
still connected to the main supply.
There is a requirement to isolate a dead leg with water pipes because the
water inside could stagnate and then find it's way back into the main.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:
[...]

You should have just done it yourself, and no, there is no need for tape,
gas isn't under much pressure anyway - you can stop it with one finger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:

The general consensus was to get a Corgi registered person to do the job.
Reluctantly I did this.

IIRC there were two parts to the question, the first was with regard to
a cast iron gas pipe that sounded like a disused feed? If so then
dealing with *that* pipe would be better left to the gas suppliers.

Dealing with blanking a copper connection however is much simpler.

Now this work was taking place behind a washing machine, so access was sort
of available. Anyway I always thought it was best practice to use soldered
joint on gas, but it was acceptable to use compressions where there was
access to the fitting. But if compression was used the yellow tape should be
used. The Corgi plumber has used a compression with no tape, is this
acceptable? Should I redo the job myself using a soldered joint, or should I
just loosen the compression and wrap some yellow tape, or has he done an
acceptable job?

The gas (yellow) PTFE tape is for use on threaded connections that seal
on the threads. A compression connection does not seal like this, and
hence does not require tape.

(sometimes tape is used on the thread of a compression fitting as an aid
to lubrication - it makes doing them up slightly easier but does not
change their ability to seal.

--
Cheers,

John.

How have the mighty fallen? OT. Weatherlawyer UK diy 529 September 2nd 06 09:23 PM
ANNOUNCE: Looking for CONSTRUCTION and CONTRACTOR PROFESSIONALS who use a Windows Mobile, Palm or RIM Blackberry device CTD Home Repair 1 June 20th 06 06:36 PM
Bigot Accusation Cliff Metalworking 108 March 26th 06 10:15 PM
Windsor Plywood Scam - Saskatoon James \(Garry\) Hunter Woodworking 19 January 4th 05 05:12 PM
Real Estate Professionals & others...NOW provide your OWN financing!!! Quint Home Ownership 0 September 1st 03 05:51 PM