Tubular Heater for Airing Cupboard

Old November 9th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tubular Heater for Airing Cupboard

Hi,

I need a tubular heater for a new airing cupboard. The cupboard is
approx 100cm (w) x 100cm (d) x 250cm (h). I see that standard tubular
heaters come in 60w, 120w, 180w etc. What will I need to keep the
airing cupboard nice and warm? Will 60w be enough?

Does anyone know where I can find a tubular heater with built-in
thermostat? If I cant find one with built-in then I will get a plug-in
type of thremostat to go with it.

Many thanks
Marc.c

Old November 9th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Cokey wrote:

I need a tubular heater for a new airing cupboard. The cupboard is
approx 100cm (w) x 100cm (d) x 250cm (h). I see that standard tubular
heaters come in 60w, 120w, 180w etc. What will I need to keep the
airing cupboard nice and warm? Will 60w be enough?

Does anyone know where I can find a tubular heater with built-in
thermostat? If I cant find one with built-in then I will get a plug-in
type of thremostat to go with it.

Hi Marc,

You could try this type of thing:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...m_1/index.html

It's impossible to say how powerful a heater you need, it depends on
how well insulated the cupboard is (and how hot you want it). I'd go
for a more powerful one and let the thermostat look after the
temperature control.

Martin

Old November 10th 06, 02:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Cokey wrote:

I need a tubular heater for a new airing cupboard. The cupboard is
approx 100cm (w) x 100cm (d) x 250cm (h). I see that standard tubular
heaters come in 60w, 120w, 180w etc. What will I need to keep the
airing cupboard nice and warm? Will 60w be enough?

I would probably go for the 120W

Does anyone know where I can find a tubular heater with built-in
thermostat? If I cant find one with built-in then I will get a plug-in
type of thremostat to go with it.

You can use an ordinary room stat. Most will switch small loads like
that without any difficulty.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old November 10th 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Cokey wrote:

I need a tubular heater for a new airing cupboard. The cupboard is
approx 100cm (w) x 100cm (d) x 250cm (h). I see that standard tubular
heaters come in 60w, 120w, 180w etc. What will I need to keep the
airing cupboard nice and warm? Will 60w be enough?

Have you looked at a small dehumidifier (like the 70 on in Sainsburys)?

You get heat out of them (175W input) and they dry the air.

The fan circulates the air too so they work much better than a tubular
heater.

Old November 10th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Nov 2006 09:53:30 -0800 someone who may be "Cokey"
wrote this:-

Does anyone know where I can find a tubular heater with built-in
thermostat?

It would be better to fit a separate one, remote from the heater.

If you have a wet central heating system then a pipe coil may be a
more economical way of heating the cupboard.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old November 10th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Cokey wrote:

I need a tubular heater for a new airing cupboard. The cupboard is
approx 100cm (w) x 100cm (d) x 250cm (h). I see that standard tubular
heaters come in 60w, 120w, 180w etc. What will I need to keep the
airing cupboard nice and warm? Will 60w be enough?

Have you looked at a small dehumidifier (like the 」70 on in Sainsburys)?

You get heat out of them (175W input) and they dry the air.

The fan circulates the air too so they work much better than a tubular
heater.

Nice idea... what do they do with the water collected?

--
Cheers,

John.

Old November 10th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im ordering a 120w tubular heater
and plug-in thermostat.

The idea about a pipe coil to heat the cupboard is great but
unfortunately I don't think it would be adequate enough to keep the
cupboard constantly warm (in my house at least), due to the central
heating not actually being on enough, especially during the warmer
times of year.

Marc.c

Old November 10th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "dennis@home" contains these words:

Have you looked at a small dehumidifier (like the 70 on in Sainsburys)?

Aldi have some - can't remember how much but it about half that.

--
Skipweasel
Old November 10th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

Cokey wrote:

I need a tubular heater for a new airing cupboard. The cupboard is
approx 100cm (w) x 100cm (d) x 250cm (h). I see that standard tubular
heaters come in 60w, 120w, 180w etc. What will I need to keep the
airing cupboard nice and warm? Will 60w be enough?

Have you looked at a small dehumidifier (like the ?70 on in Sainsburys)?

You get heat out of them (175W input) and they dry the air.

The fan circulates the air too so they work much better than a tubular
heater.

Nice idea... what do they do with the water collected?

--

The one we have has a container that fills with an optional facility to
drain via pipework if a suitable drain is nearby. The container on ours is

Old November 10th 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cokey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for all the responses guys. Im ordering a 120w tubular heater
and plug-in thermostat.

The idea about a pipe coil to heat the cupboard is great but
unfortunately I don't think it would be adequate enough to keep the
cupboard constantly warm (in my house at least), due to the central
heating not actually being on enough, especially during the warmer
times of year.

Could you fit a radiator with an electric element? You can then use the
electric when the heating is off but still heat the cupboard without
electricity when the heating is on.

Adam