Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring a kitchen light

bought a kitchen spotlight last nite an today started to wire it up,
only to find i had 4-5 red wires--3 black wires an 3 yellow/green
wires, the yellow/green wires were looped round eachother, an the
others ( black an red) went into seperate screw holes under the cap, im
in the uk so i think most kitchen lights r the same, i have tried to
place 1 red an 1 black into the spotlight but nothing works round the
house, all lights r out an cant get them right.

help

Gaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

Did you make a note of how the wires were wired up before? the reason
you have so many wires is that it is part of the lighting circuit, so
that is why when you havent wired them up right, other lights in your
house dont work.

The circuit needs to be kept continuous so you need to wire your new
light up teh same way that the old light was wired up.

I cant really explainit anymore technically than that, and I probably
sound completely useless, but I have done many of my own lights at home
and never had a problem, just stuck to the wiring that was already
there

Tom
shaz4gaz wrote:
bought a kitchen spotlight last nite an today started to wire it up,
only to find i had 4-5 red wires--3 black wires an 3 yellow/green
wires, the yellow/green wires were looped round eachother, an the
others ( black an red) went into seperate screw holes under the cap, im
in the uk so i think most kitchen lights r the same, i have tried to
place 1 red an 1 black into the spotlight but nothing works round the
house, all lights r out an cant get them right.

help

Gaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i just unscrewed all the wires an took it from there, unless i wire the
old light back up to check that, then wen i get it rite an cud stick
those 2 wires out of the old an into the new,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think that might be your best bet, if you can re-wire the old light
as it was then try and copy this to the new light? Where the old light
was wired into the plastic blocks, this more than likely completed the
circuits for your lighting ring.

I wouldnt panic though, any good diy book or website should have a more
accurate answer than me, its a pretty straight forward thing once you
know what each wire is doing.
shaz4gaz wrote:
i just unscrewed all the wires an took it from there, unless i wire the
old light back up to check that, then wen i get it rite an cud stick
those 2 wires out of the old an into the new,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ok i'll get back to u in 5 mins wen i try to wire this up

watch this space

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tried to reqire an found 3 more wires were lying there, maybe if i
connected black with red with the spare wires or wat wud that do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

Its hard to say without seeing what you have there, each house is wired
slightly differently.. I definately WOULD NOT just wire thins up and
try it, it coudl be dangerous, blow a fuse or start a fire... have you
tried typing house lighting in on google, see if there are any
documents about it on there? You basically need to know which of your
red and blakc wire are the ones to go in yoru light and which ones need
to be looped to form the circuit

Sorry I dont know much more, I tend to make anote of teh wires when I
rewire a light as otherwise its easy to forget which one does what

Tom
shaz4gaz wrote:
tried to reqire an found 3 more wires were lying there, maybe if i
connected black with red with the spare wires or wat wud that do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wat do u mean looped? is that like red wires together an black
together? i tried again an got my light under the stairs going ok but
no more

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
shaz4gaz writes

wat do u mean looped? is that like red wires together an black
together? i tried again an got my light under the stairs going ok but
no more

You just have to be a troll, either that or dangerously incompetent. If
you're for real, call an electrician now before you kill yourself or
your family or burn your house down. Learn from the experience and make
notes next time.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does one cable have 2 red wires in it ? If so and only if so, connect three
red wires together in a block and tape them up.

Connect the blacks to the neutral of the light.

Connect the other red to the live of the light.

Connect the earths together to the earth connection on the light.

That' it !

"shaz4gaz" wrote in message
ups.com...
bought a kitchen spotlight last nite an today started to wire it up,
only to find i had 4-5 red wires--3 black wires an 3 yellow/green
wires, the yellow/green wires were looped round eachother, an the
others ( black an red) went into seperate screw holes under the cap, im
in the uk so i think most kitchen lights r the same, i have tried to
place 1 red an 1 black into the spotlight but nothing works round the
house, all lights r out an cant get them right.

help

Gaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ok i re-wried it up an got every light in the house going apart from
the 1 that i bought, an the one under the stairs, everything else is
dead on, i put the 4 red wires together, the 3 earths together an the 2
blacks together, there is only 1 black an 1 red in the spotlight, if i
untangle all the reds i get nothing, so i think i have done everything
right bar one thing, which i dont no, all lights work apart from 2,
kitchen one that i bought, the other kitchen one is ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

shaz4gaz wrote:

bought a kitchen spotlight last nite an today started to wire it up,
only to find i had 4-5 red wires--3 black wires an 3 yellow/green
wires, the yellow/green wires were looped round eachother, an the
others ( black an red) went into seperate screw holes under the cap, im
in the uk so i think most kitchen lights r the same, i have tried to
place 1 red an 1 black into the spotlight but nothing works round the
house, all lights r out an cant get them right.

help

Gaz

No doubt others will be along shortly to help but, after swithching off
thepower to the lighting circuit (check!)

Trace the individual cores back to the cables tthey come in. My guess
is that

a) two (or more) cables will have one red and one black core (+ earth)

b) one cable will have one red core and either another red core or a
black core with red sleeving on it (+ earth)

Connect all of the red cables (a) together (c)

Connect all of the black cables (a) together (d)

Connect one (b) cable to (c)

Connect your light to the other (b) cable and the (d) cables

Connect all of the earths together with the earth (if available) from
the light

If there is not a cable with two reds (or a red and sleeved red) switch
on the light switch and use a meter to find out which cable has a dead
short between red andblack. Treat this cable as the cable with two red
cores.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
shaz4gaz writes

If you are still alive and not a charred heap on the floor by now try
taking a look at the following and if you truly understand it then
continue wiring your new light.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:

You just have to be a troll, either that or dangerously incompetent.

I think they are both trolls, possibly one and the same. Nobody could be
that stupid and that illiterate at the same time.

If you're for real, call an electrician now before you kill yourself
or your family or burn your house down.

Wouldn't it be better to let him die before he reproduces? Darwin award
material?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

turns out im not dead, or thick or stupid cause i got it done, i
connected the earths all together, connected 2 reds an put the other 3
reds in the screw part for the new light, put the 3 blacks all together
an put them in the screw part for the new light an tured it on,
everything works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to let him die before he reproduces? Darwin award
material?

I nearly suggested that he should connect all the wires together in one
big terminal. This simplified approach to wiring wouldn't result in him
being any more in the dark than he already was. But I wouldn't be so
cruel...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
shaz4gaz writes
turns out im not dead, or thick or stupid cause i got it done, i
connected the earths all together, connected 2 reds an put the other 3
reds in the screw part for the new light, put the 3 blacks all together
an put them in the screw part for the new light an tured it on,
everything works

I'm glad it works, hopefully you've learned what you did wrong and next
time you'll make notes/take pictures before you rip stuff apart. I'd
lecture you about how electricity is dangerous etc. but it just doesn't
seem worth it.
--
Clint Sharp