Jeremy Taylor

Default Replacing leaking toilet

Hi all,

My toilet seems to have developed a leak at the point that it 'plugs'
into the waste pipe at the back. My first question therefore - is
there an easy way of re-sealing this joint?

This may be a good time to change the toilet completely. I replaced
the floor in the bathroom many years ago with thick terracotta tiles
but, being fairly new to the DIY game I didn't fancy taking the toilet
out to do it. So I botched it and the loo now sits in a 'recess' in
the new floor about an inch deep. Ok - nobody's perfect.

The problem with re-seating the toilet on top of the tiled surface
would be the waste pipe. How can I get the toilet to mate with the
pipe now that it's going to be and inch or so higher? Does this mean
moving the waste pipe? This would entail knocking a slightly different
hole in the outside wall and changing the connection to the down pipe
outside - a big job. Is there no easy way to re-jig this to get around
the height difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.....

Jeremy
David Kerr

"Jeremy Taylor" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Jeremy,

Partly depends on the length of run of the waste pipe from toilet bowl to
hole in wall.
There is a certain amount of 'free play' in the pipe-connector-toilet pan
assembly,
especially if you have (like I did) a 90 degree bend connector. Have a look
in your
local DIY shed - some connectors are available which are designed to be
flexible
in order to aid alignment. If you are fitting a new toilet pan, check the
waste outlet
height as in my experience, they differ quite a bit.

HTH,

David

StealthUK

Very easy. New toilets use adaptors to connect into the soil pipe
rather than fitting into them directly. There are various adaptors
available including one that shortens. lengthens and bends as needs
be.

It's when the toilet waste is going into the ground that causes
headaches when re-positioning, out the wall is no problems.
Alex

What you need is a offset multiwick connecter,easy to fit and your toilet
can be use at the new height.Go to a builders merchant or plumbase,or plumb
center.do not goto sheds as they will probably not have one.

Jeremy Taylor

"BillR" wrote in message ...

The sheds certainly do have the simple offset connector which is probably
all the OP will need.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've browsed B&Q's selection of adapters and they have quite a choice.
But I still think it's going to be tricky. The current waste outlet is
quite steeply inclined (probably about 20 degrees) and sticks out of
the wall about 20 cm. The centre of the end of this pipe is 14.5 cm
above the level of the floor. The new toilets in B&Q have their outlet
centre about 18.5 cm above the floor.

They do an offset connector which seems to buy me about 1-2 cm (not
enough) or there is a flexible connector. This seems to be a better
choice but is very long - compressing as hard as I could it seems its
min length is about 30cm. As the current toilet outlet is only about
25-30cm from the wall and there are 20cm of waste pipe sticking out
then that's going to be way too long. Obviously I can cut the waste
pipe back to the wall but it's still going to be tight.

I guess I need to visit the Plumb Centre at the weekend....

thanks again.

Jeremy

laminate in the bathroom - negotiating the toilet ! NC UK diy 3 August 30th 03 08:05 PM
replacing a banister? Harris UK diy 3 August 22nd 03 08:46 AM
Fitting toilet after tiling Roger Wareham UK diy 0 August 12th 03 01:44 PM
Bathroom Flooring (replacing floorboards) Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 1 August 12th 03 09:35 AM
Replacement Toilet BigWallop UK diy 3 July 16th 03 02:05 PM