Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I'm amazed!!! (bit OT)

To cut a long story short... I wrote an e-mail to Henkel (makes of Loctite
Superglues) and asked them if it was normal for a bottle of glue to leak
after it'd been sitting on the shelf for a few weeks. I can't remember the
exact text of what I wrote, but I'm sure it was polite, and I don't think it
was sarcastic!!

Anyway, on arriving home from work a while ago, I found a little jiffy bag
on the mat, with no less than 3 different types of superglue and a nice
letter apologising for all the trouble I've had with the leaking glue!! I'm
in shock!!

Jolly nice of them though
____________________________________
The Grim Reaper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Grim Reaper" wrote in message
To cut a long story short... I wrote an e-mail to Henkel (makes of Loctite
Superglues) and asked them if it was normal for a bottle of glue to leak
after it'd been sitting on the shelf for a few weeks. I can't remember
the exact text of what I wrote, but I'm sure it was polite, and I don't
think it was sarcastic!!

Anyway, on arriving home from work a while ago, I found a little jiffy bag
on the mat, with no less than 3 different types of superglue and a nice
letter apologising for all the trouble I've had with the leaking glue!!
I'm in shock!!

Jolly nice of them though
____________________________________
The Grim Reaper

I'm amazed too as once it comes in to contact with air it will seal up, so I
wonder how you got it to leak!
Good of the company, but once everyone starts doing it they might notice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underfloor heating

Please read carefully - important for understanding under floor
heating:

If 160 Watt/m² floor heating is fitted in a room with floor tiles, the
heating only consumes 160 Watt/m² during the warm-up period, e.g. from
18°C to the target floor temperature of 24°C.

At 160 Watt/m² rating this is of course correspondingly faster than
120 Watt/m² - and you save time in the warm-up phase.

Subsequently the floor heating, i.e. from the surface of the floor
tiles, only releases approx. 10 Watt/m² heating power into the room
for each degree Celsius warmer than the room itself.

Roughly half of the heat is released into the room in the form of
infrared heat, i.e. radiant heat.

If the temperature in the room is 22°C and the floor is 24°C, the
floor heating would then only release 20 Watt/m² into the room.

If the room is warmed e.g. by the sun to 24°C, the floor heating will
release no more heat at all into the room and therefore not consume any
more electricity. This is the self-regulation effect of floor heating."

The high percentage of radiant heat in underfloor heating means that
the room temperature can easily be turned down by several degrees to
e.g. 20°C, and it will still be perceived as pleasantly warm.

A floor temperature of 21°C is felt as warm (the emphasis here is on
the feeling of comfort created by under floor heating - the prime
source of heating is e.g. radiators).

In this case the floor heating would only release 10 Watt/m² into the
room.

With a heating area of e.g. 10 m² and a rating of 10 Watt/m² this
would result in electricity costs of 15 cents for 10 hours at a price
of 15 cents/kHz.
This assumes adequate thermal insulation beneath the floor base.

In an extreme case, a 160 Watt/m² floor heating system would heat a
room from 20°C to 36°C (i.e. one degree per 10 Watts) if it were not
limited by the thermostat to approx. 28-29°C.

If the floor plate is thick enough, e.g. 8cm (e.g. heating base from
Knauf) and if the customer has access to suitably low-cost storage
heating electricity, it is also possible to heat an entire apartment or
individual rooms with night storage underfloor heating. The investment
costs are relatively low. If the intention is to use the underfloor
system as the main source of heating, it is important to use low-cost
night storage current.

The consumption costs: i.e. one litre of heating oil provides 10kW/h of
chemical energy although only 80-90% is actually used as heat in the
flat (boiler, radiation and chimney losses). In the case of
electricity, however, 100% is given up to the floor surface. And there
are no costs for chimney sweeps, boiler maintenance or fume emission
measurement.
http://www.soldron.de/titeleng.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Grim Reaper" wrote in message
To cut a long story short... I wrote an e-mail to Henkel (makes of Loctite
Superglues) and asked them if it was normal for a bottle of glue to leak
after it'd been sitting on the shelf for a few weeks. I can't remember
the exact text of what I wrote, but I'm sure it was polite, and I don't
think it was sarcastic!!

Anyway, on arriving home from work a while ago, I found a little jiffy bag
on the mat, with no less than 3 different types of superglue and a nice
letter apologising for all the trouble I've had with the leaking glue!!
I'm in shock!!

Its a good job the replacement glue didn't leak and gum up the
Royal Mail's sorting machine.

I recently sent a mis-shapen chocolate back to Nestle and they
sent me a nice letter with a 3 pound cheque attached.

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thats three uk groups you have so rudly barged into this evening.
Go away and take your spam with you,
or at least learn some netiquette
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My girlfriend has just reminded me, that a few months ago she took some
flapjacks back to a local shop to complain that they were out of date when
she bought them. They cost 52p.
The shop sent us a £10 voucher the next week!!
Grim Graham