Black smoke and soot from Oil fired boiler flue

Old October 25th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black smoke and soot from Oil fired boiler flue

has been producing a lot of smoke and soot when it runs, now it has
started cutting out - no doubt the photocell is filthy. I was about to
get it serviced anyway but as it has been running fine for 11 years
with just a regular service I was wonder what would have caused it to
burn this way. Why is it producing such muck and what is likely to be
needed to fix it.

Thanks
Old October 25th 06, 12:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:21:13 +0100, Ernie Bilko
wrote:

has been producing a lot of smoke and soot when it runs, now it has
started cutting out - no doubt the photocell is filthy. I was about to
get it serviced anyway but as it has been running fine for 11 years
with just a regular service I was wonder what would have caused it to
burn this way. Why is it producing such muck and what is likely to be
needed to fix it.

Thanks

Sorry I cut the top off this. It's a Grant Euroflame.
Old October 25th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

has been producing a lot of smoke and soot when it runs, now it has
started cutting out - no doubt the photocell is filthy. I was about to
get it serviced anyway but as it has been running fine for 11 years
with just a regular service I was wonder what would have caused it to
burn this way. Why is it producing such muck and what is likely to be
needed to fix it.

Thanks

Sorry I cut the top off this. It's a Grant Euroflame.

Fuel filter needs replacing or you purchased oil from a supplier in
Surrey...........

PhilC

Old October 25th 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:52:43 +0100, "PhilC"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

has been producing a lot of smoke and soot when it runs, now it has
started cutting out - no doubt the photocell is filthy. I was about to
get it serviced anyway but as it has been running fine for 11 years
with just a regular service I was wonder what would have caused it to
burn this way. Why is it producing such muck and what is likely to be
needed to fix it.

Thanks

Sorry I cut the top off this. It's a Grant Euroflame.

Fuel filter needs replacing or you purchased oil from a supplier in
Surrey...........

PhilC

It's not the oil as it had been working fine for weeks after a fill...
plus I'm in Belfast :-)
Old October 25th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ernie Bilko" wrote in message
news
has been producing a lot of smoke and soot when it runs, now it has
started cutting out - no doubt the photocell is filthy. I was about to
get it serviced anyway but as it has been running fine for 11 years
with just a regular service I was wonder what would have caused it to
burn this way. Why is it producing such muck and what is likely to be
needed to fix it.

I change the jet in my boiler each year, as I found that if I did not do this I
ended up with soot on the photocell.

If that is not the answer, I would look for a blockage in the chimney and air in
take.

--

Michael Chare

Old October 27th 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Ernie Bilko
saying something like:

has been producing a lot of smoke and soot when it runs, now it has
started cutting out - no doubt the photocell is filthy. I was about to
get it serviced anyway but as it has been running fine for 11 years
with just a regular service I was wonder what would have caused it to
burn this way. Why is it producing such muck and what is likely to be
needed to fix it.

Worn jet, worn pump, crap on the fan blades, other air restriction, low
motor speed, flue restriction, take your pick.

Check the basics first - it might just be dirty blades.
--

Dave
Old October 27th 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Ernie Bilko
saying something like:

has been producing a lot of smoke and soot when it runs, now it has
started cutting out - no doubt the photocell is filthy. I was about to
get it serviced anyway but as it has been running fine for 11 years
with just a regular service I was wonder what would have caused it to
burn this way. Why is it producing such muck and what is likely to be
needed to fix it.

Worn jet, worn pump, crap on the fan blades, other air restriction, low
motor speed, flue restriction, take your pick.

Check the basics first - it might just be dirty blades.

Usually a blocked or partially blocked jet.

I had one like this. New jet every year, new photocell every other year
when wiping it failed to work.

Scrapped tehe whole house eventually and the boiler with it.
Old October 27th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Check the basics first - it might just be dirty blades.

Usually a blocked or partially blocked jet.

I had one like this. New jet every year, new photocell every other year
when wiping it failed to work.

It's the case that simple, basic checks and replacements can do wonders
- and it's surprising (or not) how many people never bother. I have all
the gear now but it's not necessary for keeping a burner running
reasonably clean. Otoh, it was surprising how much more efficiently a
burner could be made to run with the combustion analyser than just by
eye - a good 10% more.
--

Dave