Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drippy radiators

I re-sited a radiator which now drips. I put plenty of PTFE tape on,
made sure olives were ok and tightened as much as I dared - but still a
slight drip from each side around the valve. Now the weather has turned
colder and the heating comes on there is no drip. I guess that
expansion is the reason. Now the radiator is dry and warm would anybody
recommend putting some sealant around the joints?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete L" wrote:
I re-sited a radiator which now drips. I put plenty of PTFE tape on,
made sure olives were ok and tightened as much as I dared - but still a
slight drip from each side around the valve. Now the weather has turned
colder and the heating comes on there is no drip. I guess that
expansion is the reason. Now the radiator is dry and warm would anybody
recommend putting some sealant around the joints?

I would apply plumbers jointing paste (boss) to the threads:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/product.as.../3428!TB_MISBW
PTFE tape isn't much good in these circumstance, and applying sealant around
the joints externally is useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete L" wrote in message
ups.com...
I re-sited a radiator which now drips. I put plenty of PTFE tape on,
made sure olives were ok and tightened as much as I dared - but still a
slight drip from each side around the valve. Now the weather has turned
colder and the heating comes on there is no drip. I guess that
expansion is the reason. Now the radiator is dry and warm would anybody
recommend putting some sealant around the joints?

Fernox do a silicone sealant which stopped a minor leak from the lower seam
on a downstairs radiator for years - until it corroded through in other
places. (Standard two storey house - pumped, non pressurised system ) I
think it's still available.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
"Pete L" wrote in message
ups.com...
I re-sited a radiator which now drips. I put plenty of PTFE tape on,
made sure olives were ok and tightened as much as I dared - but
still a slight drip from each side around the valve. Now the weather
has turned colder and the heating comes on there is no drip. I guess
that expansion is the reason. Now the radiator is dry and warm would
anybody recommend putting some sealant around the joints?

Fernox do a silicone sealant which stopped a minor leak from the
lower seam on a downstairs radiator for years - until it corroded
through in other places. (Standard two storey house - pumped, non
pressurised system ) I think it's still available.

It certainly is http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/93-14509 I used some to stop a
leak on the pipework to a garden tap & it worked a treat.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"Codswallop" wrote in message
"Pete L" wrote:
I re-sited a radiator which now drips. I put plenty of PTFE tape on,
made sure olives were ok and tightened as much as I dared - but still a
slight drip from each side around the valve. Now the weather has turned
colder and the heating comes on there is no drip. I guess that
expansion is the reason. Now the radiator is dry and warm would anybody
recommend putting some sealant around the joints?

I would apply plumbers jointing paste (boss) to the threads:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/product.as.../3428!TB_MISBW
PTFE tape isn't much good in these circumstance, and applying sealant

around
the joints externally is useless.

I have used gas PTFE tape (much thicker) to stop leaks where the valve body
screws into the radiator and it seems to work a lot better than normal PTFE
tape.
I don't use anything on the other joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys! Have redone the rad this afternoon using PTFE and this
magic jointing compound as recommended. All seems leak free at the