White paint discolouration

Old September 9th 03, 12:16 AM
Lawrence Zarb

Default White paint discolouration

3 months ago I painted a south facing window-cill with Dulux Brilliant
white non-drip gloss. Now I notice that where there are items on the
window-cill the paint has discoloured underneath them...Has anyone got
any ideas as to why??

Old September 9th 03, 04:20 AM
BigWallop

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:79f0dbd51717eaf0b9e9202f98e08834.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
3 months ago I painted a south facing window-cill with Dulux Brilliant
white non-drip gloss. Now I notice that where there are items on the
window-cill the paint has discoloured underneath them...Has anyone got
any ideas as to why??

If it was plant pots on the window sill, then the acids and salts from the
soil will make loverly marks in the paint. If it was just ornaments and
things, then it more than likely been polish or cleaning fluids that have
stayed under them and not been wiped away. Or it could be that the
surrounding area is bleached by the sun more than the areas that were
covered by the items.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Old September 9th 03, 01:06 PM
Christian McArdle

3 months ago I painted a south facing window-cill with Dulux Brilliant
white non-drip gloss. Now I notice that where there are items on the
window-cill the paint has discoloured underneath them...Has anyone got
any ideas as to why??

Solvent paints often change shade over time, particularly in response to UV
radiation from the sun. Consider using water based paints which generally
seem to suffer less from this.

Christian.

Old September 9th 03, 11:40 PM
Parish

Stephen Hull wrote:

In message lgate.org
"Lawrence Zarb" wrote:

3 months ago I painted a south facing window-cill with Dulux Brilliant
white non-drip gloss. Now I notice that where there are items on the
window-cill the paint has discoloured underneath them...Has anyone got
any ideas as to why??

[snip]

Sounds daft and I can't explain why but areas kept in the dark appear
to turn yellow very quickly indeed.

Oil-based paints need UV to *not* yellow; sounds illogical (at least to
me) I know, but we have a bookcase in the corner of the room with some
books on top. Where the taller books covered the dado rail the paint
yellowed. Removed the books and it turned white again!

Read this reply by Max Bone (of Decorating Direct) in this very NG

http://tinyurl.com/ms4p

Paragraph beginning, "This is an alkyd formulation...."

I don't think Dulux is quite as good as it used to be, if it ever was
that is.

Steve.

Old September 10th 03, 02:50 AM
Parish

Stephen Hull wrote:

Excellent information there, You learn something everyday, It certainly
explained to me why paint goes yellow sitting in the dark.

So all that you, and/or the OP, need to do is to train SWMBO to
re-arrange the plant/ornament display on the window sill every time she
dusts :-)

/me dons flameproof suit

Old September 10th 03, 11:29 PM
Kriz265490

This is probably an old wive's tale, and I have certainly never tried it, but I
was told if you add a small amount of BLACK gloss paint (e.g half a teaspoon
full) to the white gloss and then mix it very well, it will never discolour.
Haven't got the heart to try it myself, but maybe someone here and confirm or
deny.

Old September 12th 03, 08:41 PM
Stephen Hull

In message
Parish wrote:

Excellent information there, You learn something everyday, It
certainly explained to me why paint goes yellow sitting in the
dark.

So all that you, and/or the OP, need to do is to train SWMBO to
re-arrange the plant/ornament display on the window sill every time
she dusts :-)

/me dons flameproof suit

Good point, I'll just blame the Wife for leaving plant pots on the
window sills.

Sounds daft and I can't explain why but areas kept in the dark appear
to turn yellow very quickly indeed.

It's not a bug, it's a feature, according to Max Bone
http://groups.google.com/groups?&sel...Bx%40maxmaxmax.

Obviously not one you would encounter in your main painting.

Absolutely and I've saved his post for future reference

This is probably an old wive's tale, and I have certainly never
tried it, but I was told if you add a small amount of BLACK gloss
paint (e.g half a teaspoon full) to the white gloss and then mix it
very well, it will never discolour. Haven't got the heart to try it
myself, but maybe someone here and confirm or deny.

Anyone tried this to confirm if it actually works?.

Steve.

--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes