A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Carpet fitting



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 23rd 06, 09:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Carpet fitting

How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want to
put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want to
paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off until
we have done all the painting but this means living without a carpet
for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.

Ads
  #2  
Old October 23rd 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,415
Default Carpet fitting

In article . com,
wrote:
How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want to
put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want to
paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off until
we have done all the painting but this means living without a carpet
for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.


Removing and relaying a carpet which has been properly fitted and down for
some time is pretty easy - much more so than starting from scratch.
However, stairs are probably the most difficult.

The important thing is how you store the carpet so it doesn't get
stretched - roll it up and tie or tape, then store somewhere where it
won't get stood on, etc.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #3  
Old October 23rd 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 120
Default Carpet fitting

wrote in message
ups.com...
How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want to
put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want to
paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off until
we have done all the painting but this means living without a carpet
for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.


My parents recently had their stair carpet replaced.
The original was all cut into sizes of 2 stair lengths and attached with
gripper rod.
It certainly looked like all the one carpet.
It would have made putting it back a doddle.

Steven.




  #4  
Old October 23rd 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,490
Default Carpet fitting

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
wrote:

How easy is it to take up and relay a stair & landing carpet? I want
to put down a carpet now and take it up in a year's time when I want
to paint my bannisters. Alternatively I could leave the carpets off
until we have done all the painting but this means living without a
carpet for quite a while until we get around to doing the painting.


As long as the landing carpet is held down by gripper rods, it's pretty easy
to pull it up (starting at a corner) and put it back. It will help if you
buy a knee kicker (I think Screwfix do one for about 30 quid now) which
makes it easy to stretch the carpet back onto the grippers.

The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other. It can be pulled out - a step at a time - with
a sharp tug. When you put it back, use a blunt bolster chisel to force it
back into the corners. [Don't use grippers made out of flimsy metal angle,
with the 'spikes' pressed out of it. At best, that's only good for one
application. Use proper wood and nails gripper rod - as used on the floors].

I've had my stair and landing carpets up several times over the years, and
they always go back ok by using these methods.
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


  #5  
Old October 23rd 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Carpet fitting


Roger Mills wrote:

The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other.


away from each other?

  #6  
Old October 23rd 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 120
Default Carpet fitting


wrote in message
oups.com...

Roger Mills wrote:

The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other.


away from each other?


No towards each other.
Each strip of gripper rod should be pointing towards the corner of each
stair i.e. towards each other.

If they pointed away from each other then the gripper rod would have no
effect at all.


  #8  
Old October 24th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 158
Default Carpet fitting

Steven Campbell wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Roger Mills wrote:
The stair carpet should be fitted with one gripper rod near the bottom of
each riser and another near the back of each tread - with the spikes
pointing towards each other.

away from each other?


No towards each other.
Each strip of gripper rod should be pointing towards the corner of each
stair i.e. towards each other.

If they pointed away from each other then the gripper rod would have no
effect at all.


The original description was not as clear as it could be. Having
described a single section of carpet "with one gripper rod near the
bottom of each riser and another near the back of each tread" the second
clause "with the spikes pointing towards each other" might be taken to
refer to the same pair of grippers. Not a 'pair' composed of adjacent
riser tread pairs


--
djc
  #9  
Old October 24th 06, 11:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,490
Default Carpet fitting

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
djc wrote:


The original description was not as clear as it could be. Having
described a single section of carpet "with one gripper rod near the
bottom of each riser and another near the back of each tread" the
second clause "with the spikes pointing towards each other" might be
taken to refer to the same pair of grippers. Not a 'pair' composed of
adjacent riser tread pairs


Anyone familiar with gripper rod would have to try very hard to
mis-understand my original description. A single gripper rod is just that -
not a pair - and it has spikes angled in only one direction. So having
spikes pointing towards each other necessarily involved *both* of the rods
to which I had referred.
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


  #10  
Old October 25th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Carpet fitting


djc wrote:
The original description was not as clear as it could be. Having
described a single section of carpet "with one gripper rod near the
bottom of each riser and another near the back of each tread" the second
clause "with the spikes pointing towards each other" might be taken to
refer to the same pair of grippers. Not a 'pair' composed of adjacent
riser tread pairs



Exactly. If you're talking about that single piece of carpet then the
pair of grippers that hold it in place point away from each other.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carpet question [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 28th 06 01:56 AM
Stair Carpet - Costs, Fitting, FAQ ? . UK diy 2 July 5th 06 06:21 PM
Carpet grippers and underlay fitting help JoeJoe UK diy 13 March 2nd 06 12:34 AM
1 more carpet fitting question... mo UK diy 21 November 20th 05 03:43 AM
Year Old Carpet Already Biting the Dust ! Magnusfarce Home Repair 6 January 20th 05 01:16 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.