2-gang 2-way switch

Old October 18th 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2-gang 2-way switch

Is there such a thing as a 2-gang 2-way switch that has a neon light
indicator for one of the switch rockers?

The light up in the loft currently gets its feed from the switched live of
the landing light so I have to have the landing light switched on to have
the loft light on. I want to be able to switch the loft light on and off
from the landing switch position but can forsee that someone may leave it on
or switch it accidentally, hence the reason for wanting a neon indicator.

John.

Old October 18th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:35:16 UTC, "John" wrote:

Is there such a thing as a 2-gang 2-way switch that has a neon light
indicator for one of the switch rockers?

The light up in the loft currently gets its feed from the switched live of
the landing light so I have to have the landing light switched on to have
the loft light on. I want to be able to switch the loft light on and off
from the landing switch position but can forsee that someone may leave it on
or switch it accidentally, hence the reason for wanting a neon indicator.

The MK Grid Plus range seem to have a 2 gang (single plate) module
plate. You can get switches for that which have neons, and switches that
don't have neons.

A larger solution would be a slightly-bigger-than-double surface box
that takes two single switches. I just fitted one today (MK again). One
switch in each, and just make one a neon.

Grid Plus is neater and probably cheaper.

Old October 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

--

Thanks Bob, I'll look into that.

John.

Old October 18th 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Eager" writes:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:35:16 UTC, "John" wrote:

Is there such a thing as a 2-gang 2-way switch that has a neon light
indicator for one of the switch rockers?

The light up in the loft currently gets its feed from the switched live of
the landing light so I have to have the landing light switched on to have
the loft light on. I want to be able to switch the loft light on and off
from the landing switch position but can forsee that someone may leave it on
or switch it accidentally, hence the reason for wanting a neon indicator.

The MK Grid Plus range seem to have a 2 gang (single plate) module
plate. You can get switches for that which have neons, and switches that
don't have neons.

I don't recall any switches with neons in the range,
but you can get a switch and separate neon module.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old October 18th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "John" contains these words:

The light up in the loft currently gets its feed from the switched live of
the landing light so I have to have the landing light switched on to have
the loft light on. I want to be able to switch the loft light on and off
from the landing switch position but can forsee that someone may leave
it on
or switch it accidentally, hence the reason for wanting a neon indicator.

Wouldn't it be easier just to mount the switch either by the hatch so
you can see it but not knock it, or inside the loft so you can't forget
it?

--
Skipweasel
Old October 18th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Is there such a thing as a 2-gang 2-way switch that has a neon light
indicator for one of the switch rockers?

The light up in the loft currently gets its feed from the switched live of
the landing light so I have to have the landing light switched on to have
the loft light on. I want to be able to switch the loft light on and off
from the landing switch position but can forsee that someone may leave it on
or switch it accidentally, hence the reason for wanting a neon indicator.

I think so...but you may need a single gang rather than trying for a
double..

John.

Old October 19th 06, 01:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
Is there such a thing as a 2-gang 2-way switch that has a neon light
indicator for one of the switch rockers?

No - but it would be easy to fit one. Maplin etc sell them. Round ones, so
only a simple hole needed. Or even a mains LED indicator for posh. You do,
however, need a neutral.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 19th 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Oct 2006 21:43:54 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager"
wrote this:-

The MK Grid Plus range seem to have a 2 gang (single plate) module
plate. You can get switches for that which have neons, and switches that
don't have neons.

Very useful they are too. I have a four way module in the kitchen.
One way has a two way switch, which switches the main outside light
(this also be switched from the shed), the next way has a neon light
module which indicates when the main light is on. The other two ways
have single way switches that operate other outside lights (which
can only ever be on if the main light is on). A great way to
assemble useful switching.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old October 19th 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

The MK Grid Plus range seem to have a 2 gang (single plate) module
plate. You can get switches for that which have neons, and switches that
don't have neons.

Very useful they are too. I have a four way module in the kitchen.
One way has a two way switch, which switches the main outside light
(this also be switched from the shed), the next way has a neon light
module which indicates when the main light is on. The other two ways
have single way switches that operate other outside lights (which
can only ever be on if the main light is on). A great way to
assemble useful switching.

I've just found a useful application for the 2 x single plate combined
back box. One has the DP switch to isolate the central heating, and the
other (with a blanking plate) contains the cross connections that were
nastily squashed into the single switch box previously (flexible to the
boiler jammed in alongside the other load connections).

Light switch problem John Home Repair 5 April 2nd 06 02:59 PM
Anyone, Advice please - another electrical light switch puzzle thingŠ wilma harrington Home Repair 11 February 19th 06 02:19 PM
Correcting a "misbehaving" 3-way switch [email protected] Home Ownership 5 May 20th 05 08:50 PM
Advice on wiring a 2 gang 1 way switch Rigga UK diy 2 July 16th 04 10:35 PM
help selecting a manual transfer switch wahzoo Home Repair 13 December 13th 03 01:50 AM