Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Wallpapering round an opening

We have a wide rectangular opening (wide doorway, but no door) between a
dining room and kitchen.

Both ceilings are to be emulsioned and the vertical faces on the kitchen
side of the wall are to be tiled and finished with a plastic edging strip.

The dining room wall to the left and right and above the opening is to
be wallpapered but I'm not sure how to treat the underside of the actual
opening. Is it emulsioned, in which case I will have raw wallpaper edges
along the vertical/underside transition, or is it papered? Or is there a
third way?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:38:42 +0100, F wrote:

We have a wide rectangular opening (wide doorway, but no door) between a
dining room and kitchen.

Both ceilings are to be emulsioned and the vertical faces on the kitchen
side of the wall are to be tiled and finished with a plastic edging strip.

The dining room wall to the left and right and above the opening is to
be wallpapered but I'm not sure how to treat the underside of the actual
opening. Is it emulsioned, in which case I will have raw wallpaper edges
along the vertical/underside transition, or is it papered? Or is there a
third way?

Assuming that you havent't yet done the tiling how about papering the dining
room left and right walls ,turning the edges over on to the opening wall by
about half an inch then papering the underside of the opening ,thereby covering
the turned over edge from the living room,then turning the next edge over on to
the kitchen wall then tiling that wall .
Alternatively don't turn over the second edge ..just trim it to the wall and
then do the tiling .
To turn the edges over you'll possibly need to make sharp cuts in to the turned
over part if it is an arched opening .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
We have a wide rectangular opening (wide doorway, but no door) between a
dining room and kitchen.

Both ceilings are to be emulsioned and the vertical faces on the kitchen
side of the wall are to be tiled and finished with a plastic edging strip.

The dining room wall to the left and right and above the opening is to
be wallpapered but I'm not sure how to treat the underside of the actual
opening. Is it emulsioned, in which case I will have raw wallpaper edges
along the vertical/underside transition, or is it papered? Or is there a
third way?

I guess the third way would be to have architrave on the dining room
side, and possibly a wood lining on the inside of the opening. You
really don't want unprotected edges round a doorway
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 18/10/2006 10:22 Stuart wrote:

then papering the underside of the opening

That's the bit I wanted! The underside of the opening is papered, not
painted.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:50:45 +0100, F wrote:

On 18/10/2006 10:22 Stuart wrote:

then papering the underside of the opening

That's the bit I wanted! The underside of the opening is papered, not
painted.

Eh.....................??????

Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
F wrote:
We have a wide rectangular opening (wide doorway, but no door) between a
dining room and kitchen.

Both ceilings are to be emulsioned and the vertical faces on the kitchen
side of the wall are to be tiled and finished with a plastic edging strip.

The dining room wall to the left and right and above the opening is to
be wallpapered but I'm not sure how to treat the underside of the actual
opening. Is it emulsioned, in which case I will have raw wallpaper edges
along the vertical/underside transition, or is it papered? Or is there a
third way?

I guess the third way would be to have architrave on the dining room
side, and possibly a wood lining on the inside of the opening. You
really don't want unprotected edges round a doorway

I have an identical situation in my house.
I was planning to line the inner surfaces of the opening with timbers.
But I'm unsure of what timber to use.
The kitchen side will be tiled and dining room side will be painted.
I want to have the skirtings on each side to butt against the lining
timbers but
the timbers would need to be about 11" wide do this. I
I was looking at a nice hardwood to do this but at 11" wide would be
quite expensive.
could use thick plywood with something to finish the edge.

But I'd be interested to hear other ideas.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
F wrote:
[...]

You wouldn't need an edge as this would be covered by the architrave,
and the skirting would meet that. If the inner surfaces are to be
painted, just use mdf. Otherwise, something more decorative, like birch
faced ply. 11" is too wide for wood, especially as it only needs to be
half an inch thick
Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
51 wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
F wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Stuart.
I've had a search for suppliers of birch faced ply and also oak
veneered ply for another project.
I found a 'Peter Benson Plywood' but they aonly sell to trade or
private if they coma and collect.

Do you know any national retailers?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
51 wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
F wrote:
[...]

Pretty much any timber merchant should stock birch ply or a pale
coloured equivalent. Have them cut it to size for you as a) it is prone
to splintering and b) you need spot on accuracy