DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   WetNfiX (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/179416-wetnfix.html)

Mr Harry October 16th 06 03:25 PM

WetNfiX

i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

harry (mr)

[email protected] October 16th 06 03:41 PM

WetNfiX

Mr Harry wrote:

i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

harry (mr)

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are
1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal
2. use resin fixing

NT

Steve Firth October 16th 06 03:49 PM

WetNfiX

On 16 Oct 2006 07:25:07 -0700, Mr Harry wrote:

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?

Tja! Es lauft ganz gut.

Lobster October 16th 06 05:37 PM

WetNfiX

Mr Harry wrote:
i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

They're not bad - I've used them once or twice. I keep then in my
rawlplug box for use in situations where I reckoned a rawlplug would
work OK, but then find it hasn't! Does depend on how crappy your walls
are though - if they're really bad, these things won't work miracles,
and you'd be better off with a more rigourous method like a resin-based
system.

But anbyway, they only cost a quid or so from B&Q or Wickes: hardly
going to break the bank if they don't grip well enough!!

David

Mr Harry October 16th 06 08:18 PM

WetNfiX

Lobster wrote:

But anbyway, they only cost a quid or so from B&Q or Wickes: hardly
going to break the bank if they don't grip well enough!!

£3.50 for 10

Mr Harry October 16th 06 08:19 PM

WetNfiX

wrote:

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are
1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal

Fill with polyfilla or cement?

Mr Harry October 16th 06 08:21 PM

WetNfiX

Lobster wrote:

They're not bad - I've used them once or twice. I keep then in my
rawlplug box for use in situations where I reckoned a rawlplug would
work OK, but then find it hasn't! Does depend on how crappy your walls
are though - if they're really bad, these things won't work miracles,
and you'd be better off with a more rigourous method like a resin-based
system.

Walls are such that maybe one out of four rawl plugs hits a soft spot.

harry

The Medway Handyman October 16th 06 09:02 PM

WetNfiX

Lobster wrote:
They're not bad - I've used them once or twice. I keep then in my
rawlplug box for use in situations where I reckoned a rawlplug would
work OK, but then find it hasn't! Does depend on how crappy your
walls are though - if they're really bad, these things won't work
miracles, and you'd be better off with a more rigourous method like a
resin-based system.

Reminds me of the stuff Rawlplug used to sell years ago. Was it asbestos
fibre based? You spat on it & bunged it in the hole.

Most Fischer stuff does what it says on the tin.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

DJC October 16th 06 10:37 PM

WetNfiX

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reminds me of the stuff Rawlplug used to sell years ago. Was it asbestos
fibre based? You spat on it & bunged it in the hole.

Yes, asbestos. Very good stuff too. Been holding up my bookshelves for
the past 21 years.

Weatherlawyer October 17th 06 04:39 AM

WetNfiX

Mr Harry wrote:
wrote:

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are
1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal

Fill with polyfilla or cement?

Get some foam glue and just bang a few nails in to keep the batton in
place. Mark the wall level or plumb, run the glue along the line, put
the baton in place and nail it home. The nails should stop the glue
from pushing it off.

When the foam has set, cut the excess off with a sharp blade. If you
are bothered about markng the wood use some tape to protect it and go
sparingly with the glue. You really don't need much.

Try some in an out of the way place first.

Stuart Noble October 17th 06 02:13 PM

WetNfiX

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Mr Harry wrote:
wrote:

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are
1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal

Fill with polyfilla or cement?

Fill with car body filler and drill a new hole 5 minutes later

Chris Styles October 17th 06 04:30 PM

WetNfiX

Most Fischer stuff does what it says on the tin.

Interestingly Wet'n'Fix didnt start life as a Fischer Product... it was the
creation of "Monarch International" an odd collection of an IT Consultant,
a Prosthetics expert and a Wine purchaser for a large chain. Nice guys
though.

Like most one-product startups they struggled to get traction until Fischer
negotiated to rebrand the product. Once Fischer did have the rights they
didnt do much with it for a ling time. It looked like they were burying the
product until Monarch went bust or decided not to play anymore.

I've not spoken to them in a a couple of years, but it does seem like things
are picking up for them, but then they have been plugging away for 7~8
years.

For the record, they do work very well - which is probably why the guys have
stayed the course - when you have a product that works well that you can
believe in, it does keep you focussed...

Andy Wade October 18th 06 10:55 AM

WetNfiX

djc wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reminds me of the stuff Rawlplug used to sell years ago. Was it
asbestos fibre based? You spat on it & bunged it in the hole.

Yes, asbestos. Very good stuff too. Been holding up my bookshelves for
the past 21 years.

There's an asbestos-free version now called 'plug and repair' -
http://www.diytools.co.uk/product.as...62!TB_RAW13002

--
Andy

Mr Harry October 23rd 06 11:19 AM

WetNfiX

Update:

Bought some from Wickes (£2.99 for 20 iirc) and initial results seem
promising. They seem to do exactly what it says on the packet. Time
will tell how they perform over time.

harry

Paul F October 26th 06 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
Mr Harry wrote:

i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly
cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?
(www.wetnfix.co.uk)

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed
to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

harry (mr)

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are
1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal
2. use resin fixing

NT

Yup have used them - alot! I have an old Victorian house and is the bane of my life!!