Restoring parquet flooring

Old October 15th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Restoring parquet flooring

We discovered on moving in to our house a month or so ago, that under a
vile red carpet in the living room was some beautiful parquet flooring,
presumably dating from when the house was built in 1956. We've now
finished painting the ceiling and walls and have lifted the carpet to
look at the parquetry more closely.

Clearly, previous owners have shown little regard for it as it has
numerous areas of misted paint spattering and others with larger smears
and stains of paint. In a few other places, the bitumen layer that the
floor stands on has seemed through the gaps in the wood blocks. I have
put some photos of this on my website he

http://www.marlow.org.uk/parquet/

Unaffected areas look fine - a little dull through having been under
underlay for at least 20 years, but nothing that a good clean won't
sort out. But we're wondering what the best way of restoring the
paint-spattered areas will be - scraping? sanding? something chemical?
Any advice gratefully received.

Gareth

Old October 15th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-15 12:33:42 +0100, said:

[...]

What a shame to cover floors like these with carpet. I expect that
they had carpet in the bathroom as well.

You may well need to sand it to address some of the dings and scratches
ultimately (or treat them as patina), but that needs to be carefully
considered because the wood can often be quite thin. A typical
problem on floors like these was the impact of stiletto heels and
little indendations.

I would address the bitumen issue first with scraping and perhaps a
suitable solvent to avoid it being spread around the surface during
subsequent operations.

Following that, a chemical paint stripper to remove old paint, varnish
and so forth.

Finally a light sanding.

If you want to address scratches and dings in the surface at this stage
you can try an iron and a wet cloth. This causes the wood fibres to
swell and may take most or all of a dent out. It usually won't do
anything about missing chunks of wood.

For a finish, I quite like oil and wax mixture for a wooden floor
because I don't like glossy varnishes. It does mean having some kind
of floor polisher ideally though.

I think it would be well worth the effort.

Old October 15th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-15 12:33:42 +0100, said:

What a shame to cover floors like these with carpet. I expect that
they had carpet in the bathroom as well.

That's uncanny. Are you stalking me?

I would address the bitumen issue first with scraping and perhaps a
suitable solvent to avoid it being spread around the surface during
subsequent operations.

Ok. That makes sense.

Following that, a chemical paint stripper to remove old paint, varnish
and so forth.

Nitro-mors, or something less aggressive? I've had a suggestion of
meths for the emulsion and turps/white spirit for the gloss.

If you want to address scratches and dings in the surface at this stage
you can try an iron and a wet cloth. This causes the wood fibres to
swell and may take most or all of a dent out. It usually won't do
anything about missing chunks of wood.

This is the ironic thing: it's been protected by carpet for at least 20
years so it's just the paint. The rest is in great nick.

For a finish, I quite like oil and wax mixture for a wooden floor
because I don't like glossy varnishes. It does mean having some kind
of floor polisher ideally though.

Ok, thanks for that. I prefer a more matt finish too.

I think it would be well worth the effort.

We'd talked about laying some kind of stripwood flooring on the ground
floor when our offer on the house was accepted - you can't imagine how
pleased we were when the previous owner mentioned "that there might be
parquet under the carpet". I've made a little start already and it's
looking *so* good.

Thanks again,
Gareth

Old October 15th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 15, 3:17 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
To remove the paint, bitumen and any old wax
polish use wire wool and white spirit with plenty of elbow grease!

I gave it a go with white spirit and a large plastic abrasive pad (like
a large pan scourer) and it's coming up a treat. You're not wrong about
the elbow grease, though

A light sanding will then even out the colour, but remember parquet can be
quite thin. I'd use a random orbit sander rather than a belt sander.

OK.

Check outhttp://www.rustins.co.uk/product.htm?chggroup=4for floor
finishes.

Great - thanks.

Gareth

Old October 15th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 15, 4:27 pm, Roger wrote:
ISTR that the miniature parquet is rather thin so sanding is probably
best avoided if at all possible.

Loose pieces appear to be about 8mm thick. I'm more worried about
loosening too much of it if I'm aggressive with the sanding - hence
doing it by hand.

It was said at the time that there was such a severe shortage of good
timber that new houses couldn't have suspended wood floors on the ground
floor so if you wanted a wood floor you had to make do with parquet over
solid concrete.

You learn something every day!

Thanks,
Gareth

Old October 15th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-15 12:33:42 +0100, said:

What a shame to cover floors like these with carpet. I expect that
they had carpet in the bathroom as well.

That's uncanny. Are you stalking me?

Well it was either going to be that or laminate flooring.

I would address the bitumen issue first with scraping and perhaps a
suitable solvent to avoid it being spread around the surface during
subsequent operations.

Ok. That makes sense.

Following that, a chemical paint stripper to remove old paint, varnish
and so forth.

Nitro-mors, or something less aggressive? I've had a suggestion of
meths for the emulsion and turps/white spirit for the gloss.

I would start with the less agressive first, but realistically it will
probably end up being Nitromors.

Fine sanding might be another way. You could try that because in most
of the photos the paint doesn't look too bad.

Old October 16th 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 15, 4:27 pm, Roger wrote:
ISTR that the miniature parquet is rather thin so sanding is probably
best avoided if at all possible.

Loose pieces appear to be about 8mm thick. I'm more worried about
loosening too much of it if I'm aggressive with the sanding - hence
doing it by hand.

It was said at the time that there was such a severe shortage of good
timber that new houses couldn't have suspended wood floors on the ground
floor so if you wanted a wood floor you had to make do with parquet over
solid concrete.

You learn something every day!

I would lightly sand it down to clean wood and then finish with traditional
Bourne Seal. Maintain with a water based acrylic polish. They (ICI or
whoever owned the brand) used to make a Bourne Seal branded one but there
seems no trace of it now. There must be an equivalent out there.