Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler spares - How much?

On 2006-10-19 22:09:58 +0100, Nick2 said:

My Halstead combi packed up recently - the diverter valve stopped working
so no HW (normally caused by a split diaphragm). There is a heating spares
shop down the road from me so I enquired about a repair kit, they quoted
28 ukp plus 6ukp carriage plus VAT with a 3-day lead time for the
diaphragm.

After a quick Google I found BES in Birmingham offering the diaphragm for
4.50ukp or the complete valve for 23.25ukp (plus 4.95 shipping plus VAT).
I ordered the complete valve as the boiler is 13 yrs old and on its 2nd
diaphragm, the goods arrived next morning. Now fitted and all working

The most expensive I found was actually online - uk-plumbing.com at
64.40ukp + whatever delivery + VAT for the valve.

How on earth do these people maintain business?

Greater volume, smaller margin than the other guys.

Don't assume that on line places are automatically cheaper. That's a
phallacy. Other similar examples are the cartridges for shower
valves. There can be a 3dB difference in price easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-19 22:43:18 +0100, Nick2 said:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:14:11 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

How on earth do these people maintain business?

Greater volume, smaller margin than the other guys.

Don't assume that on line places are automatically cheaper. That's a
phallacy. Other similar examples are the cartridges for shower
valves. There can be a 3dB difference in price easily.

ITYM a fallacy (...Or there again, do you?)

Grins

What would you say?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 10:43 pm, Nick2 wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:14:11 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:
How on earth do these people maintain business?

Greater volume, smaller margin than the other guys.

Don't assume that on line places are automatically cheaper. That's a
phallacy. Other similar examples are the cartridges for shower
valves. There can be a 3dB difference in price easily.

ITYM a fallacy (...Or there again, do you?)

Depends what you do in the shower.

MBQ

Indirect Pandora Heatbank and Man Micromat/Boiler compatability [email protected] UK diy 40 May 24th 06 09:19 PM
Boiler spares? PigPOg UK diy 8 March 30th 06 08:30 AM
Non-modulating condensing boilers? Egremont UK diy 34 July 22nd 05 07:02 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM