Warren Owen

Default Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling

Hi,

Having recently bought and moved into a Victorian terrace I've
been feeling pretty pleased with myself for not having any DIY
disasters in the first few months.... but hey it couldn't last.

I was just doing a bit of painting. The living room ceiling,
which has bobbly artex type stuff was painted.. standard Dulux Vinyl
Matt Emulsion - White...no problems. I then proceeded to do the back
room, which has the same bobbly artex type stuff. The paint dried and
immediately started to crack badly and peel in areas where I may have
"overapplied" (in hindsight) paint. I brushed some of it down, and
took the following pictures (apologies for the low quality digicam).

http://www.altcountrytab.com/images/Set35_01.jpg
http://www.altcountrytab.com/images/Set35_02.jpg

There doesn't appear to be any damp... its dry as a bone. The
only thing I can think of is, and this is a shot in the dark, is that
the room has an open fire and I suspect the previous owner may have
"wood burned" on the fire, I wonder if that may have created a layer
of layer of filth in areas than should have been cleaned before I
tried to paint over.

I'd appreciate opinions on what has happened, and what I can
do to rectify the situation... I can't just paint over the top.

Oh and I don't particularly like the artex type stuff, but I'm
not sure if it will come off easily.

Thanks in advance...

Warren
Alan McGowan

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:24:39 +0100, Warren Owen
wrote:

[...]

Is the ceiling quite powdery under the peeling paint? I had a similar
problem and used a masonry sealer before repainting - worked a treat

Alan
Warren Owen

wrote:

[...]

Yes, brushing off the cracked paint did produce a lot of powder. Did
you apply the sealer on top of the existing good bits of the painted
surface or did you completely strip the ceiling. The thing is that it
is only affecting 20% of the ceiling and I don't want to strip the
whole thing if I can avoid it.... (OK, I know perhaps I should)

I'm thinking of stripping the affected areas, sanding a little to
ensure smoothish progression from stripped areas to OK areas, and then
reapplying paint by brush lightly.

Alternatively I was thining of stripping the Artex, but if it is up
there to smooth over a messy ceiling then I might regret it.

Masonry sealer sounds a bit dramatic (it isn't masonry after all), but
in the absence of other suggestions I may give it a go. Or would
plaster sealant be better... as in...
http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...9&CATID=183730

Thanks for the response, it gives me an option, and makes me feel
better in that something similar has happened to others.

harrogate

wrote:

[...]

If you are using a vinyl paint dilute it 10-20% with water and paint it on
freely - that will act as a sealer. Then when dry overpaint it with neat
fresh paint.

You did wash the ceiling first, didn't you? Paint doesn't like to stick to
grease, and ceilings can get VERY greasey.

--
Woody

Warren Owen

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:01:02 +0100, "harrogate"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I will try the dilute Vinyl Matt Emulsion first, seems like a
low risk option as an initial effort.

And no, I didn't wash the ceiling... hindsight is a wonderful thing.
But as the living room was fine I stupidly assumed the diing room
would be similar... I now realise that the presence of the open fire
probably should have come into my thinking - but hey I won't be so
stupid again.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Owen
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:01:02 +0100, "harrogate"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I had a very similar experience with a new house. I found that using a sealant on each and every ceiling in the house I never has the cracking and flaking. The sealant I used was Dulux and was quite expensive but did the trick. Having recently moved I am now back to square 1!!!!! I will definately try diluted emulsion as the sealant is horrible to use.

Steve Walker wrote:
muppet17 wrote:

I had a very similar experience with a new house. I found that
using a sealant on each and every ceiling in the house I never
has the cracking and flaking. The sealant I used was Dulux and
was quite expensive but did the trick. Having recently moved I am
now back to square 1!!!!! I will definately try diluted emulsion
as the sealant is horrible to use.

diluted pva

I'd use a diluted PVA as well but also sugar soap it first if there is
any grease.

Michael Mcneil

"daddyfreddy" wrote in message
oups.com

I'd use a diluted PVA as well but also sugar soap it first if there is
any grease.

Not as well. If the ceiling is greasy or the previous tennant used oil
paint on the ceiling, dilute emulsion is going to make things worse.

I'd consider removing the whole lot with a steamer and scraper. Dust
mask time though, so leave it for the cooler weather.

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"daddyfreddy" wrote in message
oups.com

I'd use a diluted PVA as well but also sugar soap it first if there is
any grease.

Not as well. If the ceiling is greasy or the previous tennant used oil
paint on the ceiling, dilute emulsion is going to make things worse.

I'd consider removing the whole lot with a steamer and scraper. Dust
mask time though, so leave it for the cooler weather.

I didn't mention diluted emulsion.