Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holding threaded rod in a vise

What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

If I use the bandsaw and the wood comes loose, the bandsaw blade might
jam and break, at some considerable cost and inconvenience and danger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

You just puts nuts on it, and clamp the nuts. You need enough clamping
force to slightly deform the nuts, so they grip the rod and stop it from
turning as you saw.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Perhaps, cut a pair of nuts for the thread so that they can be pinched
up in the machine vice. Thread them on, and clamp, then cut. This has
the advantage that the nuts act as thread cleaners to the cut ends.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod
in a vise so that the thread is not damaged? The rod needs to be
cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a metal bandsaw,
but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a vise.

Wind two nuts onto it. Use one nut as the guide
for the saw.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Downing wrote:
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Perhaps, cut a pair of nuts for the thread so that they can be pinched
up in the machine vice. Thread them on, and clamp, then cut. This has
the advantage that the nuts act as thread cleaners to the cut ends.

Very good. That is the method that I have used. Ideally, use square
nuts, but hexagonal nuts work fine. These were cut halfway along a
flat, so someone wanted to clamp them in the bandsaw vise with only the
points touching the vise. I refused to allow that as it was not secure
and risked breaking the bandsaw blade. Sometimes I don't understand the
way some "engineers" think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod
in a vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

If I use the bandsaw and the wood comes loose, the bandsaw blade might
jam and break, at some considerable cost and inconvenience and danger.

Then don't use the band saw,use a conventional hack saw.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Williams wrote:

Wind two nuts onto it. Use one nut as the guide
for the saw.

The rod usually revolves, but that is stopped OK by having a locknut as
well.
But cutting two nuts halfway through is the best solution I think.
(I have hundreds of rods to cut!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

If I use the bandsaw and the wood comes loose, the bandsaw blade might
jam and break, at some considerable cost and inconvenience and danger.

Then don't use the band saw,use a conventional hack saw.

What, I have an expensive metal bandsaw available and I don't use it?
How long will it take to make 400 cuts through 5/8" rod with a hacksaw?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in
a vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

You just puts nuts on it, and clamp the nuts. You need enough clamping
force to slightly deform the nuts, so they grip the rod and stop it
from turning as you saw.

My early days in the engineering shop was a block of 1" metal with two nuts
either side to lock it into position of the 1" block.
The problem with just the two nuts is the nuts dont always end up with
their flat edge faces.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

If I use the bandsaw and the wood comes loose, the bandsaw blade
might jam and break, at some considerable cost and inconvenience
and danger.

Then don't use the band saw,use a conventional hack saw.

What, I have an expensive metal bandsaw available and I don't use it?
How long will it take to make 400 cuts through 5/8" rod with a
hacksaw?

But you didn't stipulate 400 pieces. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:44:36 UTC, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

My early days in the engineering shop was a block of 1" metal with two nuts
either side to lock it into position of the 1" block.

Aha! Will remember that...

The problem with just the two nuts is the nuts dont always end up with
their flat edge faces.

That was my thought...was trying to visualise how it could be made to
work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

'Soft jaw' covers for the vice jaws made from aluminium sheet. Every
vice should have some. And it's about time they brought back metalwork
teaching at school. ;-)

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct 2006 01:55:22 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:

|What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
|vise so that the thread is not damaged?
|The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
|metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
|vise.
|
|I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
|was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

What I was taught in the Apprentice School, long long ago. Drill a hole a
piece of sheet which is several threads deep, tap with the appropriate
thread. Hacksaw through the tapped hole. Put your threaded rod through
the tapped hole, hold the sheet in the vice.

IIRC I still have the screw clamps I made there unfortunately, Whitworth or
BFS & BA. The ones they made us make had several tapped holes in a line,
sawn through and a large hole with 1/8 of metal round it to make the clamp
flexible enough to allow threaded rod to be inserted.

Hope that is understandable ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My early days in the engineering shop was a block of 1" metal with
two nuts either side to lock it into position of the 1" block.

Aha! Will remember that...

The problem with just the two nuts is the nuts dont always end up
with their flat edge faces.

That was my thought...was trying to visualise how it could be made to
work.

It's best to use *three* nuts. Lock 2 of them together and put the 3rd nut
further along the shaft. Clamp the middle and third nuts in the vice - with
the first nut just outside the jaws, so it doesn't matter if the flats don't
line up.

When cutting a threaded bar or bolt, you should always have a nut on it
anyway - so that subsequently removing the nut will clean up the threads
where the cutting process may have damaged them.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

several nuts locked together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

If I use the bandsaw and the wood comes loose, the bandsaw blade
might jam and break, at some considerable cost and inconvenience
and danger.

Then don't use the band saw,use a conventional hack saw.

What, I have an expensive metal bandsaw available and I don't use it?
How long will it take to make 400 cuts through 5/8" rod with a
hacksaw?

But you didn't stipulate 400 pieces. :-P

But I did say a "perfectionist engineer", who of course would use the
best method for even just one cut

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd recommend using a hand grinder with a metal disc. They're quite
cheap these days.

Just be sure to wear eye protection and remember that whatever you
grind will be hot afterwards.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

It's best to use *three* nuts. Lock 2 of them together and put the 3rd nut
further along the shaft. Clamp the middle and third nuts in the vice - with
the first nut just outside the jaws, so it doesn't matter if the flats don't
line up.

That works fairly well except that in the bandsaw there is only a tiny
gap between the vise and the blade. Enough for a quarter locknut
perhaps. I could put a locknut at the other end of the vise, but that
won't work when the rod gets short.

When cutting a threaded bar or bolt, you should always have a nut on it
anyway - so that subsequently removing the nut will clean up the threads
where the cutting process may have damaged them.

Agreed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

In view of the high volume, you need something faster than winding nuts on.

For a volume job like this I would use two nuts cut in half that are welded
to disposable vice jaws, that way you have a fast way to clamp without
damage to the threads, you would also be likely to incorporate a length stop
at the same time.

Mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 15 Oct 2006 01:55:22 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:

|What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
|vise so that the thread is not damaged?

What I was taught in the Apprentice School, long long ago. Drill a hole a
piece of sheet which is several threads deep, tap with the appropriate
thread. Hacksaw through the tapped hole. Put your threaded rod through
the tapped hole, hold the sheet in the vice.

IIRC I still have the screw clamps I made there unfortunately, Whitworth or
BFS & BA. The ones they made us make had several tapped holes in a line,
sawn through and a large hole with 1/8 of metal round it to make the clamp
flexible enough to allow threaded rod to be inserted.

Hope that is understandable ;-)

Actually it's not!
Why do you need to hacksaw through the tapped hole?
Does the sheet remain flat?
Do you put a nut on each side of the sheet, or what stops the rod
rotating?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Matty F wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Two pieces of wood to clamp it in the vice.

If I use the bandsaw and the wood comes loose, the bandsaw blade might
jam and break, at some considerable cost and inconvenience and danger.

Then don't use the band saw,use a conventional hack saw.

What, I have an expensive metal bandsaw available and I don't use it?
How long will it take to make 400 cuts through 5/8" rod with a hacksaw?

It's the same problem as shortening or drilling bolts or threaded bar in the
lathe and how to hold them in a 3 jaw chuck. For a bolt with a hex head you
use one loose nut of the same size as the head and grip both at the same
time. For threaded bar you lock two nuts together to act as the 'head' and a
third loose nut further down. You grip on the loose nut and the lower of the
two locked ones. Ideally you want the two locked nuts at the cutting tool
end of the bar because there will be a small amount of chatter between the
bar and the loose nut.

For 400 pieces that's a lot of screwing and unscrewing nuts though. It'll
take longer to put the nuts on than to cut the bar. To save time in the long
run I might be tempted to take two lengths of softwood, put a V groove along
both with a 90 degree chamfering tool, attach those to the vice and use them
as soft jaws to clamp the threaded rod between the V's. You could also put
semicircular grooves with a ball nosed milling cutter, each a couple of mm
less deep than the radius of the rod so the threads can dig in a bit. Once
you've done the first piece you'll have a nice thread indented into the wood
and you can align the other pieces into that. The rod ain't going to go
anywhere with several inches of its length indented hard into wood.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mrcheerful wrote:

In view of the high volume, you need something faster than winding nuts on.

For a volume job like this I would use two nuts cut in half that are welded
to disposable vice jaws, that way you have a fast way to clamp without
damage to the threads, you would also be likely to incorporate a length stop
at the same time.

Yes that sounds the best method yet. Except that we seldom have such a
large run, and making such a device for each size and type of rod that
we use, and finding them again a year later would be a problem. Whereas
I can easily cut another couple of nuts.
The rods need to be only 2 inches long, and it was quite quick to just
slacken the vise and screw the rod along a couple of inches. Having a
length stop risks jamming the bandsaw blade when the cut piece of rod
falls off. I'd need to have a length stop that swings out of the way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct 2006 03:29:37 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On 15 Oct 2006 01:55:22 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:
|
| |What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
| |vise so that the thread is not damaged?
|
| What I was taught in the Apprentice School, long long ago. Drill a hole a
| piece of sheet which is several threads deep, tap with the appropriate
| thread. Hacksaw through the tapped hole. Put your threaded rod through
| the tapped hole, hold the sheet in the vice.
|
| IIRC I still have the screw clamps I made there unfortunately, Whitworth or
| BFS & BA. The ones they made us make had several tapped holes in a line,
| sawn through and a large hole with 1/8 of metal round it to make the clamp
| flexible enough to allow threaded rod to be inserted.
|
| Hope that is understandable ;-)
|
|Actually it's not!
|Why do you need to hacksaw through the tapped hole?

So the rod/bolt is held rigidly when held in the vice.

|Does the sheet remain flat?

It has to be several threads deep the ones we made was 1/8 thick sheet

|Do you put a nut on each side of the sheet, or what stops the rod
|rotating?

The vice pressure stops the rod rotating,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
mrcheerful wrote:

In view of the high volume, you need something faster than winding nuts on.

For a volume job like this I would use two nuts cut in half that are welded
to disposable vice jaws, that way you have a fast way to clamp without
damage to the threads, you would also be likely to incorporate a length stop
at the same time.

Yes that sounds the best method yet. Except that we seldom have such a
large run, and making such a device for each size and type of rod that
we use, and finding them again a year later would be a problem. Whereas
I can easily cut another couple of nuts.
The rods need to be only 2 inches long, and it was quite quick to just
slacken the vise and screw the rod along a couple of inches. Having a
length stop risks jamming the bandsaw blade when the cut piece of rod
falls off. I'd need to have a length stop that swings out of the way.

========================
Are you sure you're not being too meticulous on this particular job? A 5/8"
galvanised thread isn't likely to be a very fine thread and if your bandsaw is
properly set up it will give good square cut ends on 2" lengths which won't
produce much 'chatter' when the rod is held very lightly in a 4" or 6" vice.

Try a few cuts with the rod held lightly in the vice whilst holding the
projecting rod (opposite end to the cut-off end) with your gloved hands. You
will probably have to put nuts on to raw ends in any case so you might as well
try the quick way which has worked for me whenever I've cut threaded rod on my
bandsaw.

Cic.

It has removed 1307 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
mrcheerful wrote:

[...]

making the jig for this would only take about half an hour, just chuck it
when finished with.

Mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

Are you sure you're not being too meticulous on this particular job? A 5/8"
galvanised thread isn't likely to be a very fine thread and if your bandsaw is
properly set up it will give good square cut ends on 2" lengths which won't
produce much 'chatter' when the rod is held very lightly in a 4" or 6" vice.

Try a few cuts with the rod held lightly in the vice whilst holding the
projecting rod (opposite end to the cut-off end) with your gloved hands. You
will probably have to put nuts on to raw ends in any case so you might as well
try the quick way which has worked for me whenever I've cut threaded rod on my
bandsaw.

Are you suggesting clamping the threaded rod in a steel vise without
protection?
When I cut using a hacksaw I use aluminium covers for the vice jaws.
I wanted to hold the rod even more securely in the bandsaw, because
it's not nice if it jams and breaks the blade. This is a horizontal
bandsaw with an automatic feed. I usually walk away and do something
else while it's cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
ups.com...
Cicero wrote:

[...]

=========================
This is very similar to mine although mine is an earlier version and about 20
years old: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060710025

I've never had any problems with mine but maybe it's slower than yours.

Cic.

It has removed 1307 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 15 Oct 2006 03:29:37 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On 15 Oct 2006 01:55:22 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:
|
| |What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
| |vise so that the thread is not damaged?
|
| What I was taught in the Apprentice School, long long ago. Drill a hole a
| piece of sheet which is several threads deep, tap with the appropriate
| thread. Hacksaw through the tapped hole. Put your threaded rod through
| the tapped hole, hold the sheet in the vice.
|
| IIRC I still have the screw clamps I made there unfortunately, Whitworth or
| BFS & BA. The ones they made us make had several tapped holes in a line,
| sawn through and a large hole with 1/8 of metal round it to make the clamp
| flexible enough to allow threaded rod to be inserted.
|
| Hope that is understandable ;-)
|
|Actually it's not!
|Why do you need to hacksaw through the tapped hole?

So the rod/bolt is held rigidly when held in the vice.

|Does the sheet remain flat?

It has to be several threads deep the ones we made was 1/8 thick sheet

|Do you put a nut on each side of the sheet, or what stops the rod
|rotating?

The vice pressure stops the rod rotating,

Is your piece of sheet very narrow, and looking rather like a nut with
a cut through one side?
In which case why not just use a nut?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

This is very similar to mine although mine is an earlier version and about 20
years old: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060710025

Ours is bigger and runs coolant on the blade and has a tray underneath
to cathc the coolant.
It doesn't appear to be able to tilt vertical like yours, which is a
great pity, because there are some diagonal cuts that can't be done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
Cicero wrote:

This is very similar to mine although mine is an earlier version and about

20
years old: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060710025

Ours is bigger and runs coolant on the blade and has a tray underneath
to cathc the coolant.
It doesn't appear to be able to tilt vertical like yours, which is a
great pity, because there are some diagonal cuts that can't be done.

========================
The vertical function isn't really much use because it has a very basic table
about 12" square. The flat bed vice jaws can swing through 45 degrees so it can
produce most diagonals. No coolant is necessary so quite slow and safe. When a
blade snaps it breaks quite safely both because of the low speed and surrounding
protection.

I can understand your reluctance to get close without good clamping but I think
it would be worth a try to clamp firmly without any other aids to see what
damage (if any) there is to the threads. You've got a good clamping area and
damage should be minimal. It really depends on what you're going to use the rods
/ studs for. Most of the suggested clamping methods are likely to be very
tedious and time-consuming however ingenious they are.

Cic.

It has removed 1307 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Matty F"
saying something like:

What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?

Wrap it in a rag.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct 2006 05:00:25 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On 15 Oct 2006 03:29:37 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:
|
| |Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | On 15 Oct 2006 01:55:22 -0700, "Matty F" wrote:
| |
| | |What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
| | |vise so that the thread is not damaged?
| |
| | What I was taught in the Apprentice School, long long ago. Drill a hole a
| | piece of sheet which is several threads deep, tap with the appropriate
| | thread. Hacksaw through the tapped hole. Put your threaded rod through
| | the tapped hole, hold the sheet in the vice.
| |
| | IIRC I still have the screw clamps I made there unfortunately, Whitworth or
| | BFS & BA. The ones they made us make had several tapped holes in a line,
| | sawn through and a large hole with 1/8 of metal round it to make the clamp
| | flexible enough to allow threaded rod to be inserted.
| |
| | Hope that is understandable ;-)
| |
| |Actually it's not!
| |Why do you need to hacksaw through the tapped hole?
|
| So the rod/bolt is held rigidly when held in the vice.
|
| |Does the sheet remain flat?
|
| It has to be several threads deep the ones we made was 1/8 thick sheet
|
| |Do you put a nut on each side of the sheet, or what stops the rod
| |rotating?
|
| The vice pressure stops the rod rotating,
|
|Is your piece of sheet very narrow, and looking rather like a nut with
|a cut through one side?

The piece I made was about 1 inch wide by 4 inches long by 1/8 inch wide

|In which case why not just use a nut?

It worked better than a nut because flexible curve at the end allowed the
threads to open and close easily. and had four taped holes. I have
searched for it but failed to find it, so you will have to make do with
ASCII art.

flexible metal round hole vice here
\/ \/

/ /-- \ |
/ / \ --- -- - |
| | --------/ \---------/ \----------/ \--------/\-------
| | --------\ /---------\ /----------\ /--------\/------- \
\ / --- -- - |
\ \---/ |
^ ^
Large round hole four threaded hole different sizes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the recommended way to hold threaded galvanised steel rod in a
vise so that the thread is not damaged?
The rod needs to be cut with a hacksaw. Actually it will be cut in a
metal bandsaw, but it's the same question as the bandsaw also has a
vise.

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Lead clamps are very good; use two "L" shaped pieces. Or you could use
aluminium clamps, made from an old number plate.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Matty F" contains these words:

I believe I have invented the best way, but I was wondering if there
was a "proper" way that a perfectionist engineer might use.

Personally I either use softjaws for the vice, if I can find where I
last put them, or I lock a couple of nuts onto the stud and grip them.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Then don't use the band saw,use a conventional hack saw.

It's got to be a really thick stud before it's quicker to use the
bandsaw. 10mm stud in 10secs with a hacksaw is easy.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Matty F" contains these words:

How long will it take to make 400 cuts through 5/8" rod with a hacksaw?

Hour and half, max.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Or you could use aluminium clamps, made from an old number plate.

A *very* old number plate. ;-)

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:43:33 +0100, Guy King wrote:

|The message .com
|from "Matty F" contains these words:
|
| How long will it take to make 400 cuts through 5/8" rod with a hacksaw?
|
|Hour and half, max.

Ooh you are fit ;-)