Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding SS to mild steel

What happens if you weld stainless steel (specifically type 304) to mild
steel? In my case, it'd be with a MIG welder using ordinary mild steel
wire.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
What happens if you weld stainless steel (specifically type 304) to mild
steel? In my case, it'd be with a MIG welder using ordinary mild steel
wire.

It welds ok. Stainless is a bit of a git to weld because of its lower
thermal conductivity - you end up overheating and melting away the
workpiece if you're not careful. But as far as "can I weld it to mild
steel with mild steel wire", yes you can.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

It welds ok. Stainless is a bit of a git to weld because of its lower
thermal conductivity - you end up overheating and melting away the
workpiece if you're not careful.

It'll be a bit of 25mm bar if I do, so I don't suppose melting it will
be a problem!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

It'll be a bit of 25mm bar if I do, so I don't suppose melting it will
be a problem!

No, you should be fine with that :-)

Hope you have a juicy mig.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

No, you should be fine with that :-)

Hope you have a juicy mig.

Full power, go slow, lean the torch well towards the bar and it'll work
well enough. It's only to hold the kids up, so not important!

I'm making a set of giant gimbals to strap them into so I can whirl them
round and round - the bar is for the axle.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Grunff contains these words:

No, you should be fine with that :-)

Hope you have a juicy mig.

Full power, go slow, lean the torch well towards the bar and it'll

work
well enough. It's only to hold the kids up, so not important!

I'm making a set of giant gimbals to strap them into so I can whirl

them
round and round - the bar is for the axle.

--
Skipweasel

Yikes what did they do wrong? Not tidy the bedroom or what !!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

Yikes what did they do wrong? Not tidy the bedroom or what !!!!

They've been begging me to get on with it!

--
Skipweasel