Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I've got router dovetail jig a while ago but

If your looking for one this is the cheapest I've seen so far,looks like
this is new as I don't remember Axminster slelling this one?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...C&pf_id=21752&

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-07 19:43:04 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

If your looking for one this is the cheapest I've seen so far,looks like
this is new as I don't remember Axminster slelling this one?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...C&pf_id=21752&

It's been around for a while. I had a play with one at Axminster's
show last autumn.

Actually for the money it isn't bad. They do point out that it is
best suited to a lightweight 6.35mm router and the reason for that is
that the construction is not that sturdy. A large 12.7mm router would
tend to deform it.

The White version at £48 is very much more substantial and worth the
extra money just for that.

I looked at the CMT one as well - Axminster have this one for £80.
The clamp is a bit better, but one still has the same issues of having
to plan setups carefully and the sequence of work to avoid having to
constantly reset the jig.

One has to look at the Leigh 1600 at £220 or D4 at £350 to see a big
difference in terms of construction quality and ease of use.
Obviously that is a big jump but width goes up from 300 to 400mm as
well.

None of the sub £100 jigs is very different to another, as far as I
could see in terms of ease of use, so I reckon that the Axminster White
and Trend Craftsman are pretty reasonable buys at around £50-60.
The Perform one might be OK for light work if one is careful and
doesn't expect too much from it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
If your looking for one this is the cheapest I've seen so far,looks like
this is new as I don't remember Axminster slelling this one?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...C&pf_id=21752&

Don't waste your money on these kind of jigs. This is the best buy in
dovetail jiggery if you can't afford a proper Leigh:

http://www.stots.com/tm.htm

Axminster do them.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/p...ster-21975.htm

You can make a cheap jig of any length with it out of 18mm MDF.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/p...Master-21975.h
tm

You can make a cheap jig of any length with it out of 18mm MDF.

R.

But you have to work out how deep to go with that 18GBP piece of plastic
and use extra clamps to clamp it to the worktop.

I suppose really if you buy the one I posted the same process could be done
by unscrewing the 6mm aluminium template off the dovetail jig.

Nah! I'll stick to the one I have. Ta

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
If your looking for one this is the cheapest I've seen so far,looks
like this is new as I don't remember Axminster slelling this one?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...C&pf_id=21752&

Thats it its bloody going on ebay.

Too much faffing about with these type of jigs the time spent adjusting the
working parts and spacing of wood stops and lining up the darn wood is 5 to
6 minutes give or take.
More hassle than they're worth.

I've got the patience of a saint,but these bloody jigs get the better of
you.

Arrrgh!

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:43:59 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
If your looking for one this is the cheapest I've seen so far,looks
like this is new as I don't remember Axminster slelling this one?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...C&pf_id=21752&

Thats it its bloody going on ebay.

Too much faffing about with these type of jigs the time spent adjusting the
working parts and spacing of wood stops and lining up the darn wood is 5 to
6 minutes give or take.
More hassle than they're worth.

I've got the patience of a saint,but these bloody jigs get the better of
you.

Arrrgh!

Well, if that's the description you're going to use on eBay you
won't get many bidders. Though if you do, can you let me know who
they are please, as I have some crappy stuff I want to unload.

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
If your looking for one this is the cheapest I've seen so far,looks
like this is new as I don't remember Axminster slelling this one?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...C&pf_id=21752&

Thats it its bloody going on ebay.

Too much faffing about with these type of jigs the time spent
adjusting the working parts and spacing of wood stops and lining up
the darn wood is 5 to 6 minutes give or take.
More hassle than they're worth.

I've got the patience of a saint,but these bloody jigs get the
better of you.

Arrrgh!

Well, if that's the description you're going to use on eBay you
won't get many bidders. Though if you do, can you let me know who
they are please, as I have some crappy stuff I want to unload.

Pete

Not much of a salesman you are you?

You just flaunt your stuff as crap as it may be and if it goes it goes.
If it doesn't sell, no worries as ebay don't charge for none bidded items

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite