Member

Default Water level in the toilet bowl

The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after they were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet bowl whih seems to indicate where the water level should be. I mentioned this to the plumber and asked if there was a way of adjusting the level of the water and he said that there wasn't. He siad that the level of the water is dictated by the height of the outlet at the back of the toilet. I myself find this hard to believe because the rim on the toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it always looks ....wrong or something.

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Fatboise

What the plumber said sounds right to me, if the bog's level I cant see
theres owt you can do ( apart from build a little dam !!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fatboise wrote:
The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after they
were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet bowl whih
seems to indicate where the water level should be. I mentioned this to
the plumber and asked if there was a way of adjusting the level of the
water and he said that there wasn't. He siad that the level of the
water is dictated by the height of the outlet at the back of the
toilet. I myself find this hard to believe because the rim on the
toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it always looks ....wrong or
something.

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
appreciated.

Your plumber is right, and you are wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Fatboise contains these words:

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
appreciated.

It can't. It's set by the height of the back of the outfall. Provided
it's level, that's where the water sits. Any ridge is purely there to
irritate the sensitive.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 15:43:20 +0100, Fatboise
wrote:

|The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after they
|were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet bowl whih
|seems to indicate where the water level should be. I mentioned this to
|the plumber and asked if there was a way of adjusting the level of the
|water and he said that there wasn't. He siad that the level of the
|water is dictated by the height of the outlet at the back of the
|toilet. I myself find this hard to believe because the rim on the
|toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it always looks ....wrong or
|something.
|
|Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
|appreciated.

The level of water in the bowl is set by the shape of the S bend at the
back, by the manufacturer. Adjusting the shape of the S bend is neither
practical nor advisable. Do nothing, the Manufacturer manufactures to some
standard, BS, or ISO which I have not looked up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fatboise wrote:
The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after they
were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet bowl whih
seems to indicate where the water level should be. I mentioned this to
the plumber and asked if there was a way of adjusting the level of the
water and he said that there wasn't. He siad that the level of the
water is dictated by the height of the outlet at the back of the
toilet. I myself find this hard to believe because the rim on the
toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it always looks ....wrong or
something.

The plumber's right - take a look at the following pic to understand how
the s-bend works, and how the level can't be any different:
http://www.toiletology.com/images/kohler01.gif

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fatboise Fatboise.2ff5mk@
diybanter.com writes

The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after they
were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet bowl whih
seems to indicate where the water level should be. I mentioned this to
the plumber and asked if there was a way of adjusting the level of the
water and he said that there wasn't. He siad that the level of the
water is dictated by the height of the outlet at the back of the
toilet. I myself find this hard to believe because the rim on the
toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it always looks ....wrong or
something.

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
appreciated.

Got a dog :-?

What others have said is true but to allay your fears, slowly pour a kettle
full of water into the pan, down the side. The level should basically remain
the same and is set by the level of the outlet. Report back if it rises by
more than 10mm.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:02:45 +0100, Guy King wrote:
The message
from Fatboise contains these words:

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
appreciated.

It can't. It's set by the height of the back of the outfall. Provided
it's level, that's where the water sits. Any ridge is purely there to
irritate the sensitive.

I have noticed that if the upstairs WC hasn't been used for a while
(some hours) and a weather system comes over, the water level in the
pan drops. Not something you can adjust yourself, but a possible
contributing factor

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Lynch wrote:
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:02:45 +0100, Guy King wrote:
The message
from Fatboise contains these words:

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
appreciated.

It can't. It's set by the height of the back of the outfall. Provided
it's level, that's where the water sits. Any ridge is purely there to
irritate the sensitive.

I have noticed that if the upstairs WC hasn't been used for a while
(some hours) and a weather system comes over, the water level in the
pan drops. Not something you can adjust yourself, but a possible
contributing factor

Pete

--
.................................................. ........................
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
. in a room with a tea cosy ...... Marlow, England .
. doesn't try it on (Billy Connolly) .....................................

a Bogrometer !!!!! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fatboise wrote:
The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after they
were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet bowl whih
seems to indicate where the water level should be. I mentioned this to
the plumber and asked if there was a way of adjusting the level of the
water and he said that there wasn't. He siad that the level of the
water is dictated by the height of the outlet at the back of the
toilet. I myself find this hard to believe because the rim on the
toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it always looks ....wrong or
something.

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
appreciated.

well, you can't adjust it . I have noticed though that on windy days
gusts of wind come down the SVP and cause the water to slosh about
which can cause the level to drop a bit. Interesting topic BTW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Fatboise wrote:
The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after
they were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet
bowl whih seems to indicate where the water level should be. I
mentioned this to the plumber and asked if there was a way of
adjusting the level of the water and he said that there wasn't. He
siad that the level of the water is dictated by the height of the
outlet at the back of the toilet. I myself find this hard to believe
because the rim on the toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it
always looks ....wrong or something.

Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
appreciated.

1) Completely seal the room so it's airtight. You'll probably need an
airlock instead of a door.
2) Install an adjustable vacuum pump to reduce the pressure in the room.

Atmospheric pressure in the soil pipe will push water around the U bend to
the level you desire. Then set the vacuum to that pressure. If it's only an
inch or so out yu should be able to breath OK at the reduced pressure - it
will be no worse than La Paz for example.

--
LSR

Member

Thanks for all the replies I'll have to go eat something now that resembles humble pie......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:09:23 +0100, "LSR" wrote:

|Fatboise wrote:
| The plumber recently installed two toilets in my house which, after
| they were installed, I noticed that there was a rim on the toilet
| bowl whih seems to indicate where the water level should be. I
| mentioned this to the plumber and asked if there was a way of
| adjusting the level of the water and he said that there wasn't. He
| siad that the level of the water is dictated by the height of the
| outlet at the back of the toilet. I myself find this hard to believe
| because the rim on the toilet bowl is there for a reason, plus it
| always looks ....wrong or something.
|
| Any advice on how the level can be adjusted would be greatly
| appreciated.
|
|1) Completely seal the room so it's airtight. You'll probably need an
|airlock instead of a door.
|2) Install an adjustable vacuum pump to reduce the pressure in the room.
|
|Atmospheric pressure in the soil pipe will push water around the U bend to
|the level you desire. Then set the vacuum to that pressure. If it's only an
|inch or so out yu should be able to breath OK at the reduced pressure - it
|will be no worse than La Paz for example.

But the soil pipe is full of *air*, so all you will get is big burps of
foul smelling air. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "LSR" contains these words:

Atmospheric pressure in the soil pipe will push water around the U bend to
the level you desire. Then set the vacuum to that pressure. If it's
only an
inch or so out yu should be able to breath OK at the reduced pressure - it
will be no worse than La Paz for example.

You might like to try one of these...
http://www.totallyabsurd.com/toiletsnorkel.htm

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:05:02 UTC, Guy King
wrote:

You might like to try one of these...
http://www.totallyabsurd.com/toiletsnorkel.htm

Were you watvhing QI at the weekend too?

Here's a (probably) more detailed description:

http://tinyurl.com/z44od

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't fancy using that snorkel idea if the soil stack terminates in a
roof space with an air admittance valve on top, we did just this with our
side extension so we didn't need to faff about sealing the pipe where it
would have come through the extension roof.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

You might like to try one of these...
http://www.totallyabsurd.com/toiletsnorkel.htm

Were you watvhing QI at the weekend too?

No - but I'd spotted it some time ago.

--
Skipweasel

Water gurgle in toilet when washing machine drains [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 4th 06 01:44 AM
Salt content of softened water Steve B Home Repair 26 January 25th 06 04:06 AM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Toilet Bowl Water Level Mike Home Repair 3 July 23rd 03 12:07 PM