Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Pine exterior doors

I've been looking for a new front door and I've perhaps been too fussy
about acquiring a hardwood one over pine.
But I've seen a pine front door on ebay.
It measures 208cm x 86cm which is taller than standard
and 45mm thick.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot. Do those measurements suggest a cheap
door that might warp?

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
I've been looking for a new front door and I've perhaps been too fussy
about acquiring a hardwood one over pine.
But I've seen a pine front door on ebay.
It measures 208cm x 86cm which is taller than standard
and 45mm thick.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot. Do those measurements suggest a cheap
door that might warp?

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

Arthur

Give us the EBay link.
"Pine" can mean anything from fast grown in Chile or South Africa to top
quality from Finland etc. Huge difference in raw material price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

The pine. Even good quality pine won't be as weather resistant as hardwood.
Cheap pine doors use cheap pine. Good quality pine would probably end up
not far short of cheap hardwood so no point in using it.

A £50 door is worth £50. A £300 door is £300 quids worth.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
51 wrote:

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

The pine. Even good quality pine won't be as weather resistant as hardwood.
Cheap pine doors use cheap pine. Good quality pine would probably end up
not far short of cheap hardwood so no point in using it.

A £50 door is worth £50. A £300 door is £300 quids worth.

Or not as the case may be.

There are two sorts of pine. Joinery quality was once called red pine
and was made with the various species that would absorb preservative
(or water, come to that.)

White pine, on the other hand, is pretty impervious and the finish on
the wood is not as good.

These days people will buy and sell any old crap (including illegally
logged tropical woods which at least one large firm in Scandinavia is
supplying the UK with.)

Either way, the door will need painting after it has been treatd with
preservative. I don't know much about modern preservatives but in the
good old days when we all used tabun derivatives, you had to leave the
preservative at least two days before painting.

That was because the preservative could react with the paint. Of course
in those days you could still get lead based primer so need not bother
with preservatives.

Along with species, joinery grade timber has no knots -or if there are
knots in it, they are of a certain nature not deemed defective enough
to mar the work. Search for "grading timber" for lists of quality
control.

I have actually seen veneered blanks edged with real pine -and knots in
the real pine. Bloody hell what *******. Never trust a man wearing a
suit or a uniform.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

I've been looking for a new front door and I've perhaps been too fussy
about acquiring a hardwood one over pine.
But I've seen a pine front door on ebay.
It measures 208cm x 86cm which is taller than standard
and 45mm thick.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot. Do those measurements suggest a cheap
door that might warp?

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

Arthur

'clear pine' means knot free, which much improves stability, and
increases price.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

There are two sorts of pine. Joinery quality was once called red pine
and was made with the various species that would absorb preservative
(or water, come to that.)

European Redwood is the species and the price/quality depends on how far
north it was grown. Finland and Siberia produce the best, but you don't
see that in the average merchant. At the other end of the scale, the UK
grown stuff is used mainly for pallets. Most respectable merchants will
stock something in between

White pine, on the other hand, is pretty impervious and the finish on
the wood is not as good.

European Whitewood is the Xmas tree, strictly speaking a spruce. The
better grades are virtually knot free, but it machines badly, which
mainly restricts its use to flooring. Said to be more stable than redwood.
The shrink wrapped stuff in the sheds appears to be neither of these,
possibly some kind of hybrid species grown on the equator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

"51" wrote in message
I've been looking for a new front door and I've perhaps been too fussy
about acquiring a hardwood one over pine.
But I've seen a pine front door on ebay.
It measures 208cm x 86cm which is taller than standard
and 45mm thick.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot. Do those measurements suggest a
cheap
door that might warp?

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

Arthur

Hi all.
Thanks for replies.
I didn't buy the door in the end.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What is Pitch Pine?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
"51" wrote in message
I've been looking for a new front door and I've perhaps been too fussy
about acquiring a hardwood one over pine.
But I've seen a pine front door on ebay.
It measures 208cm x 86cm which is taller than standard
and 45mm thick.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot. Do those measurements suggest a
cheap
door that might warp?

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

Arthur

Hi all.
Thanks for replies.
I didn't buy the door in the end.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What is Pitch Pine?

Pitch pine is to spruce as plasterboard is to egg cartons.

i.e. Slightly better...but not much.;-)

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
51 wrote:
"51" wrote in message
I've been looking for a new front door and I've perhaps been too fussy
about acquiring a hardwood one over pine.
But I've seen a pine front door on ebay.
It measures 208cm x 86cm which is taller than standard
and 45mm thick.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot. Do those measurements suggest
a cheap
door that might warp?

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

Arthur

Hi all.
Thanks for replies.
I didn't buy the door in the end.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What is Pitch Pine?

Pitch pine is to spruce as plasterboard is to egg cartons.

i.e. Slightly better...but not much.;-)

More like chalk and cheese. Chatham Docks was built with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:12:32 +0100, "51"
wrote:

"51" wrote in message
I've been looking for a new front door and I've perhaps been too fussy
about acquiring a hardwood one over pine.
But I've seen a pine front door on ebay.
It measures 208cm x 86cm which is taller than standard
and 45mm thick.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot. Do those measurements suggest a
cheap
door that might warp?

I suppose..a better question.
With pine doors, what characterizes them as not cheaply made?

Arthur

Hi all.
Thanks for replies.
I didn't buy the door in the end.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What is Pitch Pine?

Pretty nice stripped:
http://www.doorwarehouse.co.uk/showdoor.php?args=Pattern%2030~(P)~(I|B)~(.)~(.)~( .)~(.)~(.)

Not very fashionable now judging by the number of 1930s doors I see in
skips these days, probably replaced by moulded hardboard or something.

Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 21st 06 08:47 PM
Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber [email protected] Woodworking 6 April 21st 06 12:20 PM
White pine vs. Yellow pine PVR Woodworking 13 April 24th 05 06:19 PM
staining Pine Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 February 14th 05 07:26 PM
NEW ENGLAND PINE BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 4 January 8th 05 04:09 PM