Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reducing rain noise on Velux windows

My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Leave it open, in the vertical position. :-)

Sorry to be frivolous over what is obviously a serious problem, but I
really don't think there's a very satisfactory solution. My best serious
suggestion is to tape bubble-wrap over it.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

earplugs !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

Get him an IPOD - his hearing will be sufficiently wrecked by the time
he is 5 not to notice it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

earplugs !

Anyway, I have fond memories of my childhood associated with V bomber
coming in to land at 50 feet over the house.

And being woken in the early hours by the sparking of the electric
trains on a frosty morning.

Now if you REALLY want crap, try peacocks, or living in a slum over a
bus stop in crouch end. Those big diesels used to shake the floorboards
and rattle the windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

Presumably its already doube glazed, which cuts out the majority of the
noise. I doubt theres any solution, some things in life we just have to
deal with. One thing might or might not be worth a try, erecting
netting above the window, the curtain netting type of stuff. It might
slow the drops and break them up, thus reducing noise, or it might get
blown away.

Triple glazing would also work, but...

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Velux used to do an external shutter specifically for its windows. Not
cheap as it was electrically operated and needed there specific motors/
controller. Also retro fitting may be a problem but perhaps worth
looking at. I assume that you have already got there snug fitting blind
attatched to the window. Could you perhaps add some sound absorbing
material to this?
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Oct 2006 14:07:04 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Jack the house up and move it to the Atacama desert, or the dry
valleys of Antarctica. Ear plugs or 30mg of Diazepam might work too.

The answer, cruel as it may sound is to make sure the little blighter
is well fed, watered, winded and with a fresh nappy. Then close the
bedroom door, fit your earplugs and ignore him until *you* decide to
wake up at 7am or whatever. If he's tired he'll sleep, if he wants to
ball his head off you can't hear it and he'll soon learn that
nighttime means sleep regardless of rain on the Velux. It might be a
few weeks or months before he gets the message though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

I have the same problem (only it is me that is kept awake). I am moving
house soon so have decided to live with it for now :O)

The only thing that I considered was getting some solid polystyrene
insulation and cutting it to the exact size of the window surround on
the inside and coming up with *some* form of fixing solution that
allowed it to be applied and removed quickly Velcro maybe?

HTH

Gerry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

. wrote:
Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

earplugs !

Anyway, I have fond memories of my childhood associated with V bomber
coming in to land at 50 feet over the house.

And being woken in the early hours by the sparking of the electric
trains on a frosty morning.

Now if you REALLY want crap, try peacocks, or living in a slum over a
bus stop in crouch end. Those big diesels used to shake the floorboards
and rattle the windows.

If you have ever lived in most houses down under the above comlaint is
laughable. Try living in a house with a metal roof under a tropical
downpour or hail storm. I grew up in Auckland NZ and we had a corrugated
iron roof (I helped my Dad paint it, DIY reference). We had no roof
space as high ceilings help with the heat but in a good hailstorm you
had to shout if you were upstairs...

Rain on a Velux, luxury, sheer luxury.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

k...

. wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

tin roof! You were lucky! We had no roof and t' hail used to flay us alive.

etc. etc. )

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Strains of Dvorak's New World Symphony as murdered by a colliery brass band.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. wrote:
Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.
earplugs !

Anyway, I have fond memories of my childhood associated with V bomber
coming in to land at 50 feet over the house.

And being woken in the early hours by the sparking of the electric
trains on a frosty morning.

Now if you REALLY want crap, try peacocks, or living in a slum over a
bus stop in crouch end. Those big diesels used to shake the floorboards
and rattle the windows.

If you have ever lived in most houses down under the above comlaint is
laughable. Try living in a house with a metal roof under a tropical
downpour or hail storm.

YES!!

I grew up in Auckland NZ and we had a corrugated
iron roof (I helped my Dad paint it, DIY reference). We had no roof
space as high ceilings help with the heat but in a good hailstorm you
had to shout if you were upstairs...

Oh, I spent time in a converted shed in Johannesburg's Northern Suburbs.
Tin roof, no insulation...lord the relief when it DID rain, as the temp
would at least drop down sub 30C...you wanted to wake up just to enjoy it..

I remember bewng woken in a friends converted mill in Tuscany, by the
sound of..well it sort of went tock.....tock...tock..tock..tock-tock SPLAT!.

I aksed him waht it was.."Oh. The roof is solid 4 courses of tiles
cemented together, and see that there, thats the Walnut tree..they drop
off, bounce down the roof and end up on the drive.."

Rain on a Velux, luxury, sheer luxury.

Yup.

Teach the little ******* to actually be part of the real world outside
the TV/video game/suburban cotton wool.

As one who has successfully sept through rick concerts, and on the tiled
floor of Zeebrugge Ferry terminal, let me assure you that sleeping is
simply a question of being tired enough.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Matt
writes
On 2 Oct 2006 14:07:04 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Jack the house up and move it to the Atacama desert, or the dry
valleys of Antarctica. Ear plugs or 30mg of Diazepam might work too.

The answer, cruel as it may sound is to make sure the little blighter
is well fed, watered, winded and with a fresh nappy. Then close the
bedroom door, fit your earplugs and ignore him until *you* decide to
wake up at 7am or whatever. If he's tired he'll sleep, if he wants to
ball his head off you can't hear it and he'll soon learn that
nighttime means sleep regardless of rain on the Velux. It might be a
few weeks or months before he gets the message though

Funny how they normally sleep through natural noises like thunder, but
wake on most anything else!;;;
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Matt
writes
[...]

fear of missing something going on ... I remember it well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cuprager wrote:
Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

I have the same problem (only it is me that is kept awake). I am moving
house soon so have decided to live with it for now :O)

The only thing that I considered was getting some solid polystyrene
insulation and cutting it to the exact size of the window surround on
the inside and coming up with *some* form of fixing solution that
allowed it to be applied and removed quickly Velcro maybe?

HTH

Gerry

My father-in-law suggested a similar idea Gerry. I know I'm not going
to describe this very well but here goes - the room is in a single
storey extension with pitched roof. The ceiling is flat ie it doesn't
follow the roof line so two recesses have been created in the ceiling
to allow access to the Veluxes. My father-in-law suggested cutting
some upholsterer's foam the same size as the recess and using that when
it's raining. Now to find said foam....

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

No roof!! you were lucky....... there were 16 of us and we all lived
under a stone in a lake, a cold lake at that lad, you dunno your'e
born.............trouble at mill.... trouble at mill!!!!!

Sorry, Monty Python rant over. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

I'm also having the same problem myself since moving into a loft
conversion!
As mentioned by others the velux shutter option seems to offer
additional sound proofing through foam backed metal but I don't know
how good it is! At around £300 I want it to be perfectly silent!!
Post back if you go for it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

====================
I think a wooden frame covered in fine wire mesh would do the job. It would need
to be attached an inch or so above the glass. Kitchen strainers and fire guards
use this kind of wire mesh and you should be able to buy it by the sheet -
possibly in B&Q or Wickes.

War time despatch riders' goggles used the same principle. They were made from
aluminium sheet with thin slits cut into the aluminium. The idea was that the
slits were too narrow to allow rain drops to enter but they were so close to the
eyes that the aluminium appeared to be invisible.

Cic.

It has removed 1053 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Matt
writes
[...]

I think it boils down to what you grew up with. I can sleep through
almost any aircraft noise, and to be honeset traffic doesn't bother me
that much, but I GENERALLY wake up to thunder, and teh only thing I
cannot stand is the sound of the human voices, especially screaming
babies. Oh and 'doof doof' music.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message

oups.com...

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

I'm also having the same problem myself since moving into a loft
conversion!
As mentioned by others the velux shutter option seems to offer
additional sound proofing through foam backed metal but I don't know
how good it is! At around £300 I want it to be perfectly silent!!
Post back if you go for it...

I have external shutters installed on my velux windows. They don't offer
perfect silence but do reduce the noise significantly, making a huge
difference when it isn't raining too hard. It's hard to judge however if
this would be enough to prevent your son from waking up (mine are not in a
bedroom).
I had mine installed together with the windows but they can be retrofitted.

Koen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:46:06 +0100, Matt wrote:

The answer, cruel as it may sound is to make sure the little blighter
is well fed, watered, winded and with a fresh nappy. Then close the
bedroom door, fit your earplugs and ignore him until *you* decide to
wake up at 7am or whatever. If he's tired he'll sleep, if he wants to
ball his head off you can't hear it and he'll soon learn that
nighttime means sleep regardless of rain on the Velux. It might be a
few weeks or months before he gets the message though

That is a little extreme but that approach is better IMHO than trying to
reomve the root cause of the "problem". The noise is not a threat and can
be safely ignored, he needs to learn that.

Our lad developed a habit of getting out of bed after being put down to
sleep for any variety of suprious reasons. This started to become a PITA,
so we adopted something seen on the telly (probably "Super Nanny").

First time he gets out on an evening put him back and talk quietly
explaining it's time to sleep and that the rain noise is nothing to worry
about, next occasion that night back into bed and just a "night night",
third occasion just back into bed and no interaction. This won't go down
well, it took about a week before our lad would go to bed and stay put
but well worth it.

With something intermittent like rain noise it will probably take longer
than a week but the key is to not to make a fuss over the noise or him
waking. It's just something that happens, you can't do anything about it
and is not a threat or danger.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Our lad developed a habit of getting out of bed after being put down to
sleep for any variety of suprious reasons.

They all do that!

I rather like the sound of rain - but it's best in a tent.

Perhaps teaching him to enjoy it would be easiest.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Our lad developed a habit of getting out of bed after being put down to
sleep for any variety of suprious reasons.

They all do that!

I rather like the sound of rain - but it's best in a tent.

Perhaps teaching him to enjoy it would be easiest.

I used to worry about not sleeping, then decided lying in bed with my eyes
shut resting was just as good and stopped worrying about it. Sometimes I
sleep, sometimes I don't. Rain noise is good though (generally).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:48:23 +0100, Owain wrote:

I developed a habit of getting out of bed about the time my parents
finished their after-dinner sherry so I was allowed to drain the
glasses. :-)

Sheery *after* dinner? Sherry is before surely? Followed by a nice red
with dinner, a desert white with pudding and finally port.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

I developed a habit of getting out of bed about the time my parents
finished their after-dinner sherry so I was allowed to drain the
glasses. :-)

In the late 60s when I was having parties as a smallish boy mum used to
make rather strong sherry trifles. Apparently the guests were very
subdued and appeared extremely worn out by the time they were collected.
Other parents assumed they'd been very busy...

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Paul

You can reduce the noise inside by fitting a blackout blind with a good
track mechanism, or, to my mind best solution buy yourself an awning
blind for it.

The awning blinds for VELUX are to my mind the best kept blind secret
in the UK, because no-one seems to use them yet they are fantastic ( I
have 3). They are designed to stop the heat before it hits the pane,
and made from a black mesh material. They are far more efficient at
stopping heat than other types of blind, and the nice little side
effect is that they absolutely diffuse the noise of the rain too. Oh
yes and they look great from the outside.

You can get the branded ones direct from VELUX at
www.veluxblindsdirect.co.uk, or some cheaper (but very good) ones from
www.itzala.net

Hope this helps

Decoman

Paul wrote:

My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

decoman wrote:
[...]

Wow, they look great. Thanks for the tip! The Velux ones are £97 each
for my son's windows, Itzala ones are £39. I can't see a lot of
difference between them besides the 'name' and the Velux one seems to
have a cord for easy operation. Can I ask which ones you use?

Thanks again,
Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

Is it the rain on the glass or on the flashings? We have several
veluxes, and the ones where more of the top flashing is covered by the
slate are substantially quieter than those with lots of bare metal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux
windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

A thick coating of vaseline on the outside....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

decoman wrote:
[...]

I got the ones from itzala.net. A bit slow on the delivery but well
worth the wait for the price difference. (saved 150 quid or so)

Actually I also should point out the blinds sit under the hood of the
Velux window so when it is not fixed it is invisible. Excellent
designers these Danes!

Rgds

Decoman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

decoman wrote:

Paul wrote:

decoman wrote:
[...]

Nice one - it seems just the thing I'm after as well.
Does the awning stay tight to the window ? - ie, what if it's windy,
does it bash around?
cheers for the info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nice one - it seems just the thing I'm after as well.
Does the awning stay tight to the window ? - ie, what if it's windy,
does it bash around?
cheers for the info.

Well I haven't really had any really severe weather to comment, they
are held by the tension so so far I have no complaints - they seem to
remain tight....

On a separate note I was in Austria last week and noticed that these
awning type blinds on roof windows are all over the place, yet I've
never seen anyone else using them here but me.

Regards

Decoman

bob wrote:
decoman wrote:

Paul wrote:

decoman wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Well I haven't really had any really severe weather to comment, they
are held by the tension so so far I have no complaints - they seem to
remain tight....

On a separate note I was in Austria last week and noticed that these
awning type blinds on roof windows are all over the place, yet I've
never seen anyone else using them here but me.

Regards

Decoman

I still haven't got around to buying the awning yet!
How has your awning faired up to the recent wind and rain by the
buckets load?

cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

decoman, are you still about?

Did you follow the instructions to the letter when successfully installing your awning blind?

I am following the instructions at
http://www.velux.co.uk/en-GB/Documen...50821-0210.pdf
but the 'pre-drilled holes' they mention on page 12 aren't there.

Hope I am looking in the right place!

thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/14 20:58, wrote:
decoman, are you still about?

Lame spamming *******...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The 2 screws are from the window frame, take them out and add the hooks

How Quiet Can I Get From Boxing a Noisy Shop Vac? [email protected] Woodworking 29 August 30th 06 06:00 PM
Replacement Windows Carl Home Repair 33 June 17th 06 03:10 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
Reducing PVC waste pipe noise Mark L. Home Repair 9 November 2nd 05 02:45 AM
Reducing register noise Jim Home Repair 4 July 21st 05 01:29 AM