Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor tiles for bodge job

We have a new washing machine coming next week to replace the old one
which has been leaking for years.
The floor tiles around it are broken and some had started to lift, so I
have removed some of them.
They are what I know of as composite tiles 300 x 300 mm by 2 mm thick
laid directly onto the concrete floor.

"She" had a flooring company round, who obviously don't want to take on
the job, and who have failed to produce the promised estimate. They say
the obviously gappy black glue under the tiles was a damp course, so any
new tiles would need a layer of impervious gunge underneath.

About 5 or 6 years ago I went to somewhere like Poundland and replaced
one broken tile with a 300 x 300 x 1mm stick-on tile. It has been
excellent, is still stuck and looks fine.

I want to get something down by next week. The flooring company can't
start till next year, and I expect their estimate for vinyl sheet
flooring will be way over our budget.

Looking at a quick bodge of about 3 sq metres of stick on tiles, they
all now seem to be 305x305, but do come in up to 1.5 mm thickness. Is
there any real reason not to just grab a few boxes of these and stick
them down before we level up the new washing machine on them?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 00:48:03 UTC, Bill wrote:
[...]

Self adhesive onse aren't water tolerant IME. Remove the glue with paraffin and use something more effective and they'll do the job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 1:22:40 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

It's a shame you have to cover the damp floor with anything. Give it a chance to dry out before the new floor goes down?
On a solid floor we went for a commercial grade vinyl. Limited range but indestructible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
stuart noble writes
[...]

Sorry, should have been clearer. The old leaking machine has been out
for a few weeks and the floor is dry. I was looking at commercial vinyl,
but that was when I was thinking of the whole floor, not just a patch up
job.

Commercial tiles don't seem to match the 300 x 300 size very well, many
are thicker than the present tiles, and I'm still searching for anywhere
local with them in stock or here before the weekend.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No.
After all they are underneath and I'd not expect a new machine to leak, but
be sure they are fully stuck before you put such a heaving thing on them I'd
suggest.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you plan to put vinyl over the top of the existing tiles, why not just use levelling compound where the tiles have lifted?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/17 00:48, Bill wrote:
[...]

Can't see any problems with that.

The only thing is - dragging the machine out may catch on the edges and
lift them.

A section of vinyl (also stuck down with evostik type adhesive) might be
a better bet.