Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keeping toilet unblocked

Is it worthwhile every few months putting some Caustic soda crystals
down the toilet to prevent blocking?

Every year my toilet gets blocked. About half an hour with flexible
rods and "pumping" with a toilet brush seems to push it all through.

I live alone so I know what goes down there - and there ain't nothing
that should cause a problem. However, the soil pipe has all kinds of
interesting bends and twists into a shared soil pipe for all the flats.
Now the problem doesn't occur in the shared stack (though it would be a
nightmare if the shared stack did block as there are no "inspection" or
"rodding" points along the pipe - and the bloody thing is inside the
building. God help us if it blocks.)

So, I am guessing the rather twisted nature of the pipe from the pan
makes it vulnerable to blocking. Can I keep it ultra clean with
chemicals or will it just block from time to time?

Thanks

Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
[...]

Actually a selection of good flushes is often enough..I did this to my
loo whilst buildng the new bathroom - LOT of cement and plaster went
down it..I just kept flushing till there was an enormous WHOOSH and it
all cleared.

Plenty of water is te secret of keeping stuff clean. Hot water is good,
and hot caustic is better, but I try not to do it too often.

once a problem starts it usually builds..as flow rate is what keeps the
thing swept clean.

Thanks

Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
Is it worthwhile every few months putting some Caustic soda crystals
down the toilet to prevent blocking?

Every year my toilet gets blocked. About half an hour with flexible
rods and "pumping" with a toilet brush seems to push it all through.

When our toilet in the shop used to get blocked with a "big hard one"
I just crumbled up a washing powder tablet (Fairy FWIW) and left it a
few hours. The extra slippery water and I guess softening action on the
offending object always seemed to shi(f)t it on the next flush.

I occasionally crumble up a dishwasher tablet in the bowl at home just
to keep things slipping along.

:¬)

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Diagnosing sluggish toilet flush David D. Home Repair 9 March 6th 06 07:14 PM
Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
intermittent weak flush on toilet Timo Home Repair 5 August 31st 05 01:40 PM
toilet install edee em Home Repair 1 July 12th 03 07:14 PM