David Hearn

Default Underfelt/sarking to an unlined roof?

Our 1930's semi has a roof which is unlined. Consequently the roof is very
dusty (I think from the old tiles + dirt etc). We have no plans to
re-tiling the roof - but still would like to do something to stop the dust
coming in.

My thoughts were to possibly staple something to the underside of the roof
timbers - however I am very concerned about damp - I most certainly don't
want to create something where damp/water could end up sitting next to the
wood. I would also like it to be a very simple solution (ie. not a full job
of insulating between the beams before plasterboarding it or something) -
also cost is a big thing.

The end goal is to make the roof signfificantly less dusty than it is, so we
can store boxes up there without becoming too dusty/dirty.

I think some discussion happened on this before (as part of a sub-thread of
something else) but I can't find it in google, plus, I doubt the whole
situation was explained (I think it ended up including lots and lots of work
for a simple task).

Thanks

David

--
To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.

Alan James

"David Hearn" wrote in message
Our 1930's semi has a roof which is unlined. Consequently the roof is

very
dusty (I think from the old tiles + dirt etc). We have no plans to
re-tiling the roof - but still would like to do something to stop the dust
coming in.

You may have 70 years of dust. I had similar and did a complete clean
including under the ceiling insulation. I have found the rate of new dust
deposition is actually quite low and doesn't really much affect things in
boxes.

As long as you maintain free ventilation in the rafter space stapling a
membrane to the rafters shouldn't cause damp, may actually improve things.

Alan

Conrad Edwards

"David Hearn" wrote in message ...
Our 1930's semi has a roof which is unlined. Consequently the roof is very
dusty (I think from the old tiles + dirt etc). We have no plans to
re-tiling the roof - but still would like to do something to stop the dust
coming in.

My thoughts were to possibly staple something to the underside of the roof
timbers - however I am very concerned about damp - I most certainly don't
want to create something where damp/water could end up sitting next to the
wood. I would also like it to be a very simple solution (ie. not a full job
of insulating between the beams before plasterboarding it or something) -
also cost is a big thing.

The end goal is to make the roof signfificantly less dusty than it is, so we
can store boxes up there without becoming too dusty/dirty.

How about covering the boxes with plastic sheeting?
David Hearn

"Alan James" wrote in message

"David Hearn" wrote in message
Our 1930's semi has a roof which is unlined. Consequently the roof is

very
dusty (I think from the old tiles + dirt etc). We have no plans to
re-tiling the roof - but still would like to do something to stop the

dust
coming in.

You may have 70 years of dust. I had similar and did a complete clean
including under the ceiling insulation. I have found the rate of new dust
deposition is actually quite low and doesn't really much affect things in
boxes.

That is quite possible and may well be the case. I'm planning on boarding
out the loft (or at least some of it) - so I could try cleaning as much as I
could, and then boarding it up. I don't fancy vacuuming up the loft
insulation though (or moving it as that also produces a lot of dust).

As long as you maintain free ventilation in the rafter space stapling a
membrane to the rafters shouldn't cause damp, may actually improve things.

What I was thinking of was to possibly do it up to the ridge (or 1 foot
short of the ridge) and also about 1 foot short of where it meets the loft
floor/joists. That would ensure that its not completely sealed, allows
airflow between the rafters yet stops most of it from dropping on the main
area of the loft.

I guess the question would also be whether to use something permeable or
non-permeable. Permeable would help the airflow (until possibly it got
'clogged' with dust) - though I wonder whether it could actually retain
water like a dishcloth!

So - assuming I left a 1 foot gap between the top and the bottom of the
lining, any suggestions as to what I should use to line my roof?

Thanks

polycarb roof in2minds UK diy 2 September 7th 03 07:43 PM
Garage - timber for roof trusses Paul UK diy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 AM
Corrugated Asbestos Roof - what replacements? The Q UK diy 12 July 14th 03 07:20 PM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 02:55 PM