Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen lighting: track system with pendant lighting

Hi all

I am going to renovate our kitchen and have been looking into lighting.
It seems that recessed spotlights are popular nowadays, but have come
under criticism for being too directional to give uniform illumination
to the room. Also I'm a bit loathe to tear up the floor above the
kitchen in order to install the wiring for the spots. I'm looking for a
way to give reasonably uniform illumination to the kitchen. I'm
thinking of installing a system where the lights are mounted on a track
or steel cables. Most of these systems involve spot-lights, which comes
back to the problem of non-uniform illumination. However, I have come a
track system that has pendant lighting which is probably less
directional than spots:

http://www.e-lights.co.uk/track/html...linux/roba.htm

Has anyone reading this used this product and has any comments? Any
alternative ideas?

thanks in advance

Julian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi all

snipped
thinking of installing a system where the lights are mounted on a track
or steel cables. Most of these systems involve spot-lights, which comes
back to the problem of non-uniform illumination. However, I have come a
track system that has pendant lighting which is probably less
directional than spots:

http://www.e-lights.co.uk/track/html...linux/roba.htm

Has anyone reading this used this product and has any comments? Any
alternative ideas?

Not used that exact system, but we have the ASS 1 circuit system in our
kitchen, with effectively 8 lamps, and it is flexible enough to provide
illumination exactly where needed. One caveat though, the fittings can
get pretty mucky in a kitchen environment, so be prepared to take them
down and wipe them at least four times a year.

Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for the helpful replies. I just came across the following
cable system which would be perfect as the lights are non-directional:

http://www.lightwavesconcept.com/pro...84_PreviewLogo

Trouble is they are a US company so are 110Volt. I've just sent them a
mail to ask if it is available in a 240 Volt version but I'm not that
hopeful..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Offline so haven't looked at that URL, but any "professional" mains
track system (as used in shops) will have a flex adapter as shops need
to be able to attach illuminated display cases to the system.

Pendants don't have to be hung vertically below the track - you can do a
loop of flex through a hook.

Theres also the forerunner of the track system, a central rose with
flexes coming out going to each light, with each light hanging on a
hook. Flexible and gives a spider effect.

US fittings wont be upto it, the problem is safety standards not
voltage. A slip of card just isnt considered adequate insulation from
mains voltage here. And there are various other safety problems with
their stuff.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is what I was concerned about, I think I'll have to avoid that
product. Also the dealer in the US mentioned potentially having to put
wooden blocks in the wall to take up as the cables are under quite
strong tension. Idon't like the idea of having to go to these
lengths...

US fittings wont be upto it, the problem is safety standards not
voltage. A slip of card just isnt considered adequate insulation from
mains voltage here. And there are various other safety problems with
their stuff.

NT

Where Can I Get Pendant Lights on a Track System sarjo UK diy 4 April 23rd 06 01:30 PM
generic question about track lighting k Home Repair 3 July 23rd 05 02:14 PM
Is track lighting only controlled by a wall switch and must wiringbe behind the wall/ceiling? ggg Home Ownership 5 December 5th 04 07:33 PM
Track Lighting BigDaDDY Home Repair 1 February 19th 04 07:52 PM
Dark Kitchen / Track Lighting? Quidnunc Home Repair 12 January 19th 04 01:32 AM