Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how do I hang an internal door-using previous door as template?

Hi.
I am going to hang another internal door. I am thinking of using the
same hinge spaces on the frame. In this case will I get an accurate
measurement of the door if I just take the old door off and use it as a
template for the new one. It just seems easier that offering the new
door up to the frame etc.
Thanks lots

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
On 27 Sep 2006 16:41:50 -0700, wrote:

Hi.
I am going to hang another internal door. I am thinking of using the
same hinge spaces on the frame. In this case will I get an accurate
measurement of the door if I just take the old door off and use it as a
template for the new one. It just seems easier that offering the new
door up to the frame etc.
Thanks lots

If the old door was a good fit, then making the new door exactly the
same will be satisfactory.

Clamp the doors together with clamps as this will make it easy to copy
exactly.

Not likely though, as doors warp and twist as well as having angles put
on them at fitting and after some wear and tear.

It is not difficult to offer the door to the frame. Just check the
frame is still fixed formly and it doesn't need adjusting itself. You
need a tape measure and a spirit level for this.

Offer the door on a piece of cardbaord under which there is a boulster
chisel and a long tapered wedge cut from a 2 x 2. Offset the wedge on
the handle side and place the chisel in the middle.

Raise the new door to the top of the frame and wedge it in, then use
the chisel to work it over to the hinge side.

If the top of the door touches the head of the frame all the way along,
you can go ahead and drop the door a pennywidth (these days a two penny
width) and mark the hinges. Remove door and take a "leading edge" off
the top and sides.

If the head is not parallel, mark how much needs to come off and where
then remove and adjust accordingly.

Carry the pencil marks for the hinge spacing round to the side of the
door and cut them out. Fit the hinge and offer the door "side on" so
that tipping the door slightly, allows you to start the first screw in
the top hinge.

Lift the door using your foot on the boulster and a small bock under it
and fit the top hing fully with the one screw. Fit the bottom hinge by
wedging the door away from the frame as it hangs from the top hinge.
The hinge should go home cleanly again, with one screw.

Then fit the middle hinge if there is one. Then try the door closed. If
it seems OK, fit the rest of the screws. Remember that the gap will
change slightly as the remaining screws clamp the side tighter to the
frame.