Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Float Valve - what type is this?

Please see these two pictures:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9/P9260050.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9/P9260049.jpg

As can be seen, the water inlet pipe is at the bottom.

I'm trying to replace the minimum that's necessary, so presumably I
can purchase a part that will screw onto the white part represented by
the large plastic nut just behind the flush handle?

I don't really want to have the remove the whole inlet pipe if it's
possible to avoid doing so.

I see there are some float vales on Ebay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...le=float+valve

But would any of those be suitable?

If not, can anyone recommend something suitable please? I'm a float
valve virgin. :-)

Thanks
Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"phil" wrote in message
Please see these two pictures:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9/P9260050.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9/P9260049.jpg

As can be seen, the water inlet pipe is at the bottom.

I'm trying to replace the minimum that's necessary, so presumably I
can purchase a part that will screw onto the white part represented by
the large plastic nut just behind the flush handle?

I don't really want to have the remove the whole inlet pipe if it's
possible to avoid doing so.

I see there are some float vales on Ebay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...le=float+valve

But would any of those be suitable?

If not, can anyone recommend something suitable please? I'm a float
valve virgin. :-)

Thanks
Phil

Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/kvdfx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-26 15:54:26 +0100, (phil) said:

Please see these two pictures:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9/P9260050.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9/P9260049.jpg

As can be seen, the water inlet pipe is at the bottom.

I'm trying to replace the minimum that's necessary, so presumably I
can purchase a part that will screw onto the white part represented by
the large plastic nut just behind the flush handle?

I don't really want to have the remove the whole inlet pipe if it's
possible to avoid doing so.

I see there are some float vales on Ebay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...le=float+valve

But would any of those be suitable?

If not, can anyone recommend something suitable please? I'm a float
valve virgin. :-)

Thanks
Phil

It's not worth buying bits and pieces.

They probably won't fit and you will end up making several trips and
spending more money and more importantly time.

The best replacement is an equilibrium float valve such as a Torbeck.

and also obtainable from DIY stores. Buy a fibre washer for the tap
connector fitting on the bottom. These usually fall apart when the old
one is removed.

Turn off the water and undo the nut on the tap connector (metal
fitting underneath) and remove the old valve.

Take the new one and if the cistern is filled by mains water fit the
high pressure (HP) restrictor in the inlet of the valve. Otherwise fit
the low pressure (LP) one.

Offer the valve through the base of the cistern following the location
of where the rubber sealing ring should go - normally inside. Do
not tighten the valve into the base of the cistern yet but leave it
quite loose.

Put the new fibre washer on the tap connector flange and offer up the
fitting to the valve. CAREFULLY screw on the nut taking CARE not to
force it and making sure it doesn't cross thread.
Do up finger tight only.

Now do up the nut holding the valve to the base of the cistern gently
using a wrench and holding the valve stem inside the cistern.

Finally tighten the fitting nut gently with a wrench, NOT forcing it.

Unscrew the ring securing the front part of the valve in place and
remove the cap and black diaphragm.

Briefly turn on the water to flush out any crud that may have become loose.

Refit the diaphragm, front cap and ring of valve.

Job done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Andy, if my fluidmaster is buggered - whatever I do it still does the
intermittent fill by itself - do I need a whole new valve assembly ie the
bit from inlet to float at about 12 quid? Or is there a likely culprit that
is available as a spare?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:11:31 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Andy and John - thanks for the suggestions.

Won't I though need a new arm and float if going for the Andy's
Screwfix suggestion?

What's that loose piece of plastic hanging off the Screwfix unit? It
looks like a long plastic bag to my untrained eye.

Are the compact units any good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:17:32 GMT, "VisionSet"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Andy, if my fluidmaster is buggered - whatever I do it still does the
intermittent fill by itself - do I need a whole new valve assembly ie the
bit from inlet to float at about 12 quid? Or is there a likely culprit that
is available as a spare?

Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUIDMASTER-FLOAT-VALVE-BATHROOM-TOILET-PLUMBER-DIY_W0QQitemZ180030644648QQihZ008QQcategoryZ57212Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUIDMASTER-FLOAT-VALVE-BATHROOM-TOILET-PLUMBER-DIY_W0QQitemZ180032415944QQihZ008QQcategoryZ57212Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:44:24 +0100, Pete C
wrote:

Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUIDMASTER-FLOAT-VALVE-BATHROOM-TOILET-PLUMBER-DIY_W0QQitemZ180030644648QQihZ008QQcategoryZ57212Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUIDMASTER-FLOAT-VALVE-BATHROOM-TOILET-PLUMBER-DIY_W0QQitemZ180032415944QQihZ008QQcategoryZ57212Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks - how do they differ besides a different colour and model
number?

Also, they don't require the additional arm and ball float do they?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:14:40 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

Silencer. It stops the water falling into the cistern with a splash.
They used to be rigid pipe led to below the water level, but to avoid
the posibility of sucking water back into the pipes from the cistern in
the event of a vacuum in the supply they're made of collapsible plastic
now so you can't suck through them.

I see, thanks you.

I now can't decide whether to go for the original old design (float
ball and arm) or the newer type with the integrated float.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-26 18:17:32 +0100, "VisionSet" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Andy, if my fluidmaster is buggered - whatever I do it still does the
intermittent fill by itself - do I need a whole new valve assembly ie the
bit from inlet to float at about 12 quid? Or is there a likely culprit that
is available as a spare?

I tried a Fluidmaster and found problems with the float, so replaced it
with the Torbeck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

phil wrote in message
Please see these two pictures:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...9/P9260050.jpg
As can be seen, the water inlet pipe is at the bottom.

I'm trying to replace the minimum that's necessary, so presumably I
can purchase a part that will screw onto the white part represented by
the large plastic nut just behind the flush handle?

Despite what others have said, all you need to replace is the diaphragm
washer.
It looks like this
http://i10.tinypic.com/2nl9saw.jpg
and costs a few pence,
... unless you buy it from B&Q

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:55:31 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Despite what others have said, all you need to replace is the diaphragm
washer.
It looks like this
http://i10.tinypic.com/2nl9saw.jpg
and costs a few pence,
.. unless you buy it from B&Q

Thanks. I assume though that there are different sizes for different
float valve assemblies, so I guess the only way to find the right type
for my unit is to take mine apart and measure it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:53:12 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

The cost of shipping will exceed the cost of the part, assuming it can
be found.....

My thoughts exactly.

Hence the suggestion to replace the thing and done with it.

Indeed. Looks like that's the best option then, thanks.