Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internal door

I have been reversing the hang of a typical hardboard panelled grained
internal door.

After changing the hinges over I found that the door had been cut to suit a
rather out of square frame so I need to consider putting the hinges on the
catch side and filling the holes as best I can.

The trouble is, I think there isn't the same reinforcement for the catch
mechanism on the opposite edge of the door.

Any ideas? Getting a new door appeals - but I lack the decent tools to trim
it to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I have been reversing the hang of a typical hardboard panelled grained
internal door.

After changing the hinges over I found that the door had been cut to suit
a rather out of square frame so I need to consider putting the hinges on
the catch side and filling the holes as best I can.

The trouble is, I think there isn't the same reinforcement for the catch
mechanism on the opposite edge of the door.

There is precious little reinforcement on the proper side. I've been called
in twice to fit mortice locks to internal doors which have actually been
hung the wrong way by people who don't read instructions. But you are
right, there is no 'lock block' on the hinge side.

Have a look at the top egde, there is usually an arrow or something telling
you which side the lock block is. You might be lucky & find it's been
fitted the wrong way round.

Any ideas? Getting a new door appeals - but I lack the decent tools to
trim it to fit.

You only need a power planer. Hire one? Or buy a Wickes jobby for £22
http://tinyurl.com/rug3b

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Service door in a garage door Todd Home Repair 9 October 14th 05 10:32 PM
Cutting down an internal door a lot Andrew Gabriel UK diy 4 April 9th 05 03:16 PM
Internal Door Lock Sean Delere UK diy 5 March 27th 05 04:09 PM
New internal Door into integral garage in a townhouse question Paul \( Skiing8 \) UK diy 5 January 4th 05 09:28 PM
Sharp microwave oven problem Pat Electronics Repair 12 November 19th 04 11:07 PM