Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring a bathroom pull-cord light switch

Advice needed...

I have this bathroom light switch which has three connections: S1, S2
and COM.

My ohm meter shows that when the light switch cord is pulled, a
connection is made between COM and S1. When you pull the cord again,
it changes to a connection between COM and S2. Pull it again and it
goes back to a connection between COM and S1.

The cable from the mains has a red a black and a bare copper earth.
The cable to the light is the same type.

What is the correct way to wire up the switch?

Thank you.

Al Deveron
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al Deveron wrote:

Advice needed...

I have this bathroom light switch which has three connections: S1, S2
and COM.

[...]

The cable from the mains has a red a black and a bare copper earth.
The cable to the light is the same type.

What is the correct way to wire up the switch?

You're saying that the mains feed comes into the switch first? In that
case you want

- Red (L) feed to COM
- Red (L) light to either S1 or S2

It doesn't actually matter which way round the reds go, so long as one
goes to COM and the other to S1 or S2. Then

- 2 x Black (N) connected together in a small terminal block or an
in-line insulated crimp connector; ensure that this cannot short to L or
E; insulate with heatshrink sleeving if necessary

- 2 x Earth sleeved in green/yellow and connected together in the earth
terminal provided in the mounting pattress (or with a terminal block or
in-line crimp if no earth terminal is present).

I assume the wiring is existing; if new you should be using the new
colours where L is brown and N is blue.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Al Deveron contains these words:

What is the correct way to wire up the switch?

Red and black to Com and S1 respectively, bare wire sleeved with
green/yellow sleeving and taken to the earth terminal in the backbox, if
there is one - which there should be.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:32:38 +0100, Andy Wade
wrote:

Al Deveron wrote:

Advice needed...

I have this bathroom light switch which has three connections: S1, S2
and COM.

[...]

The cable from the mains has a red a black and a bare copper earth.
The cable to the light is the same type.

What is the correct way to wire up the switch?

You're saying that the mains feed comes into the switch first?

Yes; that's the way I'm planning to do it.

In that
case you want

- Red (L) feed to COM
- Red (L) light to either S1 or S2

It doesn't actually matter which way round the reds go, so long as one
goes to COM and the other to S1 or S2. Then

- 2 x Black (N) connected together in a small terminal block or an
in-line insulated crimp connector; ensure that this cannot short to L or
E; insulate with heatshrink sleeving if necessary

- 2 x Earth sleeved in green/yellow and connected together in the earth
terminal provided in the mounting pattress (or with a terminal block or
in-line crimp if no earth terminal is present).

I assume the wiring is existing; if new you should be using the new
colours where L is brown and N is blue.

That's it! Thank you kindly for the help.

Al D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al Deveron wrote:

The cable from the mains has a red a black and a bare copper earth.
The cable to the light is the same type.

There is some possibility for confusion here...!

If you really do mean that the mains feed comes to the switch position -
i.e. there is a cable in and another out to the light, then Andy gave
you the correct wiring.

If however you only have one cable into the switch position, then there
is also the possibility that you are in fact looking at a switch wire
from a "loop in" wiring arangement. Here the mains in will go the
ceiling rose (or light fitting), another mains out may run to the next
light in another room, and there will be a switch wire that runs to the
switch. If that is the case, then you need Guy's wiring.

What is the correct way to wire up the switch?

That depends! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:27:20 +0100 someone who may be Guy King
wrote this:-

What is the correct way to wire up the switch?

Red and black to Com and S1 respectively, bare wire sleeved with
green/yellow sleeving and taken to the earth terminal in the backbox, if
there is one - which there should be.

That is assuming there is only one cable coming into the switch,
from a ceiling rose or junction box. What the OP has outlined is a
supply cable coming into the switch and another cable then being run
to the lamp.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from David Hansen contains these words:

That is assuming there is only one cable coming into the switch,
from a ceiling rose or junction box. What the OP has outlined is a
supply cable coming into the switch and another cable then being run
to the lamp.

That wasn't how I read it, I missed the bit about the second cable.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:25:26 +0100 someone who may be Guy King
wrote this:-

That is assuming there is only one cable coming into the switch,
from a ceiling rose or junction box. What the OP has outlined is a
supply cable coming into the switch and another cable then being run
to the lamp.

That wasn't how I read it, I missed the bit about the second cable.

Looking at the times of the postings on the server I don't think the
clarification had been made when you posted, but it had been when I
did. I should perhaps have pointed this out in my posting, but
didn't notice it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Wiring a ceiling fan with light [email protected] Home Ownership 6 June 15th 06 08:55 PM
Wiring a new light switch Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 0 May 19th 06 04:41 AM
Switch controlling Bathroom Light, Fan, and Outlet [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 18th 06 06:07 PM
Light switch problem John Home Repair 5 April 2nd 06 03:59 PM
Touch sensitive Light switch for bathroom BigWallop UK diy 9 October 28th 03 08:38 PM