Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice please on moving soil stack

Hi all

at present, my soil stack is an ugly rusting thing. Our house is an "L"
shaped bungalow on the corner of the road. The longer sides face the
road, and the shorter sides face the back garden.

The soil stack is situated right in the corner of the back (where the 2
shorter sides meet). It goes up about 6'6", and then has an angled
piece to carry it higher than the guttering.

Apart from looking ugly, the gap between the pipe and the fascia is
about 4" ... and that's after I put some stand offs on the wall to try
and move it off a bit.

Ideally I'd like to replace it with a plastic one.

Questions :

1) Looking at the base, it appears the existing pipe just comes out of
the concrete. How exactly does the pipe mate with the sewer, and how
would I need to get a new plastic pipe to seal tightly ?

2) Instead of the angled bend, I'd like to put the pipe through the
eaves, throught the loft, and use a weather slate to pass it to the
outside. However, if I follow the line of the pipe directly up through
the eaves, it hits the gulley where the two angles of the roof meet.
There's about 6" clearance between the eaves and the gulley. Is this
enough to make an bend INSIDE the loft, and bring the pipe out
somewhere else ?

3) What would be involved in moving the whole thing ?

Thanks in advance all

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

could I use an air admittance valve to remove the need for the stack ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The stack probably fits into an salt glazed clay pipe inside the concrete.
Be careful chopping into this, the clay pipe can fracture. You can get
plastic adapters to meet your requirements, though it might take a bit of
headscratching to figure out which to use. Mate the assembly together, and
seal in position with concrete. The concrete will prevent any leakage. In
fact the standard bodge for a leaking glazed clay pipe is to cast concrete
around the leak.

The rest I don't know,

Andy.

Connecting bathroom waste pipe to the soil stack Lobster UK diy 6 June 15th 06 02:23 PM
cast iron soil stack firefox UK diy 15 May 13th 06 12:38 AM
Advice needed for ideas for moving Radiator pipes M.D.Palmer UK diy 11 December 31st 05 12:18 PM
soil stack ANDREW LENWEY UK diy 1 October 23rd 05 08:32 AM
Moving a soil pipe - advice John UK diy 5 April 15th 04 12:47 PM