Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cill replacement on sash windows.

So far so good - all the rotten wood stripped out and new wood being cut
ready to fix in to the cut out sections.

What would be the best waterproof glue/sealer to put on the bottom of the
cill to stick it to the concrete base - I was going to use a combination of
long screws from the inside and ordinary wood glue to pull the new bits in
tight which is fine laterally but not horizontally.

TIA

--
Buzby
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So far so good - all the rotten wood stripped out and new wood being cut
ready to fix in to the cut out sections.

What would be the best waterproof glue/sealer to put on the bottom of the
cill to stick it to the concrete base - I was going to use a combination
of long screws from the inside and ordinary wood glue to pull the new bits
in tight which is fine laterally but not horizontally.

but not vertically . . . .

DOH!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buzby wrote:
So far so good - all the rotten wood stripped out and new wood being cut
ready to fix in to the cut out sections.

Not a method that has ever worked for me. The new bits move and create
gaps where they join the original, and any filler able to withstand that
kind of flexing is too different in texture. Whole sections like cills
are ok but not smaller bits.

What would be the best waterproof glue/sealer to put on the bottom of the
cill to stick it to the concrete base - I was going to use a combination of
long screws from the inside and ordinary wood glue to pull the new bits in
tight which is fine laterally but not horizontally.

I use car body filler for this kind of thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Buzby wrote:
So far so good - all the rotten wood stripped out and new wood being cut
ready to fix in to the cut out sections.

Not a method that has ever worked for me. The new bits move and create
gaps where they join the original, and any filler able to withstand that
kind of flexing is too different in texture. Whole sections like cills
are ok but not smaller bits.

What would be the best waterproof glue/sealer to put on the bottom of the
cill to stick it to the concrete base - I was going to use a combination of
long screws from the inside and ordinary wood glue to pull the new bits in
tight which is fine laterally but not horizontally.

I use car body filler for this kind of thing.

Yes best either to bodge with filler and give good paint job, or to do
a proper job and remove/rebuild window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks - the bits I'm fitting in are just over a metre each which I think
will go in pretty cleanly (hopefully!) with the inner join literally just
under the sliding sash window.

We'll see!

Cheers

Buzby

Replacement Windows Carl Home Repair 33 June 17th 06 02:10 AM
Replacement Windows Carl Home Ownership 29 June 17th 06 02:10 AM
joinery on old windows Joseph O'Brien Woodworking 7 May 5th 06 04:29 PM
Vinyl Replacement Windows - Advice ? elvindeath Home Repair 2 November 16th 05 05:36 PM
Installing Replacement Windows José Domínguez Home Repair 4 March 7th 04 12:07 PM