Posted to uk.d-i-y
jks jks is offline

Default To bypass or not to bypass (UFH Central Heating)

I have recently had wet underfloor heating and a new combi boiler
installed. The flow and return go from the boiler through a
thermostatic mixing valve to the 7 port manifold for the UFH. There is
a pump within the combi and I also have a pump on the flow pipe between
the TMV and the manifold. I only have 3 ports on the manifold being
used at the moment (ground floor only).

I am experiencing loud noises (rumbling/vibration) from the boiler at
various times when the UFH is on (don't get the noise when drawing
domestic hot water).

The combi boiler instructions (Glow-Worm 38cxi) state that there is an
internal automatic bypass valve fitted and open one half turn.
However, the diagram below it shows an optional ("if required")
external bypass. It also states that a minumum flow rate of 1289 l/h
(20 l/min) should be maintained at all times.

Do you think the boiler noise I am experiencing is down to me requiring
another bypass in the system. Or should I try adjusting the internal
bypass valve?

I really hope I have made sense!

thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jks wrote:
[...]

Yes, I think you have spotted the problem. The pump needs to push water
around for the BOILER thermostat to work properly. Depending on the
boiler..it may have to high a temp..

The bypass loop itself may actually be a bit loud running full bore.
If you have adjustable pump speed on the boiler try reducing it a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jks jks is offline

Yes, I think you have spotted the problem. The pump needs to push water
around for the BOILER thermostat to work properly. Depending on the
boiler..it may have to high a temp..

The bypass loop itself may actually be a bit loud running full bore.
If you have adjustable pump speed on the boiler try reducing it a bit.

No adjustment of speed on the boiler pump available unfortunatley.
Should I try adjusting the automatic bypass valve on the boiler? The
noise from it can not be anything like as loud as the noise we have at
the moment (it wakes us up early in the morning and we are on the other
side of the house!)!!!! I think my question still stands about whether
it is normal practise to add another bypass in addition to the one on
the boiler??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jks wrote:
Yes, I think you have spotted the problem. The pump needs to push water
around for the BOILER thermostat to work properly. Depending on the
boiler..it may have to high a temp..

The bypass loop itself may actually be a bit loud running full bore.
If you have adjustable pump speed on the boiler try reducing it a bit.

No adjustment of speed on the boiler pump available unfortunatley.
Should I try adjusting the automatic bypass valve on the boiler? The
noise from it can not be anything like as loud as the noise we have at
the moment (it wakes us up early in the morning and we are on the other
side of the house!)!!!! I think my question still stands about whether
it is normal practise to add another bypass in addition to the one on
the boiler??

That I do not know..I certainly don't bother - as soon as the UFH stops
wanting heat the primary circuit temp rises and the boiler shuts down.
Cos when I want UFH it usually is all I can get the mixing valve
never closes up completely. Too much pipework under the floors and too
much heat transfer..