Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Would this dehumidifier be OK ?

Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?

if its humidistatic

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:
Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Possibly, but there are no specification there, or anywhere else
I can see.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:
Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Possibly, but there are no specification there, or anywhere else
I can see.

And you're going to be emptying it 4to5 times a day?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:47:01 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:
Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Possibly, but there are no specification there, or anywhere else
I can see.

And you're going to be emptying it 4to5 times a day?

I think mine would have to be underwater to extract 10 litres in one
day. :-)

Mark S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark S. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:47:01 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:
Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid
damp problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Possibly, but there are no specification there, or anywhere else
I can see.

And you're going to be emptying it 4to5 times a day?

I think mine would have to be underwater to extract 10 litres in one
day. :-)

Mark S.

Depends on how damp the room is and if the doors and windows are ket
shut,even so mine a 5 litre tank but still takes 36hours to fill.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:
Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Possibly, but there are no specification there, or anywhere else
I can see.

And you're going to be emptying it 4to5 times a day?

A load of washing, after a fast spin, holds something like a
litre of water. I use this technique with a dehumidifier to
quickly dry a load of washing in an airing cupboard. If you
have another load of washing to do afterwards, you can empty
the container at the same time. Mine is a 400W 16l/day
refrigerant based dehumidifier, and takes about an hour to
dry a load of washing from the machine.

Close the door to the room so the moisture doesn't escape
and/or you don't start trying to dry the whole house, and
it helps retain the heat from the dehumidifier which also
helps with the drying. If it's a small room or cupboard,
run the dehumidifier through a plug in thermostat set to
the max operating temperature of the dehumidifier, so it
can't overheat.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Sep 2006 08:25:29 -0700, "sm_jamieson"
wrote:

Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Cheers,
Simon.

How about this one?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=668722

Although bigger the tank is 3.6L vs 2L.

If you can have the air blowing out over the clothes this helps a lot,
or have some sort of fan blowing over the clothes instead.

Some blow air out the back which doesn't help if you want to put them
against a wall.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Looks like the air blows out the front.
I'm sure it would do the job though.
Might struggle drying off a batch of "wollies" that didn't get a real
spin cycle as 2 litre capacity seems a little on the light side to me.

Ours is 16L/day @ 350W and blows out the top.
I modified one clothes horse to allow the thing to sit nearly inside the
airer, now I just drape a sheet/blanket over the clothes/dehumidifier to
funnel the air in the right direction. I guess some sort of plastic
tent may be more efficient, but I can't be arsed to experiment.
:¬)

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Would this dehumidifier be OK ?
For use in room where drying clothes indoors, in order to avoid damp
problems / mould etc ?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4150114.htm

Cheers,
Simon.

The simple tried and tested energy-saving traditional option would be
to leave the windows open a bit, and have a bit of background heating
on if poss. If not poss than open the windows a bit more.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

normanwisdom wrote:

The simple tried and tested energy-saving traditional option would be
to leave the windows open a bit, and have a bit of background heating
on if poss. If not poss than open the windows a bit more.

Tried that myself in the early days, but the house got too cold and I'm
not keen on pumping expensive warm air through the windows especially as
windows tend to be up where the warmest air is.
:¬(

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

normanwisdom wrote:

The simple tried and tested energy-saving traditional option would be
to leave the windows open a bit, and have a bit of background heating
on if poss. If not poss than open the windows a bit more.

Yes, and the simple tried and tested energy-saving traditional option
for washing your clothes is by hand on a washboard. Is that how you wash
your clothes?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We've got an Ebac machine and bought a drying tent for it.
Put the clothes on a rack, drape the tent over, bung the
machine in with them and drying is quick and doesn't steam
the house

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
normanwisdom wrote:

The simple tried and tested energy-saving traditional option would be
to leave the windows open a bit, and have a bit of background heating
on if poss. If not poss than open the windows a bit more.

Yes, and the simple tried and tested energy-saving traditional option
for washing your clothes is by hand on a washboard. Is that how you wash
your clothes?

--
Grunff

Nope. We use a washing machine. Unassisted air drying, inside or out,
works perfectly however and always has done. Even in winter outside
when the RH isn't too high. People seem to have forgotten this useful
old-fashioned technique.

cheers

Jacob