UK wiring diagrams domestic

Old September 3rd 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK wiring diagrams domestic

Hello all, does anyone know where I can get some clear wiring diagrams
for a two way switch on a lighting circuit.
I am building an extension and am going to do the first fix myself (
which i beleive i am allowed to do?) and then get someone part P to do
the rest as its a kitchen.

The ring mains will be no issue and the single lighting cct for
upstairs will be no issue.

what i am uncertain of is i need to switch one light in the kitchen
from two locations and another light from just one. I know i'll need a
2G two way switch on one side and a 1G two way on't tother its just the

wiring inbetween em thats a bit flummoxing!!! I'm no lemon ( electronic

engineering) but havent done any domestic installations before.
I take it i will need three and earth between the 2 way switch and
then use the other switch for switching the "one location" light

dunno if I'm making sense!!!

also does anyone know the regs required for depth of channels in walls
for cables and also what is required in the way of conduit/covers for
the cables in the channels?

Thanks in advance

Old September 3rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

For circuit wiring see http://www.userview.co.uk/howto_light_fit.html

Old September 3rd 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-03 18:59:11 +0100, said:

Hello all, does anyone know where I can get some clear wiring diagrams
for a two way switch on a lighting circuit.
I am building an extension and am going to do the first fix myself (
which i beleive i am allowed to do?) and then get someone part P to do
the rest as its a kitchen.

You can do all of it provided that it is included in the scope for the
building control application and is inspected afterwards. You are
having to pay for this anyway, so you might as well make the most of it
and DIY the work.

The ring mains will be no issue and the single lighting cct for
upstairs will be no issue.

what i am uncertain of is i need to switch one light in the kitchen
from two locations and another light from just one. I know i'll need a
2G two way switch on one side and a 1G two way on't tother its just the

wiring inbetween em thats a bit flummoxing!!! I'm no lemon ( electronic

engineering) but havent done any domestic installations before.
I take it i will need three and earth between the 2 way switch and
then use the other switch for switching the "one location" light

dunno if I'm making sense!!!

There are several different ways to do this depending on how you want
the wiring to run.

The most common is to run the lighting circuit between the ceiling
fittings and to run a twin+earth cable to the switch.

However, for this case, another option is to run a three way plus earth
to the 2G switch from the first light fitting and carry neutral as
well. Wire the unswitched live to the common of both switches. Run
another three way plus earth to the second 1G 2way switch carrying the
two connectiions from the 2W switch plus neutral. Then connect the two
switched connections to this switch. The common of this second switch
will now form the switched live to the light fitting and you can carry
through the neutral and earth.

also does anyone know the regs required for depth of channels in walls
for cables and also what is required in the way of conduit/covers for
the cables in the channels?

You can avoid this issue completely by adhering to some cable routing rules.

- Cables may be run vertically or horizontally from a wiring accesory
(e.g. switch).

- Cables may also be run in a 150mm wide band from the corner of a
room, the top of a wall but not the bottom of a wall (i.e. not behind
skirtings.

Thanks in advance

Old September 3rd 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Sep 2006 10:59:11 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

what i am uncertain of is i need to switch one light in the kitchen
from two locations and another light from just one. I know i'll need a
2G two way switch on one side and a 1G two way on't tother its just the

wiring inbetween em thats a bit flummoxing!!!

If you visit a big red shed and buy an individual light switch then
these usually come in a plastic bag. In these plastic bags there is
usually a folded up piece of paper, upon which there are some black
pixels (usually called ink, the overall process is called printing).
The pixels on the paper, think of them as a screen, tend to contain
the information you are looking for:-)

I'm no lemon ( electronic
engineering) but havent done any domestic installations before.

I hope you haven't done any industrial or commercial electrical
installations before. No smiley there, deliberately.

also does anyone know the regs required for depth of channels in walls
for cables and also what is required in the way of conduit/covers for
the cables in the channels?

I suggest that you need to, as a minimum, read the information set
out in
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm and far better
purchase or borrow the book it refers to.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 3rd 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
Hello all, does anyone know where I can get some clear wiring diagrams
for a two way switch on a lighting circuit.

L1 L1
0===========0 0===========0============= Line
| \ / |
C 0================================O C
\ / \ /
0===========0 0===========0============= Switch return
L2 Optional L2
Intermediate

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
jim

wrote this:-

what i am uncertain of is i need to switch one light in the kitchen
from two locations and another light from just one.

//snip//

I'm no lemon ( electronic
engineering) but havent done any domestic installations before.

It would seem you need to reorient yourself. There's a major change of
emphasis in electrical theory when you switch to domestic 240V house
wiring from electronics. In domestic cabling the cables may carry
heavy currents & thus get warm & drop appreciable voltage over the run.
Circuit calcs & routes have to allow for this so the cable does not
get overhot (normal limt 70degC) & keep voltage drop to 4%. Likewise
there's concern about fault conditions and protection and circuits have
to cut out within designated limits of time and/or current.

Unlike electronics domestic electrics doesn't usually concern itself
with the characteristics of what is plugged into a circuit (beyond the
current drawn) nor about inductances or capacitance - only resistive
circuit elements are considered. The main focuses are on the contents
of the Consumer Unit and the sizing and route of cables, unlike
electronics where the major emphasis is on the characteristics of
components.

Suggest you look in your library for books by Whitfield and Scaddan: in
the end it is likely you will want the IEE On-Site Guide.

You would also do well to google this group for all manner of domestic
electrical threads, there's a goldmine of information there.

So far as B Regs & Part P go, specify in the plans submitted or B regs
notice the elec work is involved then you are covered for whatever work
you do yourself wherever it is.

Good luck.

Old September 3rd 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

I had stated NO installations, thats why I asked for advice

Old September 3rd 06, 09:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I have ordered a book on the subject, and have been told on another
group I can do all the work myself if I am submitting full plans (which
I have)

Old September 3rd 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
On 3 Sep 2006 10:59:11 -0700 someone who may be

wrote this:-

//snip//

I had stated NO installations, thats why I asked for advice

Regret I do not follow your drift, but it does rather sound as if you
ARE doing some installation as you are talking about channelling into a
wall.

Judging from your initial post it might be advisable to pause a while
for some basic study before you make a BIG expensive error due to
transferring assumptions that you might make in electronics to domestic
cabling & finding they don't apply.

To put it another way, generally terms in the electrical
equations/calculations which vanish in electronics don't in domestic
cabling & vice versa.

If you know your electronics there should be no trouble understanding
the different flavour of electrical theory as applied to wiring.

Take care.

If I follow the guides for cable sizes with regards floor area and
cable length and follow installation as per regulations I cant see
where I can go wrong. I am only installing one consumer unit two ring
mains ( one spur off one for an extractor hood) two lighting ccts one
switching two ceiling roses and one switching one light two way and
another one way.
A cooker and hob, earth all pipework with 6mm? earth bond and straps
the runs for the cooker and hob will be 5 metres so I take it I will
use 16mm,

the only thing I cant work out in my head is the double switch, but
the book should sort that out.

I would like to complete it myself as I enjoy the "DIY" thing, the
plumbing will be fine as well as the extension of the heating system.

Wiring in a closet CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert Home Repair 10 December 1st 05 08:29 PM
Correcting domestic wiring Jon UK diy 0 November 13th 05 06:08 PM
Wiring diagram for old central heating system Martin Wiseman UK diy 5 October 14th 05 12:17 PM
Stove and fridge aluminum wiring extending with copper... Howie Home Repair 13 January 8th 05 04:18 PM
Changing a room thermostat / wiring Left Nothing UK diy 6 January 6th 04 09:46 AM