Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Indirect Cylinder

Hi Folks, A Quickie [I should be so lucky!!]
I have just installed a new wash hand basin with 10mm tails. The
resultant flow is [putting it mildly] very poor.
I was thinking of changing the connections to the hot water cylinder
from an indirect to direct feed. Can I do this to my existing cylinder
or, because of the increased pressure will I have to fit a new one.
Thanks for your input

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ronnie wrote:

Hi Folks, A Quickie [I should be so lucky!!]
I have just installed a new wash hand basin with 10mm tails. The
resultant flow is [putting it mildly] very poor.
I was thinking of changing the connections to the hot water cylinder
from an indirect to direct feed. Can I do this to my existing cylinder
or, because of the increased pressure will I have to fit a new one.
Thanks for your input

If you mean do away with the gravity CW header tank and feed mains directly
into the hot cylinder, DON'T DO IT!

Normal cylinders are *not* designed for mains pressure. It is very
dangerous - and illegal. Mains pressure cylinders are specially designed -
with lots of safety gizzmos built in - and have to be installed by someone
who has undertaken the appropriate training. You can't legally DIY them.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ronnie wrote:
Hi Folks, A Quickie [I should be so lucky!!]
I have just installed a new wash hand basin with 10mm tails. The
resultant flow is [putting it mildly] very poor.
I was thinking of changing the connections to the hot water cylinder
from an indirect to direct feed. Can I do this to my existing cylinder
or, because of the increased pressure will I have to fit a new one.
Thanks for your input

Its the 10mm tap tails that are your problem. No way round that other
than to fit different tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was thinking of changing the connections to the hot water cylinder
from an indirect to direct feed. Can I do this to my existing cylinder
or, because of the increased pressure will I have to fit a new one.
Thanks for your input

Its the 10mm tap tails that are your problem. No way round that other
than to fit different tap.

Or to increase the pressure, as the OP intends. Obviously, the initially
proposed solution of the OP to convert the existing gravity cylinder would
be extraordinarily dangerous. However, the principle is sound (provided the
cylinder is replaced), provided the mains water supply is adequete.

To do safely, it would require the replacement of the hot water cylinder
with either an cylinder unvented cylinder or heat bank. This will cost a
considerable amount of money, but would have significant additional
benefits. The shower, for example, will be exceptional, without the need for
pumps. The bath will fill rapidly. Bulky cold water tanks that are
succeptible to freezing are no longer required in the loft. In the case of
the heat bank, the hot water becomes potable, so can be used in the kettle,
or even directly for hot drinks.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Bookworm wrote:
Hi Folks, A Quickie [I should be so lucky!!]
I have just installed a new wash hand basin with 10mm tails. The
resultant flow is [putting it mildly] very poor.
I was thinking of changing the connections to the hot water cylinder
from an indirect to direct feed. Can I do this to my existing cylinder
or, because of the increased pressure will I have to fit a new one.
Thanks for your input

Its the 10mm tap tails that are your problem. No way round that other
than to fit different tap.

I've got 10mm tails to both basin and bidet in my bathroom with only the
basin cold fed off the mains. And I'd describe the flow as adequate -
surely you don't want high pressure from either splashing all over the
place?

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW