Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing window pane. 'Putty' recommendations.

Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
the last one but that was five years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liam wrote:

Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
the last one but that was five years ago.

linseed oil putty. Give the tub a squeeze before paying, it hsould all
be soft.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:24:20 +0100, Liam wrote:

|Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
|pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
|the last one but that was five years ago.

I moved over to Butyl putty some years ago
It does not set like linseed. IMO much better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liam wrote:
Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
the last one but that was five years ago.

Linseed oil putty sets rock hard over time and is the major cause of rot
in the lower part of sliding sashes. The thicker layer used in casement
windows has a better chance of survival but basically it has nothing
going for it compared to acrylics. They can be overpainted within a
couple of hours and stay flexible. IIRC Vallance do a universal sealant
suitable for glazing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liam wrote:
Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
the last one but that was five years ago.

This looks like an acrylic

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=CDO1JMQMRQS3GCSTHZOSFFI?id=9905 8&ts=42578

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
the last one but that was five years ago.

Thank you all for your advice.This time I had a bit of a job to find a
shop selling glass cut to size. Three local ones had shut. Eventually
found one still open. Only silicone and linseed oil available so I
ended up using linseed oil putty again. Will get some Acrylic from
Screwfix to try on the next one.Wish you all a restful bank holiday.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
the last one but that was five years ago.

Thank you all for your advice.This time I had a bit of a job to find a
shop selling glass cut to size. Three local ones had shut. Eventually
found one still open. Only silicone and linseed oil available so I
ended up using linseed oil putty again. Will get some Acrylic from
Screwfix to try on the next one.Wish you all a restful bank holiday.

I thought acrylic sealants were generally not as long lived as
silicone, which itself isnt longlived enough for wooden glazing.
Linseed normally lasts over a century. It can fail of course, but as
often as acrylic? I doubt it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
You've obviously never watched a glazier puttying a window. It is
precisely because it's so cheap and fast to apply that they continue
using it.

The is a glazier who is doing it day in and day out. We mere mortals
only put the odd pane of glass in and silicone is the easy way out.

Putty has had its day. It is obsolete because its so difficult to
remove

Not half as difficult as silicone. Glaziers won't touch windows where it
has been used

Glaziers are not DIY men. We are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message om
from contains these words:

Glaziers are not DIY men.

Quite so. They have a merry glaziers' song, for a start.

http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...nds/gasman.mp3

(Flanders and Swann - The Gasman Cometh)

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
You must have realised by now that linseed putty is *only* effective

if
it *doesn't* dry, which it may not for many years if protected by paint
and a favourable aspect. On a south facing window the chances are minimal.
Don't you think it's time you started thinking about these things rather
than just spouting dogma? Have you never picked lengths of putty out of
a window with your fingernail? You can snap then into 3mm pieces. That's
what I call inflexible (and useless).

precisely and if mr meeow ever had to replace a broken pane of glass he
would know all about removing old putty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

The amazing thing is that some of it survives very well, but rarely on
the bottom of the window where it is most needed.

correct and if you examine old windows there is almost always a fine
gap between the putty and the glass which allows the rain to get down
to the wood and rot it.
I have had to replace windows that were 30 years old and yet some old
pitch pine windows are still sound after two hundred years. So his
talk of window age is more down to the quality of the wood than the
work of the putty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

on most 100 yr old houses most of the putty is still original

Dream on
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I shall remember in future that knowing anything you dont makes me a
pompous whatnot. I dont see what difference it makes really. But it is
odd that you persist in arguing your point of view when not
understanding the relevant concepts.

the main point we were debating was the use of the putty against
silicone.

We all agree putty lasts a long time but it does let the rain in, it
cracks up and is difficult to apply for a diy person and terribly
difficult to remove in a broken glass situation.
Silicone is easily applied and a perfect seal against the rain. A bed
of silicone on the timber first and a finish outside the glass gives a
terrific weather seal in a few minutes.
100 years ago they didnt have silicone and I dare say it they did you
would be talking about the 100 year old silicone now.

I agree with much of what you say, but its all minor in comparison to
the real point, which is that linseed lasts many times as long as any
of those alternatives. Thats what counts, and thats why a 100 year old
house done with silicone would have more rot than one done with
linseed. MTTF (mean time to failure) is all important.

Linseed does not let rain in, not until its reached end of life. Nor is
it diffcult to apply IME. I last applied it hanging out of a window
semi- upside down, and had no difficulty doing so.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I agree with much of what you say, but its all minor in comparison

the real point, which is that linseed lasts many times as long as any
of those alternatives. Thats what counts, and thats why a 100 year old
house done with silicone would have more rot than one done with
linseed. MTTF (mean time to failure) is all important.

Linseed does not let rain in, not until its reached end of life. Nor is
it diffcult to apply IME. I last applied it hanging out of a window
semi- upside down, and had no difficulty doing so.

Silicone is untried for time because its relatively new in the market.

nearly all my puttied windows have tiny gaps between the hard putty and
the glass and this lets the rain down the glass to the wood. Its the
same everywhere I look.

you are probably handy at putting on putty but its tricky for a layman
and most dont even know how to soften it. then its terrible to get off
your hands and stinks.
If you had to reputty your own window surely that proves that the putty
wasnt up to the job you are saying it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I agree with much of what you say, but its all minor in comparison to
the real point, which is that linseed lasts many times as long as any
of those alternatives. Thats what counts, and thats why a 100 year old
house done with silicone would have more rot than one done with
linseed. MTTF (mean time to failure) is all important.

Linseed does not let rain in, not until its reached end of life. Nor is
it diffcult to apply IME. I last applied it hanging out of a window
semi- upside down, and had no difficulty doing so.

Silicone is untried for time because its relatively new in the market.

yes, only time will tell us for sure. But I've probably seen more
silicone failures during its short existence than I have from linseed
on century old houses, hence I stick with linseed.

nearly all my puttied windows have tiny gaps between the hard putty and
the glass and this lets the rain down the glass to the wood. Its the
same everywhere I look.

So either theyre not painted properly, or the putty has failed, or the
wood has swollen due to paint failure. Linseed should always be
overpainted where it meets the glass, this painting fills the hairline
crack its prone to. It may sound a bit crude but it works well enough
in practice.

you are probably handy at putting on putty but its tricky for a layman
and most dont even know how to soften it. then its terrible to get off
your hands and stinks.

its totally harmless, and smells nice enough. The components, if of
adequate grade, are both edible.

If you had to reputty your own window surely that proves that the putty
wasnt up to the job you are saying it is.

MTTF of 100 yrs or more is perfectly consistent with some failures.
AFAIK theres no putty that will produce 0 failures per century, but
linseed has come closest so far. I'd like to see the day we have
something that beats it, but I dont believe acrylic or silicone show
much sign of lasting as well. Its not perfect but it does last
relatively well.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Linseed should always be
overpainted where it meets the glass, this painting fills the hairline
crack its prone to. It may sound a bit crude but it works well enough
in practice.

Look, the main requirement for any material sitting at the bottom of a
sheet of glass where it joins a piece of wood has to be that it doesn't
crack. Linseed putty cracks. Get over it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MTTF of 100 yrs or more is perfectly consistent with some failures.

It has failed when the first hairline crack appears

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Linseed should always be
overpainted where it meets the glass, this painting fills the hairline
crack its prone to. It may sound a bit crude but it works well enough
in practice.

Look, the main requirement for any material sitting at the bottom of a
sheet of glass where it joins a piece of wood has to be that it doesn't
crack. Linseed putty cracks. Get over it.

Good luck with your acrylic then.