General advice sought on gravelling a garden

Old August 29th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default General advice sought on gravelling a garden

wrote in message
ps.com...

1) dig out existing topsoil down six inches or so

If that is all gravel, it will be difficult to walk on. Lay a couple of
inches of well-compacted MOT sub-base and a couple of inches of gravel on
top of that.

1a) remove large volume of topsoil from site

2) lay impermeable plastic layer to kill weeds

As others have pointed out, semi-permeable membrane is the right stuff.

3) get gravel delivered from local builders yard
4) haul gravel up onto garden (it's about 2 feet above ground level, so
I think this necessitates a 'barrow and has to be done by hand) and
spread it out with a rake.

The driver should be able to dump the bag on your new gravel area.

The garden is quite small -- about 12ftx8ft, or thereabouts. The guy in
the local builder's yard reckoned a half-ton of chippings, quite chunky
ones (10-15mm or so, by eye). Does the amount seem about right to
everyone?

Doesn't sound enough to me. It took six tonnes to do a 3m radius circle and
some paths in my house to 50mm deep. It is also worth specifying 20mm grid
chippings. They are far less attractive to cats as a litter tray than
smaller sizes.

Colin Bignell

Old August 29th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

For heavens sake dont use Bark Chippings. They are APITA. They attract
woodlice by the million. They rot down and need replacing. When the
wind blows the top ones dry off and blow everywhere.

I have the entire back garden bark chipped - the birds love it...

Yes, they rot and need adding to on an annual basis, but our two dogs
probably scatter more than the wind blows...

Ours is very shallow (2" max in places) but it still does a very good
job at keeping weeds down generally.
Old August 29th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi list!

I'm interested in putting gravel down to replace the grass in my small
front garden, mostly to reduce maintenance (terrace house, so to mow
it I have to drag the mower through the house). Would I be right in
saying the job is roughly:

1) dig out existing topsoil down six inches or so
2) lay impermeable plastic layer to kill weeds
3) get gravel delivered from local builders yard
4) haul gravel up onto garden (it's about 2 feet above ground level,
so I think this necessitates a 'barrow and has to be done by hand) and
spread it out with a rake.

The garden is quite small -- about 12ftx8ft, or thereabouts. The guy
in the local builder's yard reckoned a half-ton of chippings, quite
chunky ones (10-15mm or so, by eye). Does the amount seem about right
to everyone?

What about compacting, either the earth underneath or the gravel once
laid? This garden won't be walked on often or driven on, so is
compaction necessary?

Finally, costs. Seems like the DIY approach will be pretty cheap -- a
decent shovel and barrow, 10 or so for the impermeable layer, and
about 35 for the chippings. Have I missed something off the list? And
does anyone have any idea roughly what it would be cost to have the
job done by a professional? I've rung a half-dozen firms but none of
them are answering the phone.

Any help greatfully received!

No barrier will stop weeds because they grow from the top down not from
underneath, that is to say, seeds blow in and are delivered by birds and
take root, there will be enough dust, dead leaves and other debris under the
gravel for them to survive easily unless you use pathclear every 6 months,
in which case you don't need a weed barrier.

6 inches is way too deep, and if you do choose to go 6 inches, you will
require almost 2 tonnes (1 tonne covers 10m2 @ 4 inch deep)

Aside from the problems of gravel mixing with surrounding soil, or soil
coming up through the gravel, you seem to be making an awful lot of work
just to get rid of a bit of lawn, why not just lay paving flags over it and
put some planters on it? - as others have said, you will need a skip to get
rid of the soil (120), 2 tonnes of whatever (60) plus delivery.
If you lay flags on it you only need to remove the turf (about 2 inches
deep), these can be composted or someone may take them away if they want
them...
Twenty-four 2X2ft flags @ 3 each = 72, plus a few bags of sand and cement
at about 10, it should be finished in less than two days (DIY) and you'll
have a solid surface for walking on, putting ladders on etc and it's easily
kept clean.

Old August 29th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:27:54 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

. It is also worth specifying 20mm grid
chippings. They are far less attractive to cats as a litter tray than
smaller sizes.

Agreed. They also don't get picked up in the soles of your shoes and
walked into the house as much as the smaller stuff (nor get stuck in
car/bike tyres)

Cheers,

John

Old August 30th 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi list!

I'm interested in putting gravel down to replace the grass in my small
front garden, mostly to reduce maintenance (terrace house, so to mow
it I have to drag the mower through the house). Would I be right in
saying the job is roughly:

1) dig out existing topsoil down six inches or so

Dont bother, gravel right over it.

2) lay impermeable plastic layer to kill weeds

Use a decent weed control fabric.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/160172

3) get gravel delivered from local builders yard

Yup. In 1 Tonne bags. Go for 18mm gravel, it won't move about as much as
10mm.

4) haul gravel up onto garden (it's about 2 feet above ground level,
so I think this necessitates a 'barrow and has to be done by hand) and
spread it out with a rake.

The Hiab on the delivery truck will easily lift over that.

The garden is quite small -- about 12ftx8ft, or thereabouts. The guy
in the local builder's yard reckoned a half-ton of chippings, quite
chunky ones (10-15mm or so, by eye). Does the amount seem about right
to everyone?

About right for 18mm

What about compacting, either the earth underneath or the gravel once
laid? This garden won't be walked on often or driven on, so is
compaction necessary?

Not unless you drive/walk on it.

Finally, costs. Seems like the DIY approach will be pretty cheap -- a
decent shovel and barrow, 10 or so for the impermeable layer, and
about 35 for the chippings. Have I missed something off the list?

A back support belt if you are 40+ ! Gravel in 1 tonne bags doesn't spread
itself when you cut the bag open. You have to shovel, barrow & rake.

And
does anyone have any idea roughly what it would be cost to have the
job done by a professional? I've rung a half-dozen firms but none of
them are answering the phone.

I would charge about a days labour + gravel + weed control fabric, + a
margin on a job like this, so about 300.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman