Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vent for gas boiler

My mother recently had her annual central heating service and safety
check by Scottish Gas. They have advised that she needs a 100cm2 wall
vent ("direct to the outside") in the kitchen where the (conventional
flue) boiler is. There is an existing vent in the floor in front of the
boiler. I don't know the size of this vent but it's likely to be a bit
smaller than 100cm2. The floor is wooden suspended - probably about 18"
to 2' off the ground, and there is an external vent in the wall under
the floor in the kitchen.

The layout of the kitchen along the outside wall is boiler
(freestanding with a fair gap either side), then electric cooker (again
freestanding), then washing machine (again freestanding, but under a
worktop/side supports, a couple of inches gap either side). The washing
machine is also under a window.

According to my mother (who is 86, & often gets things confused), the
engineer said the vent should go behind the washing machine under the
window, however she didn't know *why* he suggested that (perhaps
easiest access for him + drill?). I can't think of any advantage having
the vent partially obscured by a washing machine and under a window.
Behind the boiler is the obvious place to put it, but it wouldn't be
quite so easy to get access from the inside, and the area is tiled
(although after 40 years of boiler heat I'm fairly sure the tiles could
be persuaded to come off the wall in one piece, and there may be a few
spares kicking around.

There's obviously a safety angle to this, I think SG's quote for the
work is very reasonable (£66), so I'm quite happy to have the work
done, but not if there's no need for it.

I have two questions:

(1) Is it necessary to have such a vent in a situation where the vent
can be provided via a suspended floor, or does it have to be directly
through an outside wall? I'm thinking that enlarging the existing vent
might be an option.

(2) If it has to be done, is there any reason why the vent should go
behind the washing machine and under the window, when it could be put
almost directly behind the boiler, where it would be less likely to
cause a draught, and would be supplying air directly to the boiler?

Thanks
Biggles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:14:49 -0700, b-f-g wrote:

[...]

I have a certain sense of deja-vu about this type of thread...

The requirements for ventilation are as set out in BS 5400-2 (links
below). You will need
to know the input power of the boiler in order to work out the required
ventilation. The first 7kW is "free". The floor vent may have to be
bigger because it is not directly from outside air.

Behind the washing machine will not cause a draught and may let the
installer off some making good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . uk
from Ed Sirett contains these words:

Behind the washing machine will not cause a draught and may let the
installer off some making good.

The original vents for the boilers on this estate were on the front
kitchen wall behind the washing machine and on the flank kitchen wall
top and bottom. Plenty. Except in many cases the front door has been
moved to beyond the vents on the flank and you can often see tape over
the vents in the front wall.
Arguably this doesn't matter for many of the boilers as looking up you
can see from the terminal on the roof that they've been changed to a
balanced flue.

However, I'm sure most of them are still using gas hobs with no
appreciable ventilation in the kitchen at all.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:14:30 +0100, Guy King wrote:

However, I'm sure most of them are still using gas hobs with no
appreciable ventilation in the kitchen at all.

Also in BS 5440-2 are the rules for FLUELESS appliances like hobs.
The rule is that no additional purpose provided ventilation is required
provided:
a) The room is 10m^3
b) There is a door, window or other opening direct to outside air.

Indirect Pandora Heatbank and Man Micromat/Boiler compatability [email protected] UK diy 40 May 24th 06 09:19 PM
oil boiler convert from power vent to chimney #2 [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 22nd 05 05:02 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM